Alcohol

Options
So tomorrow night I have a few friends coming over that I haven't seen in a while and they will be expecting to drink lots of alcohol and get totally **** faced and they will be expecting me to live up to my old drinking reputation - drinking games and all kinds of shenanigans.Sounds like fun right? I wish. As much as I would love to get completely sloshed I really don't want to ruin a whole week's worth of efforts (trust me, I can drink like nobody's business and those calories add up!). But I don't particularly want them to know I'm trying to be so conservative. And I have a tendency to throw caution to the wind after I've had a few and I always end up drinking way more than I intend to. I once tried eating less during the day to compensate for the calories...never again...the hangover was horrendous. So...any tips on how to survive the night without feeling super guilty the next day?

Replies

• jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    Personally I either enjoy the night and disregard calories, or I work out in the morning to gain some extra calories. Shots of vodka or vodka + diet soda is always a route that I take as well. I can get pretty wasted off of like 600 calories if I plan it out right.

It really depends on what you like to drink. Aaaannd eat before they come over if you have tendencies to overeat while drinking.
  • gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Alternate drinks and water or have smaller drinks, and try to avoid food (eat before you go out). Otherwise just enjoy yourself :-)
  • blably
    blably Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    it seems normal this week that i drink about 600 cal of alcohol...and am pretty smashed :D

just work out a bit more toe arn the cals, and have a great night, you wont ruin anythin
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    So tomorrow night I have a few friends coming over that I haven't seen in a while and they will be expecting to drink lots of alcohol and get totally **** faced and they will be expecting me to live up to my old drinking reputation - drinking games and all kinds of shenanigans.Sounds like fun right? I wish. As much as I would love to get completely sloshed I really don't want to ruin a whole week's worth of efforts (trust me, I can drink like nobody's business and those calories add up!). But I don't particularly want them to know I'm trying to be so conservative. And I have a tendency to throw caution to the wind after I've had a few and I always end up drinking way more than I intend to. I once tried eating less during the day to compensate for the calories...never again...the hangover was horrendous. So...any tips on how to survive the night without feeling super guilty the next day?

either make the choice to go balls out and not feel guilty, or drink in moderation....
  • russellbrand69
    russellbrand69 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I am Irish so I can sympathize with this.
    I drink a large glass of water for every alcoholic drink I have - I find I drink much less booze when I do this, but still get a little buzz, and I still get to hang out with my friends.
    An added bonus is that I don't get hangovers anymore.
    People can be a bit "why are you drinking so much water?" at the start, but then they forget - probably because they're drunk!
  • padams2359
    padams2359 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Weight was not an issue when I was 24. God knows i did my share of drinking at that age. My share, your share, and everyone else that posted's share, frequently. The fact that you are thinking through it tells me you are more mature than I was at that age. If this is really a rare event, go for it. A hangover is not an issue of drinking on an empty stomach, it is the dehydration the alcohol causes. Stay hydrated, and the hangover should not be as bad. That is why I switched to scotch and club soda in my early 20s. Maybe if the hangovers were worse, I would have drank as much. Everyone I knew that drank S&S did it for the same reason, hangovers not as bad. Why else would you change to something that takes so long to get use to?
  • goodnamegone
    Options
    Cancel? Why put yourself in that situation?
  • novembersuse
    novembersuse Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I sometimes get myself a soft drink when it's my round, and tell people it's vodka and coke/gin and tonic or something. No-one notices and it can make a big difference (depending on how many people the round covers!). The tricky part is always the next day when I'm hungover and want to spend the day eating rubbish and not leaving the house. That's what really sets me back after a night on the tiles.
  • _db_
    _db_ Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    So tomorrow night I have a few friends coming over that I haven't seen in a while and they will be expecting to drink lots of alcohol and get totally **** faced and they will be expecting me to live up to my old drinking reputation - drinking games and all kinds of shenanigans.Sounds like fun right? [snip] But I don't particularly want them to know I'm trying to be so conservative. [snip]

Don't worry about what they think and do what's best for you. If anyone doesn't respect your decision, maybe the value of their friendship should be reevaluated?
  • sg992
    sg992 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I think I overcompensate with how many calories I spare for drinking; I always knock ~300 cals off my food (covers predrinks in my mind, I stick to vodka/flavoured fizzy water) and then we go clubbing for 4-5 hours, more than enough moving about to cover anything extra I buy in the club. It's tricky if it's a house thing though, since you stay pretty static, I think I'd just knock extra calories off food on the day/the next day.
  • AprilOneFourFour
    AprilOneFourFour Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Tell your friends that you're really hungover and can't quite face a drink yet....as it gets later they won't notice whether you are or aren't as long as you're still having a good time. You could also reward yourself with a nice drink later on when you're less likely to get on the crazy merry-go-round.
    Working out and earning some calorie points is good too, but might be best to avoid the hangover and the hunger it brings the next day.
  • harvo
    harvo Posts: 4,676 Member
    Options
    Why are you afraid to tell them you have made changes and will be happy to partake of the fun just not as the guzzle buddy?
  • p4ulmiller
    p4ulmiller Posts: 588 Member
    Options

Ask yourself why you are on a healthy eating plan. It's so you can have the odd blow-out and deal with it in your day-to-day meal planning.

Seriously, go out and have a good time. Live the old days with your old friends. Get completely sloshed.

Then you can pick up tomorrow where you left off. What will you consume extra? 3,500 calories? That would be 14 pints of beer, 23 shots or 17 large glasses of wine. You'll nail that deficit before next weekend.

Life sometimes gets in the way.

Oh, and Pics. Or it didn't happen.
  • CillitBang
    CillitBang Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Ask yourself why you are on a healthy eating plan. It's so you can have the odd blow-out and deal with it in your day-to-day meal planning.

Seriously, go out and have a good time. Live the old days with your old friends. Get completely sloshed.

Then you can pick up tomorrow where you left off. What will you consume extra? 3,500 calories? That would be 14 pints of beer, 23 shots or 17 large glasses of wine. You'll nail that deficit before next weekend.

Life sometimes gets in the way.

Oh, and Pics. Or it didn't happen.

Well said that man.

On this site we get far too caught up in the 'Oh my god, I went over by 200 calories'. Life is for living. The fact that we're all on here shows that we're trying and we're thinking about the choices that we make. When I think about what I used to drink AND not exercise AND overeat, I just think that these days am entitled to an odd wee blow out.

The famous phrase "everything in moderation" comes into play. I say enjoy yourself and spend the next few days detoxing - eat and drink well and exercise. Have a great time. I'm going out with my friend tonight straight from work and fully expect to drink at least 6 *cough* rum and diet cokes and bounce through the door at 2am with pakora or some other deep fried naughtiness. BRING IT!
  • WellForte
    Options
    Alcohol consumption is not very good for health. You may indulge in it but do not make it a habit.
  • lambchoplewis
    Options
    I am now 7 days without wine. I was up to a 1.5 Liter bottle every night. My skin looks better and I am saving $$$.. I had maintained for 9 months and found 10 extra lbs from May to now. Alcohol is calories, burns as fuel before the fat and makes me binge eat. A triple threat I don't need.

Yes, I still would like a drink but I can't have just one. I can do this and get the extra lbs off
  • BossLadyDSimp
    BossLadyDSimp Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I went to a football game and drank 1,000 calories of beer! I also walked 1,000 calories off that day too. Try to keep moving and be active if possible.

I agree with most people either GO HARD, or conserve. I would have said don't eat but you said that was a horrible hangover and I wouldn't want that.

This weekend I am drinking with coworkers. I am brining my own drinks and having bottles. That way I dont have to suss out how many ounces are in the tequlia and asking for Diet Coke when i know they wont have any. I will drink only what I brought and still have a good time.

Just remember that your friends cant lose the weight for you so if you have to do it your way they should respect that! If not, kick rocks!

50540473.png
  • MzLaLa29
    MzLaLa29 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    make it look like you're drinking cocktails, but just fill your glass with juice. once they're drunk you can drink water all night and they won't even notice. works like a charm
  • rosemary98
    Options
    I am now 7 days without wine. I was up to a 1.5 Liter bottle every night. My skin looks better and I am saving $$$.. I had maintained for 9 months and found 10 extra lbs from May to now. Alcohol is calories, burns as fuel before the fat and makes me binge eat. A triple threat I don't need.

Yes, I still would like a drink but I can't have just one. I can do this and get the extra lbs off

congratulations. that is a great achievement.
  • mazmataz
    mazmataz Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Well personally, I have decided that I will never, ever drink a drop of alcohol again. This decision has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that I had three rather large glasses of wine with dinner last night and now I'm at work feeling like a steam roller made it's way through my bedroom and over my bed while I was sleeping! :P

Seriously though, it is difficult trying to negotaite social gatherings whilst trying not to use all of your calories and then some on alcohol. As much as I love wine, I tend to only have a glass or two (or three!) with a meal...whereas I used to drink a bottle before heading out for a night out! Now I'll stick to vodka and Diet Coke or vodka and soda with a slice of lime. I'm trying to drink more of the latter now as I'm really not happy with drinking so much diet coke.

If I know I have a night out, I'll try and fill up on low cal foods during the day like a mountain of stir fried veggies with some protein in there.

It's tricky but it's possible. My mum lost 60lbs a few years ago (we're Scottish, so a simialr issue to the irish when it comes to drinking ;)) and still drank every weekend. She was doing WW, so she just saved like 6 points a day during the week and 'spent' it on some vodka at the weekend.

Good luck & have a blast!!

But yeah...never drinking again ;)