Substitutes for your favorite food?

Options
What are items you substitute to make your favorite food for less calories? I'm new to the forums (but I've been doing myfitnesspal for awhile now) and I sometimes I just want to eat my favorite meals, but with less calories!

For dinner I was really craving some hotdogs, so I got some low calorie items so I didn't have to cut my lunch or breakfast calories.

I had two 97% fat free Hebrew national hot dogs (90 calories for both)
Two Walmart value hotdog rolls (200 calories for both)
And 2 tablespoons of ketchup (40 calories)

For 330 calories.

Then substituted my fries/chips for cheddar Quaker rice cakes (20 rice cakes for 156 calories).

The hotdogs were still a little high on sodium but it was still less than the original hotdogs I normally get.

So, what are some of your favorite foods that you make to fit into your diet better?

Replies

• AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I don't substitute my food. I eat what I want and make it fit into my goals.
  • superfox12082
    superfox12082 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Instead of blue cheese dressing on salads, I use blue cheese crumbles and balsamic vinegar and evoo for dressing. Otherwise I'd practically eat the blue cheese dressing with a spoon.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I don't do substitutes myself...I just eat less of whatever it is and/or make it fit into my goals. A lot of the so called "healthy" substitutes for real and natural products are just for ****....
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    What are items you substitute to make your favorite food for less calories? I'm new to the forums (but I've been doing myfitnesspal for awhile now) and I sometimes I just want to eat my favorite meals, but with less calories!

For dinner I was really craving some hotdogs, so I got some low calorie items so I didn't have to cut my lunch or breakfast calories.

For 330 calories.

Then substituted my fries/chips for cheddar Quaker rice cakes (20 rice cakes for 156 calories).

The hotdogs were still a little high on sodium but it was still less than the original hotdogs I normally get.

So, what are some of your favorite foods that you make to fit into your diet better?

Pasta, cheeseburgers, ice cream
  • MistyMtnMan
    MistyMtnMan Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I don't substitute my food. I eat what I want and make it fit into my goals.
    ^^^ THIS is awesome!
  • MistyMtnMan
    MistyMtnMan Posts: 527 Member
    Options

For 330 calories.

Pasta, cheeseburgers, ice cream

Hahaha nice.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    damn gif won't post, nvm
  • charbear94
    Options
    One of my favorite foods is fried cheese sticks, so I found a neat substitute online. I took Sargento's 2% milk cheese sticks (only 2.5 grams of fat in one I believe), wrapped it in an egg roll wrapper, and grilled it on the stove top. It was delicious and crispy, and only about 200 calories for two of them, with marinana sauce! Delicious! and only 6 grams of fat :) as you can guess, I am a HUGE fan of cheese. I love it, and eat it probably every other day, so I discovered using cheese made with 2% has saved me so much fat and calories.

Here is another favorite I tried that even my fiance loved, and he normally doesn't go for my substitutes! I LOVE pizza, and eat it about once a week, so I created this substitute. Take a burrito shell, toast in the oven at 350 degrees for about 2 minutes. then add spaghetti sauce or marinana, fat free shredded mozerella cheese, and turkey pepperoni. put it back in the oven for 3 minutes, and then BAM awesome pizza. if you eat the entire pizza it's only 200 calories. 300 if you just use low fat cheese. And the turkey pepperoni was so good, my fiance didn't even know it was turkey. and I also put a little italian seasoning on top after I finish the pizza
  • Wrxsti23
    Options
    Spaghetti Squash for spaghetti
    Ground Turkey instead of Ground Beef to make Tacos
    Hummus Popped chips from Kashi 27 chips=120 calories
    PB2 instead of regular Peanut butter
  • superfox12082
    superfox12082 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Some people have to substitute or they will do like I do and eat salad dressing with a spoon....
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    If something's really my "favorite" I am gonna make it work, maybe just less often...for example in my current photo I am having a plate of curry noodles with shrimp, I would not eat a massive portion like that every weekend the way I once did (and I shared that with my husband).

But yeah...I get what you're saying and I do make some substitutions that still satisfy cravings.

I would eat a Snickers bar daily if I "could" but instead I have these tiny condiment cups at home and I'll put 3 or 4 almonds, 10 chocolate chips and a tiny bit of marshmallow crème and/or coconut in the cup and eat it slowly...surprisingly satisfying.\

Instead of going to Chipotle or similar burrito places my husband and I make these really good wraps...big tortilla spread with hummus, then add a massive bundle of baby spinach, shredded carrots, sliced avocado, a bit of lemon or lime juice, black beans and edamame. It is one of our favorite things.

Another thing that started WAY before joining MFP for me, is getting the ONE thing I really want instead of "the meal deal". For example if I want a terrible-for-me sandwich of fried fish with mayo on it, I am not going to get the fries and soft drink for $2 more or whatever...I will drink water and just have the sandwich and later have some fruit or veg side as a snack at home.

I have had dessert once or twice as my "entrée" when out with friends, and while that is not a good meal decision it's better to me than eating a perfunctory 700 cal entrée and THEN getting dessert. I stay more satisfied over the long term by indulging when I really want something and I have found the "cravings" come less frequently than in the past.
  • awoodz13
    Options
    I didn't mean all the time, but when your really craving something and you don't want to waste a ton of calories on something that you can make healthier. Like if you are craving a fast food cheeseburger and substitute it for a homemade burger that has less fat and calories and maybe exchange the bun and condiments for a better option.
  • drenergy
    drenergy Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I used to live in Buffalo and my nemesis and FAVORITE food became hot wings with blue cheese. As you can imagine, that is very high in fat and calories!

To get a similar flavor, I would mix up a cup of non-fat, plain Greek yogurt (100 calories) and a few spoonfuls of blue cheese (about 100 calorie amount) and I would mix that with a very low-cal wing sauce I found. Then I'd dip celery in it and eat it like veggies and dip. I'd try to make it turn into two servings of a snack and not eat it all in one sitting. ;)
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    Some people have to substitute or they will do like I do and eat salad dressing with a spoon....

thats a new one never heard of anyone doing that
  • missyjane824
    missyjane824 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    I like cottage cheese and ranch dressing on salads so instead of both I take ranch dressing dry mix and add it to cottage cheese. It's wonderful and cuts down on the calories a bit.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Cauliflower!

You can search on here and find some tasty substitutes for breadsticks, tortillas, pizza crust, cake and even hot dogs and hot wings!

Who needs the real thing when you can replace it with glorious cauliflower!

My mouth is watering just thinking about it :heart:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I didn't mean all the time, but when your really craving something and you don't want to waste a ton of calories on something that you can make healthier. Like if you are craving a fast food cheeseburger and substitute it for a homemade burger that has less fat and calories and maybe exchange the bun and condiments for a better option.

Actually I'd be more apt to eat a homemade burger any day of the week over a fast food burger. I make my own sour dough so I do my own sour dough buns as well.

I just don't do anything low fat/no fat that naturally contains that fat...when you do that you take something natural and make it less so...all they do is pump extra sugar and salt and a bunch of other **** into it...you're better of nutritionally speaking with the full fat option...also fat doesn't make you fat and is an essential nutrient and way too many people cut out way too much fat...I blame Richard Simons and the '80s in general....but it's 2013 now and people need to get with the program.
  • splashblob
    splashblob Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I love crunchy food and I like something cold and sweet, ice cream, jello, cake, pie....when I have a craving, I eat apple when I have late night craving for something sweet or crunchy. I also sometimes had a slice of bread with 1-2 teaspoon of Nutella instead of its usual serving size. For something else crunchy, I usually go for air pop pop corn or almonds/peanuts. The latter does not hep much though because I will end up binging on them legumes instead. I just love crunchy things.
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options

A woman after my own heart. I agree!