How many calories do you burn in the gym?

Hello guys,

I am just curious how many calories do you roughly burn in the gym per day? How many burnt calories would make you happy?

Thank you

Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Cardio alone, usually around 300-350 if I do weights as well (only do 30 minutes usually if I'm doing weights). If I don't do weights, maybe 500 if I go an hour on the bike or elliptical. I don't track calories burned from weights so add however much that is as well.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    For me, the calorie burn is just an awesome side effect of my fitness...I don't exercise for the "burn"...I exercise because I like being a physically fit individual. With my stats, a 3 mile run usually gets me around 400 calories or so...a good 15 Mph ride gets me around 600 or thereabouts...not sure about my lifting sessions..maybe a few hundred for the hour. Really though, creating a calorie deficit is most efficiently done through diet...if you're using MFP, exercise is extra and you're supposed to eat back an estimate of your burn...but other than that, meh...
  • j75j75
    j75j75 Posts: 854 Member
    Depends, an average weightlifting workout may only burn a few hundred calories, swimming usually burns a few hundred more. But my biggest calorie burns come on the days I do martial arts, typically 1000-2000 cals depending on time. Those are the days I get to eat BIG :happy: :happy:
  • Thanks for sharing information regarding calories burning in the gym. Many persons start their own regimen to engage in work out and subsequently follow it for a few days only.
  • mumof5
    mumof5 Posts: 328 Member
    when i was a cardio bunny i was not happy unless i had burnt 1000 cals, often it was more, a lot more. now - dont care. i lift, i run, i lift, i do hiit, mostly i lift. the cals i burn in the gym are low but the after burn is what really counts ;)
  • aurabu
    aurabu Posts: 28 Member
    wow 1000 is a lot. the most I burnt was 700
  • shell_mc
    shell_mc Posts: 109 Member
    My HRM tells me I'm burning around 500/hr for intense cardio. About half that for weight training.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    400ish according to mfp, per hour. So probably 275-300.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Hello guys,

I am just curious how many calories do you roughly burn in the gym per day? How many burnt calories would make you happy?

Thank you

It depends on the day...on strength days it can be as low as 400 calories for 90 minutes. On my "long day" which includes 45-60 minutes of cardio plus a 60 minute dance class, it can be up to 1500 calories for 2 hours.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Calories burnt at the gym depend on age, size/weight, intensity, time, kind of exercise and fitness. I burn between 200 and 350 calories since I don't do a lot of cardio; mostly weights, calisthenics, and Pilates; and I am small and not so young.

I would like to burn more to have more calories to work around my diet, but that is not going to happen unless I kill myself. And that is not going to happen either.
  • jpolinisse
    jpolinisse Posts: 149 Member
    500-1000 calories depending on what I'm doing. Typically at the higher end as I spend roughly 60-80 minutes per session doing cardio and strength.
  • Probably around 400-600 odd calories depending on what I do that day.
  • tmm_0127
    tmm_0127 Posts: 545 Member
    I don't usually go to the gym, mostly an at-home exerciser ... so in my home "gym" I generally burn between 300-500, sometimes more if I can get multiple workouts in that day.