I have lost my appetite.....

Options
I have no appetite at all the past couple of days. I will get nauseous from time to time and I eat a little a feel better but I have not actually felt hungry in a couple of days. Do I force myself to eat even if I'm not hungry? My food diary looks sick but I just feel like I shouldn't force myself to eat if I'm not hungry. I had a bowl of grits this morning and that is all I have had all day. Has anyone else ever delt with this before? Just looking for some advice.

Replies

• Carissa145
    Carissa145 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Yes! I've dealt with this before, and I'm beginning to deal with it again now. It usually happens when I'm really stressed about something, or something dramatic happens in my life.

If you are going a lot under 1200 calories, this isn't very good-- the best advice I got for this situation was to eat high-calorie foods such as nuts, and etc. I'll look for the post I saw earlier and edit this post to give you some more examples. This helps because you don't have to eat a lot, but you are still getting a sufficient amount of calories.

I hope this helps, and good luck!!!

Here is the list of high calorie foods that someone else was gracious enough to write out for me:

Peanut butter! (peanut only peanut butter is the BOMB!)
    Cottage cheese! (I FINALLY tried this and it's AWESOME!)
    Greek Yogurt! (plain and add fruit to it!! SO GOOD!)
    Eat an whole portion of lean meat.. A whole 6-8 oz!
    Fish!! (so may kinds and so yummy!!!)
    Eggs! Pre boil them! They are easy to eat that way! I take them peel them and mix them with mustard, veggies and stick it on a cucumber or lettuce leaf :)
    Tuna salad! I make this the day before! I put this on cucumbers, zucchini or lettuce too!
    Overnight oatmeal! (grab and go the next morning! I LOVE this!)
    Apples! Oranges! Pears! Plums! Carrots! Celery! Red Grapes! Baby Cucumbers! Baby Peppers! Tomatoes! (I eat them like apples with a little salt!)
    Make a salad the night before! Take the dressing container with you!
    Eggs take like 5 minutes to cook in the morning if you scramble them!! Add some cheese, spinach and mushrooms and you're golden!
    Make soup or chili on the weekend and scoop out a cup everyday to take with you! (assuming you have access to a microwave!) or for a quick dinner!
  • gabbygirl78
    gabbygirl78 Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Thank you! Yes this helps a lot.... I'm wondering if the thyroid medicine they just put me on effecting my appetite
  • katbirdinpa
    Options
    yes I have. Take it easy on yourself it will pass. For me it was stress, sometimes excitement. When I met my husband I didn't eat for so many month i became anemic. It was love. I have also had this syndrome when I was bored with my food. It will pass.
    Talk to your doctor if you think its the meds.
  • dsalveson
    dsalveson Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    My advice: Enjoy it while it lasts
  • donthesitate
    donthesitate Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    This happens to me, which is partially why I keep my diary private. I have stomach issues that I take meds for but generally I still dont have much of an appetite, it could be your meds tho
  • broox80
    broox80 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I have hypothyroidism and i will get spurts of energy and lack of appetite. Then mine goes back to norm and I am tired and hungry again. It very well could have something to do with your thyroid.
  • asreyes8022
    Options
    I have hypothyroidism and i will get spurts of energy and lack of appetite. Then mine goes back to norm and I am tired and hungry again. It very well could have something to do with your thyroid.

I am a doctor AND I had hyperthyroidism, then had my thyroid destroyed, and now have hypothyroidism that is controlled by daily medication.
    Please do NOT think thyroid at this point. There are sooooo many other combined symptoms that come together when thinking hyper or hypo thyroid.

Hypothyroid common symptoms include: Fatigue, Increased sensitivity to cold, Constipation, Dry skin, Unexplained weight gain, Puffy face

Hyperthyroid common symptoms include: Sudden weight loss, even when your appetite and the amount and type of food you
    eat remain the same or even increase, Rapid heartbeat (tachycardia) — commonly more than 100 beats a minute — irregular heartbeat (arrhythmia) or pounding of your heart (palpitations); Increased appetite, Nervousness, anxiety and irritability, Tremor — usually a fine trembling in your hands and fingers, Increased sensitivity to heat, An enlarged thyroid gland (goiter), which may appear as a swelling at the base of your neck, Difficulty sleeping

I have experienced both, and believe me, it is MUCH more than lack of appetite. If only it were that simple.

As for previous replies, I agree that you should attempt to take in calories and absolutely take a daily multivitamin.
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    My advice: Enjoy it while it lasts

Yep. I just went through a period of about 10 days where I wasn't hungry for some reason - eating at or under my calorie goal each day with ease, no cravings or temptations, scale dropping...it was awesome. Then it stopped. :grumble: I'm still trying to figure out what set it off so I can do it again.
  • gabbygirl78
    gabbygirl78 Posts: 936 Member
    Options

I am a doctor AND I had hyperthyroidism, then had my thyroid destroyed, and now have hypothyroidism that is controlled by daily medication.
    Please do NOT think thyroid at this point. There are sooooo many other combined symptoms that come together when thinking hyper or hypo thyroid.

Hypothyroid common symptoms include: Fatigue, Increased sensitivity to cold, Constipation, Dry skin, Unexplained weight gain, Puffy face

Hyperthyroid common symptoms include: Sudden weight loss, even when your appetite and the amount and type of food you
    eat remain the same or even increase, Rapid heartbeat (tachycardia) — commonly more than 100 beats a minute — irregular heartbeat (arrhythmia) or pounding of your heart (palpitations); Increased appetite, Nervousness, anxiety and irritability, Tremor — usually a fine trembling in your hands and fingers, Increased sensitivity to heat, An enlarged thyroid gland (goiter), which may appear as a swelling at the base of your neck, Difficulty sleeping

I have experienced both, and believe me, it is MUCH more than lack of appetite. If only it were that simple.

As for previous replies, I agree that you should attempt to take in calories and absolutely take a daily multivitamin.

Thank you... I am a nurse and while I do have a bad habit of self diagnosing I have not in this case. I do have Hypothyroidism diagnosed by a doctor. In fact I was just hospitalized last week for it. I had stopped taking my medication due to a move and couldn't get in with another doctor anytime soon. Anyway they started me back on my thyroid medicine and I'm taking it like I'm suppose to. I just thought maybe the medication was the cause for my appetite loss. I was also dignosed with anemia so I am taking over the counter iron tablets... he didn't tell me too I'm just doing it . Is that wrong? Like I said I'm a nurse so I think I know what I'm doing lol. Usually I'm re~ educated and feel dumb later..... :blushing:
  • asreyes8022
    Options
    After 3 days or so, you certainly stop feeling normal. However, loss of appetite is not a common side effect of thyroid medications. (I assume you are taking Levothyroxine?) And yes, I was going to mention Fe+ as well, just wasn't sure how much protein you eat. You probably know this already, but just reiterating the importance of separating your dosing of vitamins, calcium and iron from when you take your thyroid med by at least 4 hours. If you take them too close together, the levo will bind to the vitamins and will not get absorbed properly into your body.