What could this be?

Options
I'm Liana, 220lbs, 5'5" - I've lost 34lbs so far using IF and low carb (I stick to meat, veggies, nuts, eggs, some fruit when I 'need' dessert lol).

I have officially and finally realized that refined carbohydrates don't agree with me at all. Every time I have a 'cheat day/meal', I get a tight feeling in my shoulder blade that feels like I have a kink or pinched nerve. I am assuming this is inflammation but it scares me because its on the left side and only recently (and when I really overdo it), creeping over to the right shoulder blade as well. My arm also feels tight and aches. If I exercise, it goes away within a few hours...if I sleep it off, my fingers feel swollen.

When I eat 'right' I never have this problem. Does this sound indicative of heart damage? I will be getting a full physical in March and will continue to eat 'on plan' without the inflammatory foods...

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    How your spoke to a doctor or dietitian?
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    Not saying you shouldn't see a doctor, but it's unlikely that anything you eat would affect your heart that quickly.
  • Candy_58
    Candy_58 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Gall bladder attack? I googled gall bladder pain and found a description for gall stones on Web MD that sounds similar to what you're experiencing. You should see a doctor though.
  • Merari_Azuceli
    Options
    Hi,

I don't know if this will help but I had a similar problem on my left side. I felt stiffness from my base of the neck, shoulder,along my collar bone, even under my armpit. Sometimes it would be too painful to lift my left arm. I spoke to my doctor, she said the muscle (forgot the name) felt tight and she prescribed a muscle relaxant and rest. It took me almost two weeks to feel better. I also practice IF and low carb. See your doctor and good luck.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Gall bladder attack? I googled gall bladder pain and found a description for gall stones on Web MD that sounds similar to what you're experiencing. You should see a doctor though.

Gallbladder issues occur in the mid right quadrant (slightly above your appendix). You generally feel pain there. A shoulder issue is probably not affected by gallstones.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options

This was my first thought also. My gallbladder attacks were felt mostly in my back and shoulder blades. I did not have the arm pain/tightness though. Either way it would prob be best to go get checked out! Good luck!
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options

Gallbladder issues occur in the mid right quadrant (slightly above your appendix). You generally feel pain there. A shoulder issue is probably not affected by gallstones.

This is true but sometimes the pain does radiate to the blades/back. Mine were horrible.
  • oc1timoco
    oc1timoco Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I'm a low carb, high protein, high good fats person myself. Though I don't Intermittent Fast myself ,I do understand its benefits and features to particular lifestyles. I choose to carbohydrate cycle slightly every other day . Sorry, getting off my point. Whatever it is that ails you ensure to print off a condensed analyses of your food log and nutrients and exercise covering maybe 30 days. That in conjunction with blood test from your physical will help your doctor and you zone in on your health status. Have a good one.
  • callie006
    callie006 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Pain in the left shoulder immediately after eating is often caused by pressure on the diaphragm. An overly full stomach, excessive gas, an ulcer, heartburn and GERD are all possibilities. Gallstones usually cause right-sided pain, sometimes in the shoulder, but some people do have pain in the left shoulder. I'd probably think them less likely than heartburn, gas or just overeating given the location and the lack of other gallstone-type symptoms, but it wouldn't be impossible.
  • catfive1
    catfive1 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Could be heart burn. I get like that when I eat a large out of the ordinary meal. I take Zantac and Gaviscon.
  • Bukawww
    Bukawww Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your thoughts. It isn't pain - just pressure/tightness and 'ache'. I've also had 4 kids right along side this excess weight and could have some chiropractic issues going on in there (my aunt mentioned it could be that I have a rib 'out'?)...that I will also address starting in January. And yes, its the worst when I've overfilled my belly lol. My overactive mind goes straight for the worst case scenario. I figured inflammation would be a good bet but was worried inflammation on my left side/shoulder blade indicated a heart issue. I'm only 33 but have abused my body with this excess weight for over 10 years now.

I've considered blood sugar issues as well which is why I finally decided to throw it out there and see if anyone else was experiencing something similar.

I definitely am going to talk with a doctor about it, but will enjoy less anxiety, less aches, and less 'pressure' by staying on track in the mean time.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,249 Member
    Options
    I have had a very similar feeling when dealing with a food that has given me heartburn. First time it happened to me I was terrified to tell the truth because it felt exactly like they say a heart attack might feel like for a woman. Now, I was in my 20's so I didn't think that could be the issue, but I spoke to my doctor about it.