Recommend a good HRM?

I'm 8 lbs from my goal weight and the idea of maintaining seems daunting, especially with the holidays right around the corner. While I haven't had any issue losing weight, I wanted a more accurate idea of just how much I am burning and my requirements to sustain my goal weight. Would you recommend a HRM or just guess until I hit the property intake when I get there? I was thinking if hrm is the way to go, it could be my key to maybe ramp up certain days work outs so I could indulge once in awhile without the fear of gaining? Not that that's necessarily a desired approach all the time.

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,905 Member
    I have one and after spending the $100 (Polar) and playing with it maybe ten times, I stopped using it. You really don't need it. You already know what works, you've been losing and have been logging, right? It's all an estimate. I just use a flat 300 calories per hour when I exercise moderately. I've been maintaining for six years. Save your money for important stuff.
  • suziepoo1984
    suziepoo1984 Posts: 915 Member
    I have one and after spending the $100 (Polar) and playing with it maybe ten times, I stopped using it. You really don't need it. You already know what works, you've been losing and have been logging, right? It's all an estimate. I just use a flat 300 calories per hour when I exercise moderately. I've been maintaining for six years. Save your money for important stuff.

I did this too after using one for a few months!
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    A heart rate monitor is designed to measure how your heart responds to exercise, how quickly your heart rate goes up and recovers during rest phases. You wear it only during active cardio exercise. I've had several Polar brand HRMs and been happy with them, but they're not essential for the ordinary person seeking weight loss.

If you want a device that you wear 24/7 and that will give you an ESTIMATE of your calorie burn and your activity level, get something like a Fitbit.

As for weight loss, I would carefully track what I eat, the exercise I get, and weigh myself several times a week, adjusting my calorie intake and activity level accordingly.
  • run2bfree
    run2bfree Posts: 108 Member
    I did the same thing when I had about 5 lbs to go. I bought the Zypher Bluetooth HRM off Amazon for about 80 bucks. It uses endomundo (syncs with MFP) or sportstracker - and it connects via bluetooth to your phone. Love love love. I have been wearing it for abotu 4 months every single day. I love stats so I like know what workouts are better than others. I also use this to calc my calorie burn. I don't care what others' opinions are for what a HRM is supposed to do, the function was built in and calculated for a reason. You can have the GPS on it and it counts your steps too. Yes a fitbit or the one 24 hour fitness promotes called BodyBugg is good for an ALL DAY calculation. I had the BodyBugg and got over it because of its location on my arm and well, I didn't want to pay for the subscription.

Check it out. I love it and would absolutely recommend it.