running - starting point is making me cry!

Options
I know everybody has to start somewhere, but my starting point is so crap that i feel worse about myself when i try to run than i do when i laze around and do no exercise!

I'm within my healthy weight range, my body fat isn't terrible, my muscle mass is good, my hydration is good, and i can walk for hours at 6km/h - uphill, downhill, whatever. but if i try to jog 500m on a slight downhill road i'm red faced, sweaty, wheezy, tasting blood and feeling like i'm dying.

and then i feel really crap about myself. if i jog the first 500m of a 45min walk, even by the end of the walk i'm still dragging my feet and moving nowhere near as fast as i would have for the whole walk had i not started out with a jog.

i've tried c25k, but could never get past running for a couple of minutes, despite repeating week after week.

i really want to be able to just go out for a run and enjoy it, but it's so discouraging, and because i don't look like i'm in terrible physical shape, people roll their eyes and think i'm being overdramatic when i say i can't even comfortably jog 500m, which makes me so ashamed

i keep hearing people saying that your running fitness increases quickly if you work at it, but i'm trying so hard and getting nowhere!

Replies

• bubaluboo
    bubaluboo Posts: 2,098 Member
    Options
    Sorry I have no advice but you sound just like me. I can 'run' on a cross trainer but not on a treadmill or pavement. I wonder if its more of a mental block than physical?
  • KatieHall77
    KatieHall77 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I assume you're English because you measure in meters and kilograms, but it sounds like you're experiencing beginners frustration. When I started, I certainly couldn't run a mile, my heart would hurt, my boobs would jiggle, I hated the whole experience.
    The best thing to do is just take it one step at a time, very small distances and then just do a little more at a time. Treat yourself to an iPod and play the music you really feel motivated by (I highly recommend 1980s rock)

Good luck!
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    I know everybody has to start somewhere, but my starting point is so crap that i feel worse about myself when i try to run than i do when i laze around and do no exercise!

I'm within my healthy weight range, my body fat isn't terrible, my muscle mass is good, my hydration is good, and i can walk for hours at 6km/h - uphill, downhill, whatever. but if i try to jog 500m on a slight downhill road i'm red faced, sweaty, wheezy, tasting blood and feeling like i'm dying.

and then i feel really crap about myself. if i jog the first 500m of a 45min walk, even by the end of the walk i'm still dragging my feet and moving nowhere near as fast as i would have for the whole walk had i not started out with a jog.

i've tried c25k, but could never get past running for a couple of minutes, despite repeating week after week.

i really want to be able to just go out for a run and enjoy it, but it's so discouraging, and because i don't look like i'm in terrible physical shape, people roll their eyes and think i'm being overdramatic when i say i can't even comfortably jog 500m, which makes me so ashamed

i keep hearing people saying that your running fitness increases quickly if you work at it, but i'm trying so hard and getting nowhere!

I would bet that you start out too fast.

Keep this quote in your head as you set off for a run:

"Start running, slow down and then when I have slowed down, slow down some more"

The above is what you start off at, after a few weeks, you will immediately know the pace you can comfortably run at.
  • learnerdriver
    learnerdriver Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I was where you are now. It is harder on the lungs and the joints than on the treadmill, but you will make steady gains. What you need to do is slow down, pick on a landmark nearby to get to, jog there slowly and then walk and repeat. It doesn't matter how long it takes to do the overall distance.

I went out with a friend on the weekend and her goal is a charity run of 4km. She told me she thought it was impossible as 1km killed her, but we did the distance with 200 metre jog/walk/do again etc in 40 minutes. She felt yuck that night, but wants to give it another try.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Here is what I did: Looked silly, but what did I care? Barely moving faster than your walk, simply jog your feet. Like - almost in place. You don't have to get anywhere in a hurry, all you are trying to do is get your leg muscles used to the motion. You sound like you are fit if you can walk as well as you can. You are just not fit for running. No shame in that! I was an aerobics instructor, and when I went for a run I felt like I was going to die! A seasoned runner explained to me that I just wasn't 'fit' when it came to running. And don't be in a hurry. Start out with a few steps of the jogging motion every few minutes while out on your run. It will take time, but you'll get there. :smile:
  • kristy6ward
    kristy6ward Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I agree with Di fully. The most common mistake new runners make is starting out too fast. When you are starting out do not be concerned at all about speed, its all about duration.
  • diatonic
    diatonic Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Put this mp3 on your player: http://maddecent.com/blood-bros-first-blood/

It's a mashup of 80s action movie soudtracks. It's pretty motivating.
  • mrstallent
    mrstallent Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    There was no way I was going to be able to do C25K when I first started my running program. The hubby found this for me and it worked out MUCH better: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/5k-run/SM00061

I doubled every week because I really needed too. The intervals are much shorter and it progresses you slower.

Since finishing that I have now started the C25K, running it 30 minutes instead of 20. I feel amazing and not so overwhelmed.

Take a look. Maybe it'll work for you too. :)
  • jillianbeeee
    jillianbeeee Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    My 24 year old daughter said the same things you are saying. So I took her for a run. Very quickly I noticed she was taking to long of strides, running way to fast and not at a consistent pace. She was running like a kid on the soccer field, not a runner. Jogging is OKAY> Also, check into some of the chi running videos on you tube. I really learned a lot. I am still not a very fast runner (my legs are very short so 5.0 mph, which is considered running is very tough for me) Also make sure you have good running shoes and good music. When I started I could not run (jog) to my mail box, now I am almost finishing a 3 mile total run across a bridge over the bay and back (my first goal)
  • Qski
    Qski Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am in the middle of a kind of Couch to 5 K one now (Zombies, Run 5k Training). It is a Phone App, and has a story line going on in the background.

I am very overweight and have a background of zero exercise (including the walking). I managed to do a few weeks of the program going from 5 10 second runs, to 5 30 second runs with walking in between (35-45minutes).
    The following week was 1minute runs and I really felt like I could not do those like busting the 30 seconds was just too much. I also got shin splints, when I went to the physio she advised to only continue at a much slower pace or to take 2 days off in between workouts.

I didn't want to wait the days, so I tried to slow down. And even when I was still a bit saw from the shin splints, I did all 5 1 minute runs, because I slowed down enough.

I think I still have a tendency to run faster than I should, so the other thing I have been doing is straight after the run, really slow down the walk - don't just go back to normal walking pace, for at least 1 minute, stroll instead of walk. Then when you really have your breath back try your next run. I was quite surprised at the significant difference it makes.

and as for what I have read, you can always work on your pace after you get the whole running part down. So even though you are a good fast walker, you may need to slow that down too, to get enough energy to push into the run parts to start with.

I can run about 3 minutes non stop now - 5 weeks ago, 10 seconds was really tough. In another 4-5 weeks the app thinks I can run for 35 minutes straight. I can't wait!
  • rabblerabble
    rabblerabble Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Just do what you can and try to run a little faster and/or further each time. A year ago if I ran for about 30 seconds (to catch a train perhaps) I'd be panting and out of breath. Can run much further now that I've spent a year starting to get in shape.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Just do what you can and try to run a little faster and/or further each time. A year ago if I ran for about 30 seconds (to catch a train perhaps) I'd be panting and out of breath. Can run much further now that I've spent a year starting to get in shape.

Definitely do NOT try to run faster each time. Further should come way before faster. Just get the legs going in a jogging motion and go as SLOW as you have to. The order of the day is to breathe comfortably while jogging. If you start to get really motivated, get a heart rate monitor.
  • kaylarunshappy
    Options
    I would def say start slower. When I did C25K a few years ago, my running pace wasn't any higher than 13 min/mile and some days that was too much. I now average around 10:30s min/mile and for my weight, I am def proud of that pace.
    It just takes time.
    Start off slow. Work on your form. Listen to music if it helps. Take in the scenes. Use it to be a stress reliever. If you don't like C25k there are TONS of other plans out there. Or focus on your own goals. Run from one driveway to the next and walk the next two. Getting better means just getting out and doing it.
    And make sure you are not doing too much too fast. If you can only handle 2 or 3 runs a week stick with that.
    I hope it gets better for you :]
  • VelveteenArabian
    VelveteenArabian Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Can you run at all? Even like on a treadmill or something? If not, you may just be that out of shape or you could have a respiratory problem like exercise induced asthma.
  • RunningMs
    RunningMs Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    One thing that has helped me out a lot is adopting a new breathing technique. This may be something to consider.

http://www.runnersworld.com/running-tips/running-air-breathing-technique