Stronglifts and lower back pain

Options
Bear in mind I frequently have back problems anyway, but they're definitely correlated with lifting.

A day or two after I lift I tend to get spasms in my lower back. Like over my hip. I'm pretty sure it's in my hip flexors. I THINK it's the squats because this seems to happen with every workout and not just a or b, although I'll pay more attention in the future to see if maybe it's another exercise after all.

I did SL for a good while and then stopped for a few months. The back pain subsided with the break. I recently picked it up again, am not lifting as heavy (for now), and it has returned.

Does this point to any specific likely error? I've done a lot of research on what proper form is and am really careful to execute it. I warm up and cool down. I don't want to stop lifting but I'm worried I'll hurt myself.

Replies

• JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I would first suspect a form issue. I have had problems with my hip flexors in the past, and they still get irritated from time to time. I have found that the more I squat, the more likely I am to aggravate them. I make sure to stretch hip flexors really well before lifting...it's a hard place to stretch, but I found some videos on YouTube that have helped. I also had to adjust my form. I can't squat in a normal stance...my body just doesn't want to bend that way. However, I have found that I can tolerate a wider stance much easier. I can drop to parallel or a bit below as long as I take a wider stance...a traditional stance I can't get close, even with just bodyweight squats. Also, if I'm trying to work through an inflammation flare, I'll first drop the weight back a bit, and then not squat quite as deep for a couple days to let them rest some. I'll also ice the area after working out.

This has helped quite a bit for me. The first time it happened, I ignored it, told myself to suck it up, and kept squatting the same way. I ended up having to take about 10 weeks off from squatting.

PS. I should also mention that I had previously had a minor fracture to the hip that was bothering me...have you had a hip injury that could make you more prone to inflammation there?

PSS. A couple sessions with a personal trainer to make sure you have proper lifting form probably wouldn't hurt either.
  • YoBecca
    YoBecca Posts: 167
    Options
    I would recommend seeing a chiro who works with athletes/sports medicine, or else a really good physical therapist. I was having serious lower back pain while doing SL, and my chiro got me tuned up in no time. Foam rolling your legs and hips can help with back issues also (as they are often connected). For the actual pain, put our self on a schedule of icing your back - 15 minutes every 2 hours. I think it may work to clear up back pain more than anything else.
  • furenaef
    furenaef Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    1. i know ppl always say perfect form, but highly doubt it without a vid.
    2. take a break from lift, and do lifts that dont hurt for a couple of months
    3.do you have sciatic nerve pain? down the leg?
    4. very rare are hip flexors a problem for most women as they are very flexible.
    5. are you squating by starting at the knews?
    6. you will **** up your back if you dont progress overload.
  • bmqbonnie
    bmqbonnie Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips! I thought maybe I was crazy because I don't feel like I'm doing anything to that area at the time. I could see deadlifts or even overhead press but not during squats, but that does seem to be what's doing it.

I never had a serious injury but there was one time I was riding a horse that was giving me some trouble and I sort of slammed into the saddle and that same area instantly hurt incredibly badly. I got of and fetal positioned on the ground. A week or so later it hadn't gone away and it hurt to do anything, so I saw a chiro (at the university and familiar with rehab) who adjusted me a couple times, recommended some stretches, and also had me go get a massage in that area. Chrio did say it was the hip flexors.

That all helped and for the most part it's laid dormant until now. The pain is very similar to when I first hurt myself there.
  • JTick
    Options
    Thanks for the tips! I thought maybe I was crazy because I don't feel like I'm doing anything to that area at the time. I could see deadlifts or even overhead press but not during squats, but that does seem to be what's doing it.

I never had a serious injury but there was one time I was riding a horse that was giving me some trouble and I sort of slammed into the saddle and that same area instantly hurt incredibly badly. I got of and fetal positioned on the ground. A week or so later it hadn't gone away and it hurt to do anything, so I saw a chiro (at the university and familiar with rehab) who adjusted me a couple times, recommended some stretches, and also had me go get a massage in that area.

That all helped and for the most part it's laid dormant until now. The pain is very similar to when I first hurt myself there.

Did it hit on the hip joint? Where at on the hip joint? Outside? Did you land on the horn?

Horse injuries suck butt...my fractured hip came from getting slammed into an arena that was well-overdue for a drag and was packed like concrete.
  • furenaef
    Options
    I would not Deadlift, have done 5x5 in the past, and then switched. after 3yrs im back to it, I rarely deadlift, and when i do its like 225lb.

but i do squat 320lb.

advice is checking form, again,
    stop doing things that hurt till they dont hurt anymore.

and you can hurt your back sneezing, so it could be anything else.
  • JTick
    Options

4. very rare are hip flexors a problem for most women as they are very flexible.

I'm probably the least flexible person alive. Touching my toes can be an issue some days. :grumble: Add on top of that the injuries I've added to my body over the years, and I'm just not very bendy.
  • furenaef
    Options

I'm probably the least flexible person alive. Touching my toes can be an issue some days. :grumble: Add on top of that the injuries I've added to my body over the years, and I'm just not very bendy.

yes, some ppl are like that, but for the most part, women are over flexible and squat/Deadlift really well, better than guys that lift at times. but if you have injuries, you got to do what works for you
  • bmqbonnie
    bmqbonnie Posts: 836 Member
    Options

I never had a serious injury but there was one time I was riding a horse that was giving me some trouble and I sort of slammed into the saddle and that same area instantly hurt incredibly badly. I got of and fetal positioned on the ground. A week or so later it hadn't gone away and it hurt to do anything, so I saw a chiro (at the university and familiar with rehab) who adjusted me a couple times, recommended some stretches, and also had me go get a massage in that area.

Did it hit on the hip joint? Where at on the hip joint? Outside? Did you land on the horn?

Horse injuries suck butt...my fractured hip came from getting slammed into an arena that was well-overdue for a drag and was packed like concrete.

Nah I just was riding as usual and it got rougher. Just slammed down and then my back hurt. I think I was tensing my back at the same time which must've done it.

Hopefully I can get a quick video or I can get into a weight trianing class at school to help point out possible issues.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    When in doubt take a video and post it. And don't take a video with just the bar, load up your normal weights. Most people have perfect form with nothin on there and turn into a completely differet lifter when the weight makes them work.