Shakeology vs Muscle Milk Protein Shakes

Options
I am trying to get your opinions on the two protein shakes? I am looking to lose a lot of weight and build lean muscle right now not just build mass amounts of muscle if that makes any sense.

Replies

• Foodorlife
    Foodorlife Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    None.
    Both of them are bad.IMHO
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    I like the taste of the Muscle Milk shakes, especially the banana creme.
  • Amadbro
    Amadbro Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I drink a gallon of melted butter
  • SashleyA
    SashleyA Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I like the Muscle Milk as an occasional thing. The chocolate is decent, but generally I find protein shakes to be a bit chalky.
  • cdahl383
    cdahl383 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Muscle Milk was actually tested in a Consumers Reports test a few years ago and they found it to have high heavy metal content, higher than the limit the FDA says is healthy.

Optimum Nutrition makes a natural protein powder (no artificial sweetners) that tastes good and was tested to have very low heavy metal content (almost all powders had some trace amounts, but heavy metals are also found in foods like fish and potatoes naturally). It has 130 calories and 24g of protein. There are better options than this one out there but they generally cost a lot more.

The mass gainers aren't all that great to me. You're better off just eating more whole foods, like meat, nuts, carbs, etc. All you need is a slight calorie surplus, higher protein intake, and lift heavy and you should put on some muscle if you keep at it. You dont have to get fat to put on muscle.

I haven't researched the Shakeology one, but most of those pre-made shakes and bars are full of garbage. You're better off making your own at home with better ingredients or just eating more whole foods (i.e. chicken, beef, pork, vegetables, fruit, nuts, beans, dairy, etc).
  • cdahl383
    Options
    I like the Muscle Milk as an occasional thing. The chocolate is decent, but generally I find protein shakes to be a bit chalky.

I agree, they're good occasionally but regular foods definitely taste a lot better than a chalky protein shake.
  • cdahl383
    Options

Nice!
  • Amadbro
    Amadbro Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    all joking aside I'm a muscle tech guy...here's my post workout shake

2 scoops muscle tech whey
    2 tbsp all natty pb
    1.5 cups oats
    45g dextrose
    2 cups 1% milk

throw it in the blender and you almost feel bad for drinking it...and its only around 1100 cals

outside of muscle tech the only other company I'd go for is optimum nutrition
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Muscle Milk was actually tested in a Consumers Reports test a few years ago and they found it to have high heavy metal content, higher than the limit the FDA says is healthy.

Optimum Nutrition makes a natural protein powder (no artificial sweetners) that tastes good and was tested to have very low heavy metal content (almost all powders had some trace amounts, but heavy metals are also found in foods like fish and potatoes naturally). It has 130 calories and 24g of protein. There are better options than this one out there but they generally cost a lot more.

The mass gainers aren't all that great to me. You're better off just eating more whole foods, like meat, nuts, carbs, etc. All you need is a slight calorie surplus, higher protein intake, and lift heavy and you should put on some muscle if you keep at it. You dont have to get fat to put on muscle.

I haven't researched the Shakeology one, but most of those pre-made shakes and bars are full of garbage. You're better off making your own at home with better ingredients or just eating more whole foods (i.e. chicken, beef, pork, vegetables, fruit, nuts, beans, dairy, etc).

scary glad you included the best source of protein...meat!! (oh and nuts and stuff too)
  • collingmommy
    collingmommy Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    dymatize fusion 7 elite is damn good! they have a lot of flavors, and the one that I like is the rich chocolate..
    I do
    1 scoop protein powder
    1 cup almond milk (unsweeted)
    SOMETIMES I add peanut butter ... 1 tablespoon of whipped jif
    so 280 calories and 27 grams protein!
  • susieoj
    susieoj Posts: 181
    Options
    The shake isn't the important part of the equation, I think you'll find people on here who have had success with every type of shake and also with no shakes at all... The differences between shakeology and muscle milk go way beyond whether you could lose weight with them or gain muscle drinking them, one has much better nutrition overall and I think we all know which lol but that doesn't really matter for your question - neither one is going to make you successful or prevent your success for that matter. You don't need shakes, they're just useful sometimes as a supplement.
  • helioguzman
    helioguzman Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone!
  • suppakana
    suppakana Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    For what it's worth, I drink shakeology off and on (it's pretty dang expensive x__x) and I really like what it does for me - basically, I use it as my (expensive) multivitamin. My hair and nails get stronger, I have less cravings, and I feel more energized. The biggest reason I'm using shakeology instead of a generic multi is because it also helps me with my morning "movements" (you know, pooping). I've been a *kitten* ton more regular in that department since I started drinking shakeo regularly.

Also, since I've been drinking it on and off for a few years, I've noticed a correlation: when I drink my shakeo regularly, the weight comes off easier. I fluctuate a lot more when I don't drink it - although that could just be the snacking I do without it :blushing:
  • cdahl383
    Options
    The shake isn't the important part of the equation, I think you'll find people on here who have had success with every type of shake and also with no shakes at all... The differences between shakeology and muscle milk go way beyond whether you could lose weight with them or gain muscle drinking them, one has much better nutrition overall and I think we all know which lol but that doesn't really matter for your question - neither one is going to make you successful or prevent your success for that matter. You don't need shakes, they're just useful sometimes as a supplement.

^ Very true.
  • spcr0428
    Options
    I have 2 bags (opened) of chocolate shakeology and 1/2 green. Just not tasting good :-( Any ideas on how to spice it up; it's toooo chocolaty; at one point, I liked it. This stuff is too pricey to not use up! I use vanilla almond milk, add vanilla EAS powder as well.
  • fit4lyfesandy
    fit4lyfesandy Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Interesting topic as I was just getting ready to write a blog about the two... I've been drinking Shakeology for 2+ years and yeah, its a tad pricey but its all how you break it down... $4/shake o quality vitamins and nutrients is not that bad. What you're getting in many proteins, other then RAW organic blends, is crap. Its highly processed and created with additives. if you're looking to remain a good quality of health/nutrition, go with the better stuff.
  • stephanieott
    stephanieott Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just completed researching Protien Shakes and because of sugars and hormone injections I found only two that seem safe (non GMO, Glutten Free, etc...)

Those are Shaklee's shakes (i can recommend my Shaklee distributor) and Natureade Total Soy (sold at Sam's Club).

I have many health issues so please know that my research was thorough!

To your success,
    Stephanie
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    if you want to lose weight and retain lean muscle then you should eat in a deficit, make sure that you are eating as much of your protein as possible, and that hit your macros for the day.

shakelogy is a waste of money...
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    I just completed researching Protien Shakes and because of sugars and hormone injections I found only two that seem safe (non GMO, Glutten Free, etc...)

Those are Shaklee's shakes (i can recommend my Shaklee distributor) and Natureade Total Soy (sold at Sam's Club).

I have many health issues so please know that my research was thorough!

To your success,
    Stephanie

lol.

strongsalespitch
  • Levesque_7
    Options

and here i thought i was the only one.....hahahaha