Getting Enough Iron

Options
I always track my iron intake because it's something I tend to struggle with. I had my wisdom teeth removed on Friday and I'm still not able to eat much solid food that needs a lot of chewing, so I've been falling very short of my iron intake. My mother has low iron and I've been noticing that I've been experiencing some of the symptoms. Does anyone have ideas for good sources of iron that I can eat while I'm still healing?

Replies

• iheartmy1dog
    Options
    I struggle w/ Iron too. I find that some cereals have a lot of Iron... I'm not sure if you can eat that atm tho? If it gets soggy enough in the milk then it wouldn't really need to be chewed much? I was taking an Iron supplement.. But you gotta be careful not to get too much
  • Im4gin3th4t
    Im4gin3th4t Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Try a green smoothie, I have a terrible blender so I stick with a very simple recipe but mine is this:

1 c. almond milk, unsweet
    1/2 c. OJ
    2 c. spinach
    1 tbsp chia seeds (you can omit if you don't need the extra fat and want to make the recipe simpler)
    1/2 banana 2 pieces ice

blend blend blend
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,871 Member
    Options
    Braised liver is both soft and full of iron.
  • McGruber03
    Options
    Beans and spinach are good vegetable sources of iron. Calcium inhibits iron absorption, while Vitamin C enhances iron absorption. So, avoid high calcium foods for about an hour before and after eating high iron foods, and try to eat an orange, kiwi, or tomatoes (or other Vitamin C rich foods) at the same time as eating the iron rich foods. You could take a supplement, but those can be dangerous if you don't actually need the iron. High iron levels may damage your liver. The only way to know if you are anemic is by a blood test.

Also cooking in a cast iron pan/pot can increase your iron intake.