Diced/Cubed Ham

Options
utes09
utes09 Posts: 561 Member
I have a recipe that calls for about 8 oz of diced or cubed ham and now that I actually track the recipe and know the nutritional content I noticed that the ham is CHOCK-FULL of sodium. It's ridiculous. I've used like the 97% fat free, packed in water kind but the sodium is still 20+%....does anyone know of a brand that has reasonable sodium numbers?? Like maybe only 15% per serving? I know a brand I've used in the past is John Morell.

Replies

• stringcheeze
    Options
    What about Canadian Bacon? I'm not sure of the sodium levels in that, but you might want to compare to see if it's any different than ham.

Edit: Or for that matter, find one smoked instead of cured. I believe cured usually means some sort of brine.
  • BrockDoe
    BrockDoe Posts: 25
    Options
    +1 for Canadian bacon
  • utes09
    Options
    The recipe is a breakfast casserole that has the ham on top of an egg mixture. Its an old family recipe and I've never thought of putting canadian bacon on top instead of the cubed ham...I may think it over.
  • utes09
    Options
    I just had a brilliant idea. I'm used to just seeing thin canadian bacon for like pizzas. I'm sure they make thicker slices so I can just cut that up to be cubed. Thanks for the suggestions! I will look into that!
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    I had gotten like boar's head or something from the deli counter that was low sodium. I just had them cut a huge thick slice off before and then I cubed it myself when I got home.
  • utes09
    Options
    That's a great idea as well TropicalKitty! I'll look into that too! Thanks!