George Foreman grill..need advice? :)

Options
xarchie1980x
xarchie1980x Posts: 36 Member
hi there
i have come across numerous posts talking about george foreman grill and the wonderful recipes you can make with it. As such, I decided to buy one for myself as well.

However, I was confused when i saw soooo many different models available in it.......ranging from $20 to $110???

As such, I was wondering if anyone can plz tell me which one will be a good one to buy? thanks in advance! :)

Replies

• cdsledge09
    cdsledge09 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    It really depends on how much you cook at any one time. The price of the grill is usually related to the size of the grill and features of the grill plates. The thing that I would definitely suggest is that you spend the extra few dollars and get the Foreman grill that has removable grilling plates, otherwise cleaning is torture. Also, if you cook multiple meals (I cook all of my grilled chicken for lunches during the week on Sunday's, so I got the largest grill.) The largest of them will cook about 6 full sized chicken breasts at time. The smallest will cook about 2 breasts. Any other features of the grill will of course cost you more, which are things like bun warmers and other fancy items. You will just have to decide how much you'll use it and which features are important in order to make the price decision. I would say a standard grill with removable plates is a great starting point. Hope this helps. Happy Grilling :happy:

:flowerforyou:
  • stefonee
    stefonee Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm on my 3rd "George"...They last me about 4 years each...All models are great! I think you should focus more on size. I usually buy the basic looking "George" but the XL...this way I can cook a lot of food to portion control and freeze for later!! They also make these custom cleaning sponges just for the Foreman grill which makes it a lot easier to clean. Think about how many pieces of food you would like to cook and where you will store it when your not using it!! Hope this helps!
  • xarchie1980x
    Options
    i think i need a small one...but will look into the removable plates one...

is it really so difficult to clean it???
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    I had just been asking about 'George' myself and had dug up this old thread and read up on it, lots of tips already shared and more were given so wanted to also share this thread link with you all.:flowerforyou: It's got some great info, ideas on cleaning, which models folks prefer etc. It definitely helped me decide to figure out which one was for me. :drinker:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/83887-george-foreman-grill?page=3#posts-1557243
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    i think i need a small one...but will look into the removable plates one...

Check the link I just shared on your questions above, I think you might be happy with the responses. :drinker:

I went into the store after everyone had shared their experience on size, cleanup, someone shared the removable plate one doesn't cook up as quickly, so I had some good ideas as to what type I wanted. I went in planning on getting the smallest one for $19.99...I don't recall the name of it, it was the smallest one they sell, the photo on the box shows 2 burgers. I opened up the display and wondered how 2 burgers would fit, but I've not used any of his grills, so maybe magic happens when you close the lid on those burgers!:love::wink:

Then I looked at the one on display right next to it and saw it was clearanced out for $20.99 and it was a larger model and just now looked at my box...'super champ' is what it's called. I opened it up and wow, so much more space, but not TOO much, so that was good. I wanted to use it to cook a few things and have leftover chicken etc.

Same as you I was very confused on which one was what and did what and all that jazz. The link to the other thread really helped me from everyone sharing. All will have thoughts on what works best for them so just take the ideas you read and go see them in person and you will likely know exactly which size you need when you see it. Also I see the small ones priced at $16.99 for back to school, so you might get a good deal on that.

Hope something above helps you figure out the right one for you! :flowerforyou:

Edited: Used my Sisters the other day and had no issues cleaning it whatesoever. Someone shared on the other thread about a wet papertowel....try that out...

Good luck
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    Potatoes (George Foreman Grill)

Source: RecipeFriendsGlobalCooks@yahoogroups.com

You can use any kind of potatoes but red potatoes come out delicious and are better for you (converted to sugar slower). Potatoes on the grill is the one recipe that is truly unique to the GFG and can't be duplicated cooking them any other way. They come out like a cross between potato chips and French fries.

Peel the potatoes and cut them into approximately 1/8 inch strips (You'll find your favorite thickness after you cook them a few times.)

Cover them with extra virgin olive oil or light olive oil.

Spread them across the grill and try not to overlap them too much. If you cut them a little thicker you'll fit more but you don't want to make 'em too thick. You can fit about 1 1/4 pounds on a family size grill.

Cook them for 27 to 30 minutes. Yes, that's a long time but they'll come out crispy moist that way

I haven't tried this yet but it's something I would :) Lots of George recipes out there on the web, just glancing at some.
  • xarchie1980x
    Options
    Thanks becca! U rock! :flowerforyou:
    I plan to go right after work tomorrow and get one for myself. Can't wait to try the recipe u just posted as well :smile:

I started p90x... And want to increase my protein intake...

But problem is I don't cook at all...as I joke with my boy-friend that "me boiling water=cooking" :wink: lol

Anyhow... Hope that this will help me be a "iron chef" kinds too :tongue: lol j/k

Thanks once again!
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    Thanks becca! U rock! :flowerforyou:
    I plan to go right after work tomorrow and get one for myself. Can't wait to try the recipe u just posted as well :smile:

I started p90x... And want to increase my protein intake...

But problem is I don't cook at all...as I joke with my boy-friend that "me boiling water=cooking" :wink: lol

Anyhow... Hope that this will help me be a "iron chef" kinds too :tongue: lol j/k

Thanks once again!
    Fun! You're most welcome, I learned it all from others on here :) Just an fyi that was also shared with me, there are tons more recipes on the web when you look up foreman grills, in fact it looks like a number of things you do on the regular outdoor grill you can do on George's! Grilling fruit sounds delish :)
  • vsevertson
    vsevertson Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I love my George Foreman!! It is perfect for chicken, and I really LOVE salmon filets on the grill. The chicken I simplify and just use a misting of olive oil and lemon pepper. YUM! The salmon I salt, pepper, mist with olive oil and after it cooks 1 minute I drizzle honey over it and finish grilling. It is to DIE for!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    I love my George Foreman!! It is perfect for chicken, and I really LOVE salmon filets on the grill. The chicken I simplify and just use a misting of olive oil and lemon pepper. YUM! The salmon I salt, pepper, mist with olive oil and after it cooks 1 minute I drizzle honey over it and finish grilling. It is to DIE for!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    thanks for the ideas:wink:
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options

My plates are not removable and I as soon as I take the food off the grill I lay a very wet paper towel on the grill shut it and unplug it. Then after dinner the grates have soaked and are really easy to clean.

If you are cooking for one or two people, I would just buy the small $20 model. It works just the same.
  • smarriott
    smarriott Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    We pulled ours out of the closet and dusted it off and it is the most used appliance in the house. It sits on half the stove, so i have burners for steaming our vegies while george is grilling away. this way i can have the fan going, it helps. I will be ready for a new one soon, and i think i will go with removeable plates. It is a hassle to clean the plates. They are not difficult when they are hot, but it burns a little. George is definately worth the money and I agree, decide by how big of portions you will be cooking. I also cook all my chicken for lunch on Sunday night, so a larger George is perfect.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options

My plates are not removable and I as soon as I take the food off the grill I lay a very wet paper towel on the grill shut it and unplug it. Then after dinner the grates have soaked and are really easy to clean.

If you are cooking for one or two people, I would just buy the small $20 model. It works just the same.
    I used mine for the first time last night and did the wet paper towel trick. How easy that made it! Thank you for that tip!

Someone on one of the George threads ask about odors on the grill. I was reading through the booklet and it shared making a paste of baking soda to clean it with. Haven't tried it, haven't needed to yet, just passing on the info:wink:
  • vsevertson
    vsevertson Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    The wet paper towels is a GREAT idea!!!!!!