Self Sabotage

Hey! Any other self sabotagers out there?

For instance, you've eaten a super healthy breakfast and lunch and before you know it you're online at some cafe ordering a large mac and cheese or a piece of cheesecake or two sushi rolls as a pre-dinner snack???

This happens to me often. It is almost as if I black out and then wake up mid-order. There have been many times that I order, realize what I've done and end up throwing out the food that I've just spent a bunch of money on. I don't know where my head's at when I decide to enter the restaurant and make a poor decision. I know that it is a combo of hunger, and a lack of will power, but I need some advice on how to stop doing this!

It usually occurs while I am waiting in Grand Central for my train home after work. There are just so many delicious options. Sometimes I can avoid the issue by bringing an apple or banana with me, but other times I just end up tossing the apple in favor of some French macaroons.

Is there anyone out there that self sabotages like me??? Help!

Replies

• Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Most people that think they ''self sabotage'' are just restricting their diet too much.
    Just eat the things you like and make them fit into you calories/macros

Anyways in the long run you are not gonna just cut the things you like out of your life forever, might as well start working on a healthy relationship with food.

Eat what you want in moderation and make sure you hit your macros and have all the nutriments needed and stay at a calorie deficit
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Also upping your protein intake might help feel fuller longer
  • I agree with ClassickQC....I eat what I like. Maybe not everything I like in 1 day - tee hee. This makes me never feel deprived.
  • gwenr
    gwenr Posts: 139 Member
    Also upping your protein intake might help feel fuller longer

This has helped me so much I can't even tell you. It's satiating and curbs my cravings.
  • Great advice ladies!
  • ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    I do this, and I'm not entirely sure why. I'll eat really well all day (when I'm at work an don a schedule) - then I get home at night and it all goes out the window. I think part of my problem is not planning and not preparing in advance. So when I get home after work and the gym, I want something NOW, I don't want to wait 30+ minutes for something to cook.

I can hear a little voice in my head telling me not too, to find a better choice. But it's so easy to ignore lol. And keeping junk food out of my house doesn't work, because I will drive to the store to get what I want.

So I guess my advice (to you and myself) is to take some time to prepare and plan meals in advance, so it's ready to go!
  • bump
  • spoiledpuppies
    spoiledpuppies Posts: 675 Member
    This hasn't happened since I've been using MFP. But definitely in the past. I would be healthy often, and think about how to be healthy almost nonstop. But then when given an unhealthy opportunity, I really felt like I almost left my body while "it" gorged. Afterward, with mind and body connected again, I would realize how I just somehow went on autopilot and ate.

At least you're recognizing it while you in line or before you eat the food!

What I would suggest is logging all food before you eat/order it. I think that's what's prevented this from happening for me.
  • hthompso
    hthompso Posts: 3 Member
    I agree about the meal planning. I went to work today without anything packed and made poor choices at the Cafe at work. Tonight, I am packing my breakfast and lunch for work tomorrow! No excuses!

Hang in there and be kind to yourself. That is what people always tell me :tongue:
  • srogers89
    srogers89 Posts: 190 Member
    I saw on a forum post yesterday that someone mentioned not taking your bank cards/cash with you and that way you can't afford it! I thought this was an excellent idea.

I mostly meal prep on a Sunday so that 4 out of my 5 work week meals are taken care of but not taking my cards would mean I couldn't sneak in candy bars haha. I believe eat what you want as long as it fits your macros though, so if you are enjoying those pre-dinner snacks maybe try and work it into your daily meal.
  • emAZn
    emAZn Posts: 413 Member
    I used to do this big time... hit up fast food on the way home to eat before the bf got home and then I would cook dinner... It just tastes soo darn good... mmm fast food... but since MFP I pre-log my days multiple days in advance and I find that helps... I know that in an hour or so I'll have a meal planned and it fits into my calorie and weight loss goals... for the most part it's healthy stuff and full of protein but I also like cereals, breads, chocolate, ice cream, ect. I may not eat the portions I used to but a little bit is better than nothing!
  • jojo86xdd
    jojo86xdd Posts: 202 Member
    Most people that think they ''self sabotage'' are just restricting their diet too much.
    Just eat the things you like and make them fit into you calories/macros

Anyways in the long run you are not gonna just cut the things you like out of your life forever, might as well start working on a healthy relationship with food.

Eat what you want in moderation and make sure you hit your macros and have all the nutriments needed and stay at a calorie deficit

^this. I literally eat cupcakes, chocolate, ice cream etc almost on a daily basis...you can check my diary if you'd like. what matters is calories in vs. calories out. don't deny yourself anything. have what you love in moderation, log it and move on. you're not gonna spend your entire life denying yourself things, so whats the point.
  • supermuslimgirl
    supermuslimgirl Posts: 96 Member
    I had cheese cake for supper :happy: :tongue:

minute-microwave-cheesecake
    toped with orange jam yummy

49481922.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter