REAL Fitness goals

I know we're all here to lose weight, duh. And I have quite a while to go until I'm at my goal, but Ive been on here for a while, and I've completed shifted my goals from losing weight to getting fit.

But I'm curious, is anyone else more focused on FITNESS rather than weight loss? What are your goals? I could really use more friends focuses on getting fit rather than just watching the numbers on the scale.

I start CrossFit on Monday. I've signed up for a Spartan Race in May and a Tough Mudder next October. My goals are to complete both and successfully complete all the obstacles.

Replies

• ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    Me! I want to lose weight too, but my main goal is to keep getting stronger and faster. I try to eat healthy foods that will help my performance, rather than just cutting calories. (I don't always succeed lol)

- One of my goals is to be able to do a full, unassisted chin-up (it may not seem like much, but I've never been able to do one).
    - I ran my first 10K this past spring in about an hour, so I'd like to improve my time for next spring.
    - I'm working with my trainer on heavier lifting, so I want to increase my deadlifts/squats/etc.

I did a few fun runs this year as well, and I'd love to try a Spartan or Tough Mudder next year.

Add me if you want :smile:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,908 Member
    What most don't realize is that if they just get fitter, weight loss and maintenance actually become easier. That's why it's always great to shoot for fitness as a goal.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Was challenged yesterday to try to hit my age in pull ups. Real, not pull flops. Pretty good challenge for the 35+ crowd.
  • VincitQuiSeVincit
    VincitQuiSeVincit Posts: 285 Member
    Me! I want to lose weight too, but my main goal is to keep getting stronger and faster. I try to eat healthy foods that will help my performance, rather than just cutting calories. (I don't always succeed lol)

- One of my goals is to be able to do a full, unassisted chin-up (it may not seem like much, but I've never been able to do one).
    - I ran my first 10K this past spring in about an hour, so I'd like to improve my time for next spring.
    - I'm working with my trainer on heavier lifting, so I want to increase my deadlifts/squats/etc.

I did a few fun runs this year as well, and I'd love to try a Spartan or Tough Mudder next year.

Add me if you want :smile:

I cant do a chin up either!!! But I'm working on it. It's a big part of CF to be able to manage your own body weight, but I still struggle with it A LOT
  • Feel free to add me. I still use the scale to keep an eye on trends, but I don't really care what my weight is. I say I have an UGW in the 120s, but if I stay in the 130s, I won't sweat it. My goals are fitness oriented, and I want to continue getting stronger and lifting heavier.

I don't have specific lifting goals that I'd like to meet, aside from a vague desire to squat at least 1.5x my body weight and bench my body weight, and see how many pullups (if any...) I can do; as long as I keep progressing, that's good enough for me, at least right now. My primary goal right now is psychological, and is to start lifting at the gym. I do my lifting at home, but I only have a standard bar and limited weight, so I've capped out what I can DL, squat, hip thrust (wink wink, nudge nudge), etc and can only increase reps, not weights, on those. I do have more than enough weight to keep me going with the upper body stuff for a while, though.
  • VincitQuiSeVincit
    Feel free to add me. I still use the scale to keep an eye on trends, but I don't really care what my weight is. I say I have an UGW in the 120s, but if I stay in the 130s, I won't sweat it. My goals are fitness oriented, and I want to continue getting stronger and lifting heavier.

I don't have specific lifting goals that I'd like to meet, aside from a vague desire to squat at least 1.5x my body weight and bench my body weight, and see how many pullups (if any...) I can do; as long as I keep progressing, that's good enough for me, at least right now. My primary goal right now is psychological, and is to start lifting at the gym. I do my lifting at home, but I only have a standard bar and limited weight, so I've capped out what I can DL, squat, hip thrust (wink wink, nudge nudge), etc and can only increase reps, not weights, on those. I do have more than enough weight to keep me going with the upper body stuff for a while, though.
    Overcoming a fear of lifting at the gym is HARD. I was terrified at first, but after a while, I realized that NO ONE was looking at me or judging me and if anything, men seemed IMPRESSED that I was lifting free weights rather than judging.
    You can do it!!
  • gmthisfeller
    gmthisfeller Posts: 779 Member
    Hellooooo! You are free to add me, if you like.

While it is true that I want to drop from 151 lbs, to 135 lbs., I only weigh each Saturday...if I remember to. I am way more focused on running a 10K in under 60 minutes. I am also aimed at getting my resting heart rate down from 60 bpm. So, those are my two goals at the moment. Dropping a few pounds here and there is fine, but to be able to clock 6.2 miles in 55 minutes will be a real achievement for me.
  • Overcoming a fear of lifting at the gym is HARD. I was terrified at first, but after a while, I realized that NO ONE was looking at me or judging me and if anything, men seemed IMPRESSED that I was lifting free weights rather than judging.
    You can do it!!

Thanks for the encouragement! Maybe I should set myself a challenge to take the plunge before the end of the year. My "old-year" resolution, if you will.
  • VincitQuiSeVincit
    Overcoming a fear of lifting at the gym is HARD. I was terrified at first, but after a while, I realized that NO ONE was looking at me or judging me and if anything, men seemed IMPRESSED that I was lifting free weights rather than judging.
    You can do it!!

Thanks for the encouragement! Maybe I should set myself a challenge to take the plunge before the end of the year. My "old-year" resolution, if you will.

You wont regret it! Splurge on an early xmas gift to yourself and get one session with a personal trainer and ask them to walk you through free weights... youll feel better about your form and the moves youre doing
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    My fitness goals are getting stronger and gaining muscle. I've been paying attention to the scale because I want it to go up some for now (a bulk). At some point I might try to get better cardio endurance and take up doing 5ks, but that's not my focus now.

I do have to say getting some real goals besides wasting calories at the gym is key. Don't just throw them away, use them to accomplish something!
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    I've been on fitness goals for over a year now. What weight I still have to lose is more a body composition thing (how I look in the mirror). When you focus on fitness, the weight loss tends to happen as an aside. It's far more fun to focus on fitness, IMO. I tend to stay dedicated to a healthy lifestyle when I focus on being fit, rather than what I weigh.

This year, I took up running and the only goal was to run a 5k. I have since run several, plus a 10k, and have my first half marathon in 2 weeks.:happy:
  • emjay6x3
    emjay6x3 Posts: 213 Member
    I would like to be able to run a 5k without stopping. I want to learn how to stay in that "groove" that I sometimes achieve during my runs.
  • Cburton1123
    Cburton1123 Posts: 8 Member
    Fitness is my primary goal too. I'm currently trying to shed a little fat, it's not the main focus. :) I'm doing a lot of lifting and running and a WOD here or there. I want to be strong, fit and athletic. I also have the goal of running Tough Mudder with my husband sometime next year and whatever 5k or obstacle coarse run I can find.

You'll get over your intimidation of the free weights fast. I did. I was pretty intimated at first, too. I'd much rather be the weight room than on the cardio equipment lately. Which is why I'm starting to add in crossfit to my routine.

Fitness is a way more fun goal!