College Girl

Options
Hi Guys!! I've Just Decided To Introduce Myself But I've Been On MFP Since May. I'm Having A Hard Time Finding People Around My Ago Who Are Interested In Getting In Shape And Being Healthy. I've Recently Committed To Being An Ovo-Lacto Vegetarian And My Favorite Ways To Get In My Workout Are 30 Day Shred, The Elliptical Trainer, Walking/Jogging, And Yoga. With Classes Starting Back Up Tomorrow I'm Feeling The Pressure Already Of Staying Committed To My Lifestyle Changes. Lots Of Fast Food, Junk Food, And Alcohol Are Already Being Thrown In My Face So I'm Hoping To Find Some Friends Who Understand The Challenges I'm Facing.

Replies

• misspenny762
    misspenny762 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I'm a junior in college, and am always looking for MFP friends, especially college-age :] Sending you a friend request!
  • sngnyrslp
    sngnyrslp Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I'm sending you a friend request too! I'm going into my junior year of college and I'm also currently almost halfway through 30 day shred!
  • AmandaB4588
    Options
    Hi girls! I am also a junior at University of Houston. I live at home so don't have all of the food temptations but it sure is hard to stay away from the beer!
  • iDreamNEON
    iDreamNEON Posts: 112
    Options
    It's cool we're all juniors LOL. I'm on campus so my weaknesses are pizza and beer. Studying for finals? Order Pizza. Party Tonight? Order pizza and get a 12 pack.
  • misspenny762
    misspenny762 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I've actually been trying to stop drinking for a while for other reasons, but I've only been able to really stay away now that I have a calorie goal as a motivation! Haha so this is benefiting my health in more ways than one. I'm actually really excited for my school to start back up again (which isn't until late September) because I'll be moving out and have full control of the foods I stock my kitchen with and I'll be riding my bike everywhere... not to mention the free gym membership! So I'm actually expecting college to accelerate my weight loss!
  • iDreamNEON
    Options
    Congrats misspenny! College helped to get me started on my weight loss but it came with the temptations too. I love stocking my kitchen up with healthy foods and I love going to our gym as well. I don't get tempted until I hang out with friends.
  • SayRah
    SayRah Posts: 104
    Options
    Hey! I'm a sophomore in college :) I can totally relate with ya on eating healthy until you go out and socialize. It's SO tempting just to eat what everyone else is eating (and drinking, for that matter, LOL) but I think treating yourself every weekend isn't too bad. To be honest, I went to parties every weekend (but I went to the gym, ate healthy, walked a lot, etc. when I wasn't at parties) and lost weight my freshman year, when I had friends who were strictly non-partiers and gained the Freshman Fifteen since they ate badly every single day! It's all a matter of balancing it out.
  • sngnyrslp
    sngnyrslp Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I have it a lot easier, I think, because I don't drink. I do have quite a snacking problem though! My campus has some really delicious unhealthy foods - California Pizza Kitchen, ice cream, chinese food, and a convenience store full of snacks. Sometimes it's hard to make the best choices! I'm going to start off this year by buying a LOT of fruits and veggies to keep me from eating when I'm not actually hungry. Bored snacking tends to be my downfall
  • iDreamNEON
    Options
    @SayRah I'm definitely looking to strike a balance between socializing and being healthy. I'm hoping to limit partying/alcohol to just Saturdays this semester instead of fridays and saturdays.

@sngnyrslp Wow I can't imagine. If our cafeteria looked like that I think I'd be much worse at eating healthy. We have pizza, burgers, etc but we also can have low cal smoothies made, veggie burgers, subs [i usually only put veggies on my subs], and fresh prepacked salads.] I have to say they made it a little easier to make healthy choices. I'm also guilty of mindless snacking which I try to turn into mindless water drinking. If I'm bored I reach for whatever is there so I keep water closer