Cheat day.

Options
This week, I've managed to create a deficit larger than 3500 calories (about 4700). On Saturday I'm going to dinner for my boyfriend's birthday and I've already figured that the meal I want totals to 3706 calories (I won't be eating anything else that day). What is this going to do to my weight loss progress? I've steadily lost a pound a week since creating a weekly deficit of 3500. Will I still lose the pound this week with the deficit I've already created? Or will this dinner set me back for the week? Thank you!

Replies

• sunsetzen
    sunsetzen Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I don't know how many calories you're allotted daily, but eating 3500 calories in one day more than likely won't do anything to your progress, and you might still lose weight.
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    Nothing. I have had a few days on special occasions that topped 8000, two or three days later I'm back to normal, and by the end of the week I'm down another pound and a half or so. Look at it this way, that one meal will still have you under maintenance, double it and you might gain half a pound, might being the key word.

Rigger
  • howardheilweil
    howardheilweil Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Assuming that you truly are working with that large of a deficit, there won't be any issue.
  • mazmataz
    mazmataz Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about it too much - this type of 'calorie cycling' is how I survive! I keep my head down, calories low(er!), and workouts intense for 5 days a week...and then I get to have fun on the weekend ;)

I've been loosing about 1lb a week doing this. Enjoy your food :)
  • shawn1112
    shawn1112 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I wouldnt worry about it, I have a cheat day every Saturday and have done so since I started MFP 7 months ago. I have consumed over 4000 calories between eating and drinking on a Saturday and still lost my normal 2-4lbs before I plateaued recently.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Options
    losing, maintaining, or gaining is all about consistency over a period of time...not one day. For example, you're not going to gain 1 Lb of fat if you ate 3500 calories over your maintenance for one day...and you wouldn't lose one Lb of fat if you ate 3500 under your maintenance for one singular day...your body would make adjustments for that intake and actually make every effort to maintain. It takes consistency of either overeating or undereating to override your bodies ability to maintain itself. So your one day meal isn't going to mean squat in the grand scheme of things.

Keep in mind though, you're likely to put on some water weight...but it's water and it will come right back off.
  • cadaverousbones
    cadaverousbones Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    To gain 1 lb, you have to eat over 3500 calories (over the calories it takes to maintain your weight) so I think you'll do just fine :)
  • vzduoi
    vzduoi Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your replies! I was mostly worried about not losing this week. I figured gaining would be impossible. Anyway, all your replies make sense, and I figured as much, just wanted to double check : )