To those bulking, but avoiding wheat and sugar....

Options
What the hell do you eat to reach your carb goals on workout days?! It seems like nearly everything out there has wheat or sugar in it.
I follow IF and basically work during all of my eating window, so can someone give me ideas for portable, whole food carb sources? I know of oats and sweet potatoes (which, really, have too much sugar for my liking anyway).

Thanks!

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    what are you carb macro goals? why are you trying to avoid wheat and sugar? honestly it's going to be difficult to have any kind of substantial carb intake without wheat or sugar considering your basic carb options are wheat, starches (break down quickly to sugar), and sugar.
  • nellyett
    nellyett Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    there's a Paleo/Primal board that may be able to help.....a bit of white rice (which has less 'anti-nutrients' than brown surprisingly), white potatoes, quinoa, beans, corn.....unless you're off all grains and not just wheat.
  • widmer3
    widmer3 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I've done the low-/no-carb thing before and I find I gain muscle more easily when I have carbs. I follow Leangains, so my carb goals I essentially 200+ g on WO days.
    I eat other grains, I guess. I'm mainly trying to stay away from sugar, wheat specifically and corn, as I've done a LOT of research, both academically and experimentally/personally, and found I just don't want them in my diet. I guess I'll try to add more beans in and maybe check with the paleo people.

Thanks!
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    there are carbs in a whole lot more things than wheat and sugar. bananas are loaded, fruits and veggies have carbs. i eat a tiny bit whole grain bread, oatmeal, brown rice each day and get the rest of my carbs from fruits and veggies.
  • wilmnoca
    wilmnoca Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I have become obsessed with lentils! They are high carb, sugar free, and a great protein source. I have these on my heavy leg/glute training days. Just cooked lentils and hotsauce! Yum!
  • ktsimons
    ktsimons Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    lentils are awesome! Quinoa, lots of FRUIT...LaraBars
  • widmer3
    widmer3 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Ah, I had forgotten about lentils!! Hm, I guess I'll be making some soup tonight!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Rice!
  • dockholiday8234
    dockholiday8234 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Cous cous. Rice. Potatoes. Sweet potatoes. Banana's. Beans. Heinz baked beans is delicious.

You're right. Carbs have a huge anabolic effect which you have experienced first hand. You cannot grow muscle without lots of carbs. Unfortunately people who do not lift weights associate carbs to being fat. Thats because carb's being anabolic creates both fat and muscle. Lifting heavy and often will make sure your body partions the growth to the right places. ie muscle.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    What the hell do you eat to reach your carb goals on workout days?! It seems like nearly everything out there has wheat or sugar in it.
    I follow IF and basically work during all of my eating window, so can someone give me ideas for portable, whole food carb sources? I know of oats and sweet potatoes (which, really, have too much sugar for my liking anyway).

Thanks!

Hmmmm, well if you're going that route i'd just eat whatever you did when dieting, just more
  • NRBreit
    NRBreit Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I tried that on my last bulk and for me it was very tough to consume enough oats, brown rice, and sweet potatoes to hit the carb macro. I increased my fruits (including dried fruits) and that helped quite a bit. This year, I'm following IIFYM and I'm eating a lot more simple sugars and grains. It's WAY easier to bulk this way. If you can't eat what you want on a bulk, then when can you?
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m7ur9q6vWM1ql4jvzo1_250.gif
  • Amadbro
    Amadbro Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    take a look at my journal for a few examples...my strength days are mon/weds/fri so you may have to flip back to weds..stays pretty consistent throughout the week minus the 45g dextrose and a few extra supplements I have pwo on those days
  • dockholiday8234
    dockholiday8234 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I tried that on my last bulk and for me it was very tough to consume enough oats, brown rice, and sweet potatoes to hit the carb macro. I increased my fruits (including dried fruits) and that helped quite a bit. This year, I'm following IIFYM and I'm eating a lot more simple sugars and grains. It's WAY easier to bulk this way. If you can't eat what you want on a bulk, then when can you?

From your experience do you notice any different in your body composition or performance from eating "cleaner" carbs and foods compared to only caring about if it fits your macro's and not caring if your carbs come from simple sugars?
  • TigerBite
    TigerBite Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Dried dates ... LOVE THEM!
  • NRBreit
    Options

From your experience do you notice any different in your body composition or performance from eating "cleaner" carbs and foods compared to only caring about if it fits your macro's and not caring if your carbs come from simple sugars?

It's a bit soon to tell as I am only about 6 weeks into the bulk and 6 or 7 pounds up in weight, however, my strength has gone up on the big lifts and I feel really really good in the gym on this bulk using IIFYM. I also feel a tad bit sloppier in the stomach, but the tape measure says the same as last year at my current weight (probably just mind games). I will check body fat % in the next couple of weeks and compare. The main thing I found trying to eat all 'clean' carbs was how much work it was to eat - I really had to force it to get 300-350g carbs.
  • NRBreit
    Options
    Dried dates ... LOVE THEM!

I put them on my greek yogurt for an extra couple hundred cals.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    there are carbs in a whole lot more things than wheat and sugar. bananas are loaded, fruits and veggies have carbs. i eat a tiny bit whole grain bread, oatmeal, brown rice each day and get the rest of my carbs from fruits and veggies.

I assume she doesn't care where sugar comes from...she's just not wanting sugar in her diet...so fruit would be pretty much out wouldn't it? I don't know, I get confused with people's sugar phobias.
  • metaphoria
    metaphoria Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m7ur9q6vWM1ql4jvzo1_250.gif

Quoting cuz minions.
    Bee doo bee doo bee doo
  • My brother does IF and does not eat wheat or refined sugars and he has been bulking like crazy! When he started doing the IF he had one week he put on 8 lbs of muscle. I'd have to connect you to him if you wanted details but he eats like a beast calorie wise. He eats a lot of healthy fats instead of carbs I know a lot of the time. Big into coconut oil. Lots of yogurt, whey protien, peanut butter, nuts, hemp hearts, fresh veggies. He does supplement from a site called bio-life. He was about 175 lbs at the end of summer and this last week he said he was like 195 lbs now. He's 6' tall. Was leg pressing 1,085 lbs 10X a few weeks ago. Said that's been going up like 50lbs a week lately. Does over 60 pull ups. Sorry if I'm rambling. I like to brag about the kid. :)