Insanity workout, now losing muscle

Options
I run an average of 12-15 miles per week and typically lift weights at the gym 3/4 days week. Well after doing this for roughly 3-4 years without dropping any body weight, I hung up my gym shoes and started the Insanity workout.

I just finsished workout #12 of Insanity and I have also been running in between. Although its nice to finally see some drop in body weight, I'm also losing muscle. I'm not too concerned at this point as my main goal now is to get under 200lbs ; currently 5' 10" at 213lbs.

So, should I add back in the weights? Or keep up with my current program, lose the fat first and work on muscle tone later?

Replies

• Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Insanity + running is a hell of a lot of cardio and no weight lifting.

When someone is cutting they keep lifting heavy to preserve the muscle mass they have. Now obviously you won't gain muscles eating at a deficit but by lifting you will at least preserve the muscles that are aready there.

If you have been running and lifting for multiple years and not dropping weight then it means you are probably eating at maintenance, I don't see your stats or logs so it's hard to tell.

Weight loss is about calories in vs out

I suggest you read this :

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants?hl=sexypants
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,622 Member
    Options
    As mentioned, weight loss is about calories in and out. You're burning more calories than you're eating so hence the weight loss. Losing lean muscle isn't good because that lowers your metabolic rate and combined already with a calorie deficit that metabolism doesn't increase unless muscle is added back on. Which means you have to gain weight to add muscle back on.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Firefighter4ever
    Options
    Crap. Guess this means I need to find some time to get back into the gym again. I figured it couldnt be that easy.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    You don't need to do all of that cardio...just eat a little bit less. Hit the weight room to preserve your muscle mass and eat a little less...do some moderate cardio to give you some beer calories....Last year at this time I was about 210 and I dropped to 180ish pretty easily doing the above and maintained most of my muscle mass.
  • Firefighter4ever
    Options
    You don't need to do all of that cardio...just eat a little bit less. Hit the weight room to preserve your muscle mass and eat a little less...do some moderate cardio to give you some beer calories....Last year at this time I was about 210 and I dropped to 180ish pretty easily doing the above and maintained most of my muscle mass.

I definitely need those beer calories.