Gym or not?

Options
Ok question. My lower back and neck are completely messed up and hurt really bad. Should I go to the gym today and just do light cardio or something or not go at all? To explain there is a knot in my lower back and my neck is just very tight and sore.

Replies

• ChrisLindsay9
    ChrisLindsay9 Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I would take the day off. Lower back and neck pain could impact your overall well-being and comfort.

If it was an ankle or wrist injury, I think you can work around it ... and if you made either slightly worse, then you can tape it up and try to avoid using it. It's hard to do this with back and neck. Even lying down and watching TV could be uncomfortable. Wouldn't want you to have a miserable weekend (or longer) when all you might have needed was a day or two of rest.
  • kelly52288
    Options
    Thank you. I wanted to go because i already missed a few days this week. But i definitely don't want to make it worse.
  • Urban_Princess
    Urban_Princess Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    The easy answer is stay at home. However, you could use those foam roller things to help get the knot out of your back. They may have them at the gym. Try to stretch a bit, but don't do cardio or anything. It may make the problem worse. I don't know what to say about your neck as it can be such fragile area. Try to talk to a trainer or a massage therapist about releasing the tension.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    are they hurt... or are they just a bit sore, and some good exercise will help you work out the kinks??

warm up, and use that foam roller!! it's soooo good. http://www.artofmanliness.com/2013/06/13/trigger-point-release/

if after that you still hurt, don't continue.
  • kelly52288
    Options
    I dont think My gym has foam rollers :(
  • ChrisLindsay9
    ChrisLindsay9 Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I dont think My gym has foam rollers :(
    When I have hurt my back, I get into the shower with the hot spray on my back and slowly bend over towards touching my toes and slowly rising back up again. I'm not sure if this is possible with your neck pain. But the heat of the water and slow movements seem to help. Temporarily at first, but the more you do it, the longer the benefits seem to last.
  • kelly52288
    Options
    I wil def do that! and i was also thinking about maybe taking a salt bath?