Should I be upping my calories...?

Options
13»

Replies

• smc864
    smc864 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    No you should not eat back your exercise calories, because you are doing the TDEE-20% method. Just stick to 1500 per day.

Also, I would adjust your macros a bit... 15% protein is too low.

I like to do 35% carbs, 35% protein, 30% fat.
  • sunnshhiine
    sunnshhiine Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    No you should not eat back your exercise calories, because you are doing the TDEE-20% method. Just stick to 1500 per day.

Also, I would adjust your macros a bit... 15% protein is too low.

I like to do 35% carbs, 35% protein, 30% fat.

Thank you! I will adjust... although, i am usually always over on my carbs (mostly from fruit). I need to go back to eating fish every day like I used to.
  • sunnshhiine
    Options
    Just adjusted my macros to the following (trying to be realistic about it):

DAILY NUTRITIONAL GOALS ---

NET CALORIES CONSUMED: 1500 calories
    CARBS: 40%
    PROTEIN: 30%
    FAT: 30%

FITNESS GOALS ---

CALORIES BURNED/WEEK: 740 cals/week
    WORKOUTS/WEEK: 5 workouts
    MINUTES/WORKOUT: 30 minutes

YOUR DIET PROFILE ---

CALORIES BURNED (FROM NORMAL DAILY ACTIVITY): 1780 calories/day
    NET CALORIES CONSUMED* (YOUR DAILY GOAL): 1500 calories/day

DAILY CALORIE DEFICIT: 280 calories
    PROJECTED WEIGHT LOSS: 0.6 lbs/week

*Net Calories Consumed = Total Calories Consumed - Exercise Calories Burned.
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    Just want to thank the OP and contributors to this thread. I switched from MFP calculations to TDEE last week and have seen a one pound gain this week. I even bought a body fat measurement device to try and get a more accurate TDEE because it seemed like way too much food, and I thought I had sabotaged myself. I can see now I probably increased my calorie intake too quickly and need to give it a week or so before I deem it a success or failure. Thanks for all the clarification and advice...I'm able to stop kicking myself today! :smile:
  • sunnshhiine
    Options
    Just want to thank the OP and contributors to this thread. I switched from MFP calculations to TDEE last week and have seen a one pound gain this week. I even bought a body fat measurement device to try and get a more accurate TDEE because it seemed like way too much food, and I thought I had sabotaged myself. I can see now I probably increased my calorie intake too quickly and need to give it a week or so before I deem it a success or failure. Thanks for all the clarification and advice...I'm able to stop kicking myself today! :smile:

That's what I'm afraid of -- seeing a gain and completely flipping out! HOWEVER, with all the clarification and encouragement given in this thread -- I'm excited about what lies ahead and I can't wait to EAT MY STINKIN' HEART OUT TONIGHT AT DINNER!!! LOL.
  • emirror
    emirror Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    Fruit kills me on my carbs, too. I eat a LOT of fish. The more protein you can get, the fuller you will feel. There are some days that I really have a hard time eating my 1520 calories, because there is so much protein in my diet. I eat pretty much the same thing every day, and it does get boring, but the past month has been amazing for getting my weight dropping again and not having bouts of hunger. I have eliminated almost all dairy and grain, but that is not for any other health reason, so I do sometimes eat them for a treat. Not having to think about what I am going to eat has really removed a lot of time spent dwelling on food. Perhaps you can find a daily menu that will hit all of your goals, and then try to eat it consistently for a few weeks?

To make your diary public:

"My Home"

"Settings"

"Diary Settings"

"Diary Sharing" = Public

"Save Changes"
  • sunnshhiine
    Options
    Fruit kills me on my carbs, too. I eat a LOT of fish. The more protein you can get, the fuller you will feel. There are some days that I really have a hard time eating my 1520 calories, because there is so much protein in my diet. I eat pretty much the same thing every day, and it does get boring, but the past month has been amazing for getting my weight dropping again and not having bouts of hunger. I have eliminated almost all dairy and grain, but that is not for any other health reason, so I do sometimes eat them for a treat. Not having to think about what I am going to eat has really removed a lot of time spent dwelling on food. Perhaps you can find a daily menu that will hit all of your goals, and then try to eat it consistently for a few weeks?

To make your diary public:

"My Home"

"Settings"

"Diary Settings"

"Diary Sharing" = Public

"Save Changes"

That's what I'm going to do then -- more protein! Thank you.

Also, I just made my diary public -- so hopefully you can see it now. :)
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options

That's what I'm afraid of -- seeing a gain and completely flipping out! HOWEVER, with all the clarification and encouragement given in this thread -- I'm excited about what lies ahead and I can't wait to EAT MY STINKIN' HEART OUT TONIGHT AT DINNER!!! LOL.

I hear you! My TDEE tells me to eat 1900 calories a day! I eat about 900-1000 for breakfast, lunch, and two snacks, leaving me with what I call a "buttload" of calories for dinner and I'm afraid to eat them all! (By the way my children have informed me that a buttload is an actual unit of measurement, but it's a liquid measurement which disturbs me.)

I had a good first three months of losing, but I waffle between the idea that I might not be eating enough based on my activity level, and that I might ruin all the good I've done. But I'm going to give it a few weeks and see. It was really nice to take my son out to dinner at Ruby Tuesday's last night while my daughter was getting to see an advance screening of Thor 2, and enjoy not only the delicious cheddar cheese biscuit and crab cake dinner, but also a few bites of his chocolate cake dessert, and still wind up about 100 calories under my daily goal.
  • sunnshhiine
    Options
    I hear you! My TDEE tells me to eat 1900 calories a day! I eat about 900-1000 for breakfast, lunch, and two snacks, leaving me with what I call a "buttload" of calories for dinner and I'm afraid to eat them all! (By the way my children have informed me that a buttload is an actual unit of measurement, but it's a liquid measurement which disturbs me.)

I had a good first three months of losing, but I waffle between the idea that I might not be eating enough based on my activity level, and that I might ruin all the good I've done. But I'm going to give it a few weeks and see. It was really nice to take my son out to dinner at Ruby Tuesday's last night while my daughter was getting to see an advance screening of Thor 2, and enjoy not only the delicious cheddar cheese biscuit and crab cake dinner, but also a few bites of his chocolate cake dessert, and still wind up about 100 calories under my daily goal.

First of all, your entire response above left me in a jealous fit....

A) Thor 2 -- be still my beating heart.
    B) Ruby Tuesday... and their yummy lemonades.
    C) cheddar cheese biscuit
    D) crab. cake. dinner. YUMZO!
    E) chocolate cake... my favorite.

and the whole buttload thing is a tad bit disturbing... LOL
  • emirror
    emirror Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    After looking at your diary, I think you'll be a lot happier with more protein. Try to spread it out over the day. I'm interested to see how it goes for you!!! :-)