Classics

Carissa145
Carissa145 Posts: 604 Member
Is anyone else into the classics? Such as the Bronte sisters, Jane Austen, Alcott, and etc.? What's your favorite book?

Mine is Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte.

Replies

• baldzach
    baldzach Posts: 1,841 Member
    I loved Robinson Crusoe.
  • Carissa145
    I loved Robinson Crusoe.

Just read that! It was really good. The movie didn't even compare in quality to the book, though.
  • prestigio
    prestigio Posts: 181 Member
    Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell
    and Animal Farm by George Orwell
    Both of those books really set me to thinking
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Reading Jane Austen made me contemplate suicide. (Ok, not really, but it was pretty awful)

I did love Robinson Crusoe, though, and read it at least a half dozen times as a kid.
  • Carissa145
    Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell
    and Animal Farm by George Orwell
    Both of those books really set me to thinking

I think I read animal farm too young (I think I was around ten or so). I cried and cried. It was a good plot, though.
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Always has been and always will be (as far as I can tell) The Iliad. I love books of all kinds. My favorites are on historical subjects. I'm an artist, so I get a lot of my inspiration for paintings from old folktales or stories. Even if they weren't made for books, I still love reading about old stories like that.
  • Carissa145
    Always has been and always will be (as far as I can tell) The Iliad. I love books of all kinds. My favorites are on historical subjects. I'm an artist, so I get a lot of my inspiration for paintings from old folktales or stories. Even if they weren't made for books, I still love reading about old stories like that.

That was a good one too. Who was your favorite character? I liked Hector a lot....
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member

That was a good one too. Who was your favorite character? I liked Hector a lot....

Probably Patroclus.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    The Cat in the Hat by Dr. Seuss
  • RachelBiancaxx
    RachelBiancaxx Posts: 62 Member
    Big fan of Thomas Hardy.

Also, The Count of Monte Cristo and The Hunchback of Notre Dame are very good reads.

I just finished Jane Eyre and loved that too. If you enjoyed Wuthering Heights, you should definitely give Jane Eyre a go if you haven't already.
  • i read Catch-22 cuz i was in a huge anti-hero theme. Portnoy's Complaint, oooh i Loved it, such a dirty filthy writer, it was awesome. Older than that i like poetry by Edgar Allen Poe and Ezra Pound
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Of Mice and Men. Read it so many times, I must've replaced it 10 times over the last 50 years. The copy I have now is held together with a rubber band.

The other book I love is The Judoka. Unfortunately, it is out of pring for decades and I cannot replace it.
  • ThatOperaGirl
    ThatOperaGirl Posts: 138 Member
    I loved "The Picture of Dorian Gray" by Oscar Wilde. Also another fan of "The Iliad" :smile: I'm tossing up between reading "Madame Bovary" or "Dangerous Liaisons" next...
  • FatHuMan1
    FatHuMan1 Posts: 1,028 Member
    Huckleberry Finn
    The Odyssey
    Dante's Inferno
    Papillion
  • Satiable
    Satiable Posts: 121
    Also, The Count of Monte Cristo and The Hunchback of Notre Dame are very good reads.

Yes! I revisit TCoMC at least once a year. If only they hadn't happily-ever-aftered the movie version… :grumble:

'Call of the Wild', Jack London, is my favourite bedtime story.

Did anyone else feel genuinely sorry for Humbert in 'Lolita', Vladimir Nabokov?
  • Satiable
    Satiable Posts: 121
    The other book I love is The Judoka. Unfortunately, it is out of pring for decades and I cannot replace it.

@ TheRoadDog. Sure you can, Alibris has them starting from $57.
    http://www.alibris.com/The-Judoka-W-D-Norwood/book/3475598?qsort=p&matches=7&cm_sp=works*listing*buyused
  • PennyM140
    PennyM140 Posts: 423 Member
    The Count of Monte Cristo, by far my favorite book. Following for other classics to add to my reading list.
  • RachelBiancaxx
    RachelBiancaxx Posts: 62 Member

Yes! I revisit TCoMC at least once a year. If only they hadn't happily-ever-aftered the movie version :grumble:

'Call of the Wild', Jack London, is my favourite bedtime story.

Did anyone else feel genuinely sorry for Humbert in 'Lolita', Vladimir Nabokov?

They butcher movie versions of most books unfortunately... Movies are aimed at the widest possible audience and so a lot of things have to be tweaked
  • Carissa145
    Well perhaps not really a classic, but one of my favourites is The Shining by Stephen King

Ohh I want to read that one!
  • Carissa145
    The Count of Monte Cristo, by far my favorite book. Following for other classics to add to my reading list.

I got about half way through this one, and I realized it was the abridged version (they had it in tiny little words on the back cover). I started the unabridged, but I was already kinda discouraged about wasting my time on the abridged.