Recording a spinning class in MFP

Options
What do you all use to record your calories burned from a spinning class? The spinning pre-set in MFP didn't seem accurate. It only gave me a few hundred calories for an hour of spinning. I also tried "Bicycling, vigorous effort," which seemed more accurate to me, but wonder if that's too much since it's not vigorous the entire time.
What do you think?

Replies

• robinalexis
    robinalexis Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I don't know the answer to your question, but I am wondering which app or gadget would accurately record our spinning effort and calorie burned and then sync with MFP. I use Run Keeper when I walk and it's great. No guess work. Anyone use an app for spinning?
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    A heart rate monitor would give you the best measurement, otherwise I'd go with the MFP estimate.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    I use an HRM when spinning, for fun and framework with effort levels. The default spinning input is significantly lower than my HRM results.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I went to my MFP exercise and put in spinning and it gave me 375 calories for 60 minutes. If I ride my road bike for an hour at a fast pace I get around 400 to 450 with my HRM so I think MFP is pretty close as far as my numbers go.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    What do you all use to record your calories burned from a spinning class? The spinning pre-set in MFP didn't seem accurate. It only gave me a few hundred calories for an hour of spinning. I also tried "Bicycling, vigorous effort," which seemed more accurate to me, but wonder if that's too much since it's not vigorous the entire time.
    What do you think?

I use the stationary bike 15-20 mph setting... I then don't report all time, if it's a 45 minute class, I'll report 35. In reality though, my HRM gives me a count, and that is normally higher than the mfp count.

EDITED TO ADD: In the weeks coming up to my tri, my HRM was listing my spinning class burn at about 900 calories per 50 minute class, but I was total beast mode and trying to make myself puke. It's the fear of the dfl.