Alternative to Raisins?

Xenopha
Xenopha Posts: 6 Member
edited September 21 in Food and Nutrition
Hi,

Does any one have a recommendation for a low sugar alternative to raisins?

To make sure I eat breakfast every day I make single serving oatmeal containers (instant oatmeal is nasty) and take them to work with me so I can eat them at my desk while I check my email and plan out my day.

One of the ingredients is 1/4 cup of raisins. This has about 28 grams of sugar! I know that fruit sugar is nothing to really worry about, but I understand that your body will burn sugar before it burns fat. I would like to find a dried fruit with a lower sugar content to eat in the mornings. Any ideas or recommendations?

Peace out!

Replies

• HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Does it need to be fruit? The reason I ask is I typically do a carb/protein combo at meals. So for example oatmeal for breakfast with 1 T. Nut Butter (whatever one you like best) or some chopped raw almonds. That way you're getting some carb/protein together.

Hm, most dried fruit is sugar concentrated so not sure what to tell ya to switch over too. Dried apricots,apples, prunes, etc., you can buy a mixed bag of them and chop them up smaller.

Yup, raisins are easier to toss in aren't they? lol You could go with 1/8 cup and do a half serving of fruit?

Just tossing out ideas :)
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Well - all fruit has sugar and all I can think of is fruit. Fresh is really great right now - especially the stone fruit - Apples, peaches, plums, apricots, pluots, blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, strawberries, bananas, pears, dried cranberries or cherries, dates, figs, chopped nuts. I know one person who stirs in some peanut butter and all fruit jam. That's enough to get you started!
  • Dom_m
    Dom_m Posts: 336 Member
    If you like raisins I'd keep going with them. Like you said, there's nothing wrong with sugar, and if it gives you a bit of an energy boos in the morning you might find you burn more calories throughout the day just by being energetic.
  • Xenopha
    Xenopha Posts: 6 Member
    Yeah, the problem with the energy boost is that it gets wasted as I am your typical desk worker. One of the things my boss is encouraging me to do is take a morning break and go work out in the gym on base (I am a training and management consultant for the Coast Guard). I am thinking about it, but taking an hour in the morning to go work out (which would require a second shower) is a bit of a stretch.

I will look at the nuts option. I just ran out of raisins so I will get some pumpkin seeds on my next trip to the store.
This discussion has been closed.