Help with calories and lifting heavy

Options
Right now my calories are 2,000 and that includes breastfeeding 4-5 times a day and 30 Day Shred. I have 2 days of Shred left and I am gathering equipment to start the SL 5x5 program. Should I keep my calories the same? I'm not sure how much you burn when lifting but I have read a lot of people eat a bit more because your body needs the energy to build muscle. Is this true?

Normally I like to walk but winter is almost here and I won't be going out with a stroller in the ice and snow. I might do some of those Leslie Sansone videos every now and then.

Would it be OK to stay where I am at and see how that works? Or would I end up putting on hard to lose weight? How will I know if I should be going down in calories since I might gain because I'm starting to rebuild muscles and retaining water? I've been taking my measurements but I'm not very good at it. I'm not sure I've measured the same spot in each area.

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Some trial and error will probably be required to figure out where you're supposed to be. To start off, I certainly wouldn't increase cals when you shift from 30DS to SL. Either stay where you are or cut cals slightly, then see how things go for a month.
  • loriq41
    loriq41 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I ended up having to increase my cals when a plateau coincided with my starting heavy weights..unfortunately as everyone says..weightloss is not linear and like Jacksonpt said..it is trial and error :)
  • Care76
    Care76 Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    OK. I will see how it goes staying where I am. I just don't want to end up going up in size. But at the same time I don't want to risk my milk supply (which I still have issues with).