What Should I Weigh?

Options
I'm 5"1, throughout the day I fluctuate between 139-145. On top I'm small or xs, and on bottom I'm size 6. I've been pretty much the same for several months... And I was okay w/ that. My original goal was to get into my bmi but the more ppl I talked to the more told me it's an archaic system and doesn't take body shape or muscle mass into account. The height to waist ratio system says I'm good where I'm at.

But I saw a PCP yest and asked her what I should weigh... She goes according to the bmi system and said I should be 120lbs. Sooo... I'm rethinking my goals. How do I know what I should weigh??

And honestly, I don't know what else to do to lose weight. On average I strength train 3x a wk and I do 2-3hrs of cardio a day. I'm not suppose to track calories anymore but I'd guess I net about 800-1000cals a day normally

Replies

• Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    The number on the scale is just a number. The important thing is that you feel good about yourself and are satisfied with the way you look.

The BMI chart is flawed because it doesn't take into acount your body composition to begin with.
    All it takes into account is your weight on the scale, your height and your age.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    BMI is used for populations. It does not work for individuals.
  • iheartmy1dog
    Options
    The number on the scale is just a number. The important thing is that you feel good about yourself and are satisfied with the way you look.

The BMI chart is flawed because it doesn't take into acount your body composition to begin with.
    All it takes into account is your weight on the scale, your height and your age.

Thanks for the reply! I was content w/ my weight but now I'm not sure and feel like I should lose 20lbs.

Any advice on how to lose more?
  • iheartmy1dog
    Options
    BMI is used for populations. It does not work for individuals.

So many ppl tell me that but then I hear someone like the dr agree w/ the system and it makes me rethink it all :/
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    I'm not suppose to track calories anymore but I'd guess I net about 800-1000cals a day normally

If you're serious about this then stop guessing.
  • IronCakes
    IronCakes Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I'm not suppose to track calories anymore but I'd guess I net about 800-1000cals a day normally

This. And lots of drs are quacks. My bmi says I'm closer to the obese end, but I know that isn't true. I have muscles. Screw the scale!
  • iheartmy1dog
    Options

Don't judge. I am serious. I was obsessing too much over calories and was restricting way too much so professionals told me to stop tracking
  • shining_light
    shining_light Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I'd play around with your calorie intake and track it and see where you do maintain. I believe that everyone is different and everyone does have a "set point" so to speak. I'm fortunate in that I knew exactly where mine was before my binge eating got out of hand. I could get up every morning for a week and be exactly 137.6 lbs (I'm 5' 7"). It took a lot of fighting with my body to get anywhere below that, and then I binged my way up to about 10 pounds higher than that which I'm now fighting to lose.

When I was at a steady place and maintaining, though, there was minimal scale fluctuation. So yeah, my experience is that at a weight within a healthy weight range, where you're not gaining or losing and eating consistent calories without really trying, then that's probably the weight you should be at. That's just anecdotal, though, and just what I've found to be true for me personally.
  • 1PatientBear
    1PatientBear Posts: 2,089 Member
    Options

This. And lots of drs are quacks. My bmi says I'm closer to the obese end, but I know that isn't true. I have muscles. Screw the scale!

You shouldn't hump scales. It's bad for the mechanism and can cause it to be inaccurate.
  • iheartmy1dog
    Options
    I'd play around with your calorie intake and track it and see where you do maintain. I believe that everyone is different and everyone does have a "set point" so to speak. I'm fortunate in that I knew exactly where mine was before my binge eating got out of hand. I could get up every morning for a week and be exactly 137.6 lbs (I'm 5' 7"). It took a lot of fighting with my body to get anywhere below that, and then I binged my way up to about 10 pounds higher than that which I'm now fighting to lose.

When I was at a steady place and maintaining, though, there was minimal scale fluctuation. So yeah, my experience is that at a weight within a healthy weight range, where you're not gaining or losing and eating consistent calories without really trying, then that's probably the weight you should be at. That's just anecdotal, though, and just what I've found to be true for me personally.

My dietician said I should eat 1650cals net... I've been trying to do that
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Have you had your body fat % checked? This is a much better measure. Doctors really don't know as much about diet and body composition as they purport. They are looking at the same table as everyone else is and have 10 more patients to see before they can go home.
  • InForBacon
    InForBacon Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options

You shouldn't hump scales. It's bad for the mechanism and can cause it to be inaccurate.
    Just use protection. Stops all those problems from occurring.
  • iheartmy1dog
    Options
    Have you had your body fat % checked? This is a much better measure. Doctors really don't know as much about diet and body composition as they purport. They are looking at the same table as everyone else is and have 10 more patients to see before they can go home.

I have calipers and check it at home. If i do it right.. I have about 12% BF
  • Vain_Witch
    Vain_Witch Posts: 476 Member
    Options

Just use protection. Stops all those problems from occurring.

My next trip to the store: "Can I get that scale in ribbed for her pleasure? Thanks!"
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options

12% BF is very very very low for a woman..
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    For women the BMI scale is a pretty good guage for a healthy weight. But it's a range, not a specific number. A 5'1" woman should weigh >= 100 and < 132 lbs. The more muscle you have, the closer to the high number you should be.

Some women can weigh more and still be within a healthy weight if their waist is small compared to their hip and/or for their height.

Try putting your stats into the calculator below and see what your results say. This uses a little more than just BMI.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/calc-bmi-plus
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    My bmi says I'm closer to the obese end, but I know that isn't true. I have muscles. Screw the scale!

This is very rare for a woman, regardless of muscle. What is your height and weight?
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    I would cut back on the cardio a little, that seems a bit excessive! and also, if you are happy with your weight, that's all that matters!
  • Vain_Witch
    Vain_Witch Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    My bmi says I'm closer to the obese end, but I know that isn't true. I have muscles. Screw the scale!

This is very rare for a woman, regardless of muscle. What is your height and weight?

Don't doubt her. She's freaking solid muscle!! I wanna be IronCakes when I grow up! :heart:
  • iheartmy1dog
    Options

12% BF is very very very low for a woman..

It use to be higher. I could be doing it wrong? I know I still don't eat enough.. Maybe it'll get higher again when I can eat what I'm suppose to?

For women the BMI scale is a pretty good guage for a healthy weight. But it's a range, not a specific number. A 5'1" woman should weigh >= 100 and < 132 lbs. The more muscle you have, the closer to the high number you should be.

Some women can weigh more and still be within a healthy weight if their waist is small compared to their hip and/or for their height.

Try putting your stats into the calculator below and see what your results say. This uses a little more than just BMI.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/calc-bmi-plus

I've done that before. It says my height waist ratio is healthy but I'm still in the overweight range for bmi.