Serious cal problem

Options
So I've been getting very lightheaded lately, I don't really workout, just changed what i eat. I just went through my food diary. I've noticed that my daily cal goal is 1420, but i never make it to that many cals. Most of the time its under 1000 cals a day. I don't plan my meals around my daily goal. I just eat and then log. How do i reach my daily intake goals. I'm not hungry throughout the day, but i keep getting light headed. So i figured i must be starving my body......

Replies

• PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    Start planning your meals around your daily goal.
  • xoxodarladeexoxo
    Options
    I just eat and log, I feel that planning will make me become obsessed with calorie counting.
  • Swiftdogs
    Swiftdogs Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    If you're eating that little, you're also not getting enough protein and fat for your body to function properly. Try adding nuts, avocado and full-fat dairy. After logging halfway through the day, check your progress and make sure you eat enough to hit those three numbers. Good thing you recognize the problem now!
  • daniellemm1
    daniellemm1 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    The best way to hit your calorie and/or macro goals is to plan ahead and log ahead of time. Then you will know where you stand and if you need to add some snacks to meet your goals. Eating what you feel like it when you feel like it is likely to lead you to overeat or undereat and not meet your goals.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    I said that i don't plan it. I just eat and log

And I said, START planning it.

If you are having a problem meeting your daily goal, then you need to change what you are doing. Plan your meals out so that you do eat enough calories throughout the day to sustain yourself so that you feel good.

What other info would be helpful to you? There are plenty of calorie dense foods that are healthy that you can add to your diet: avocado, peanut butter, nuts...

None of that will be helpful though if you aren't putting conscious effort into your meal planning.
  • linsdog
    linsdog Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    So eat more calorie dense foods (nuts, etc). And log those. Or take the advice above and start planning out your day?
  • gabbygirl78
    gabbygirl78 Posts: 936 Member
    Options

Simple as this.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    How did you get to a point of needing to lose weight if you cannot even hit 1000 calories for a day?

Set reasonable goals.
  • FerretBuellerr
    FerretBuellerr Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Eat more? That seems like the obvious answer.

Have slightly larger portion sizes for meals you cook at home, then you may not necessarily have to "plan your meals around your daily goal" and keep eating what you're eating, but just eat a wee bit more of it (especially the protein - you'll easily get more cals there).

Although planning your meals around your goal would be the best.
  • 2spamagnet
    2spamagnet Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    How do i reach my daily intake goals so I wont keep sending my body into starvation mode. I'm not hungry throughout the day, but i keep getting light headed. So i figured i must be starving my body......

You definitely are not starving - until you are at a very low body fat percentage, your body will convert stored energy (fat cells) into the energy you need to function (and exercise, and work) throughout the day. Watch your weight loss and stay at 2 lb/week or less.

High protein foods, complex carbs, and nuts are good choices to help maintain blood sugar levels. Simple carbs and sugars get used quickly and can lead to crashes, which might be related?
  • xoxodarladeexoxo
    Options
    Because since i changed what i eat, and how i eat it the way i take in calories is different. To say how did you even get to a point to need to need lose weight is absolutely ridiculous. But good bless you for your comment anyway :smile:
  • endoftheside
    endoftheside Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Are you generally low on a certain macro or just overall? If you are 400 calories low usually, one possibility would be to add another serving of vegetables to each meal and a piece of string cheese and an apple for an extra snack. If you are low on protein, add another ounce of meat to each meal and cottage cheese for a snack. If you need fat, add an avocado and some nuts. You don't necessarily have to plan it out every single day, but spending a little time up front thinking in general about when you could most use a few extra calories (does your energy flag at any time?) and what would work best with your macros will benefit you down the road. I used to lose weight by eating as little as I possibly could for as long as I could stand it, but it never helped me learn how to eat to *maintain* my loss. The same mental process you go through to up your calories from 1000 to 1400 will help you when you go to maintenance and have to up them again to maintenance level.
  • sarrah_n
    sarrah_n Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Set mid-day calorie goals. If by the end of lunch you have not met that goal, keep additional snacks (yogurt, protein bar, etc) on hand to fulfill that deficit.

I am currently eating 1800 cals a day. By the end of lunch (1:30ish) I try to be over 800 calories. I tend to eat alot after my evening workouts and generally take in about 500 at dinner and 500 after my workout. Obviously this is based on my goals, not yours. But something to consider.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    Options
    Cookies. Cookies are always the answer.

You are 400 ish calories low. Eat that amount of cookies.

Ta DA :drinker: ...and a glass of milk
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Cookies. Cookies are always the answer.

You are 400 ish calories low. Eat that amount of cookies.

Ta DA :drinker: ...and a glass of milk

This!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I just eat and log, I feel that planning will make me become obsessed with calorie counting.

Not such a good idea. Long term goal .....maintaining your weight loss.

Planning is a great learning tool. Planning is what allows you to go out for a nice dinner or have dessert.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

I read the rest of the thread. It should have ended with the 2nd post, which I quoted.

Don't make excuses. Either take control of things, or continue to be sick/lightheaded.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I read this as Serious cat problem.

Just eat more. its very easy.

peanutbutter.jpg

Now your cat problem. I'm not so sure about.
  • fatfudgery
    fatfudgery Posts: 449 Member
    Options

What's wrong with becoming obsessed with calorie-counting?
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options

If you fail to plan then plan to fail. You really need to be logging ahead of time. Once you get it down and start hitting your macros this will become easier.