Everyone's out to get me

Options
So, here I am, inside a Starbucks. Just flipped open the laptop to enter food/exercise details, and made a conscious choice to NOT HAVE a Venti Mocha with Whipped Cream. So far, so good. However, withing ten minutes the kindly staff are doing the rounds, handing out free samples of some creamy muck.

The funny thing: whenever a person suggests they'd better not, the reply is always, "come on, one won't do you any harm". Always makes me laugh.

This has obviously been touched on before. Simply reminds of just how much is pushed our way... even when we go out of our way to avoid it in the first place.

Can't offer any motivation on this - I'm just an average slob :-)

Replies

• lessismoreohio
    lessismoreohio Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    Thanks for a dose of real life and a reminder that we're all in this together.
  • ElizabethFuller
    ElizabethFuller Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I always lie, tell them that I'm allegic/that gives me migraines etc. Very bad, but then they don't try and change your mind and take the freebee. Also, it means that you can't change your mind later. :smile:
  • DeeVanderbles
    DeeVanderbles Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I always lie, tell them that I'm allegic/that gives me migraines etc. Very bad, but then they don't try and change your mind and take the freebee. Also, it means that you can't change your mind later. :smile:
    Haha that's a great idea!!
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    I think the best weight loss advice is finding the ability to say "no". I was walking through Costco the other day, and there's like 10 people giving out samples. It was about 10am, so not a meal time. If you ate all 10, I'm pretty sure you'd be up in the 600-800 calorie range before you even checked out (that's a decent dinner). Said no to all, left the store, and didn't feel bad about it at all.
  • walkinthedogs
    walkinthedogs Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I've always wondered why people feel it is necessary to try and talk me into something that I have graciously said no thank you to, until I have to get rude about it, and then they look at me like I'm some kind of mean *****. When I say, "oh thank you, but I'll pass" that means no, no matter who you are or what you are offering. Why is that so hard to comprehend?
  • mmm_drop
    mmm_drop Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    Three magic words I have learned to use: "no, thank you".
  • kittenful
    kittenful Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    If I politely refused the first time, then I meant it. I'll just continue to refuse the product, or ignore them. Really depends on my mood and how pushy the person is.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    I've always wondered why people feel it is necessary to try and talk me into something that I have graciously said no thank you to, until I have to get rude about it, and then they look at me like I'm some kind of mean *****. When I say, "oh thank you, but I'll pass" that means no, no matter who you are or what you are offering. Why is that so hard to comprehend?

Because it's their job? They will get into trouble if they aren't persistent.

I worked retail in high school and you were required to get in customers' faces and give them your whole speech and hound them asking if they need anything. I eventually quit but it was a nightmare, especially since I'm one of those shoppers who doesn't want anyone talking to me. I'll come find you if I need something.

Trust me, they're not going it because they want to but because they have to.

Just a little perspective for you.
  • jjeanne7
    Options
    I used to work at Costco, you would be surprised at how many people actually "eat lunch" at Costco, eating at all of the sample tables, this is what they have actually told me! Incredible, but true :ohwell:
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I once had a lady in the grocery store try that line on me with with ice cream. I straight up told her she didn't know me or how my body would react and that essentially "no means no".
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    If you're that worried about it, why were you in a Starbuck's to begin with?
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, I find it funny that you went into a starbucks to use their wi fi and seating arrangements for free and were abhorred they attempted to get you to try theirs products and/or spend money.

I get it, I don't want a salesperson in my face when I go somewhere, but its like every waiter known to mankind. They are going to ask you if you want desert. You will say no. They will say "are you sure? the chocolate cake is aMAZZING!"

Don't go if you aren't interested. Stay home. Then you only have to fend off the occassional girl scout trying to sell you something.

But tread lightly

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSwFVBpxeEQVw3kiXRX3LwnATYYosgkbACvcffXrPiyClmw6L09
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, I find it funny that you went into a starbucks to use their wi fi and seating arrangements for free and were abhorred they attempted to get you to try theirs products and/or spend money.

I get it, I don't want a salesperson in my face when I go somewhere, but its like every waiter known to mankind. They are going to ask you if you want desert. You will say no. They will say "are you sure? the chocolate cake is aMAZZING!"

Don't go if you aren't interested. Stay home. Then you only have to fend off the occassional girl scout trying to sell you something.

But tread lightly

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSwFVBpxeEQVw3kiXRX3LwnATYYosgkbACvcffXrPiyClmw6L09

The girl scouts never offer to sell me anything. :sad:
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    Options
    d715fb57-2f55-45ce-94cf-1c0dbf000c40.jpg
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    So, here I am, inside a Starbucks. Just flipped open the laptop to enter food/exercise details, and made a conscious choice to NOT HAVE a Venti Mocha with Whipped Cream. So far, so good. However, withing ten minutes the kindly staff are doing the rounds, handing out free samples of some divine creation.

The funny thing: whenever a person suggests they'd better not, the reply is always, "come on, one won't do you any harm". Always makes me laugh.

This has obviously been touched on before. Simply reminds of just how much is pushed our way... even when we go out of our way to avoid it in the first place.

FIFY.

And BTW, WTF are you doing in a Starbucks anyways if you don't want the good good sweet and nasty gushy stuff?

Oh and BTotherW. Don't come to my house for my free wifi because there WILL be offers of chocolate. Today's selections include but are not limited to chocolate covered peanut butter filled pretzels, fun size snickers, fun size hersheys, fundraiser milk chocolate bar and one with almonds, chocolate milk, mint chocolate sticks from nordstrom, coffee with cocoa and chili powder, coconut milk based chocolate "ice cream", actual chocolate ice cream from dryers, chocolate chip cookies, and gihirardelli sea salt dark chocolate with almonds. I say not limited to because there can oftentimes be a "chocolate run" at any time.

We reserve the right to serve any kind of chocolate to anyone.

--60000--35446_product_1046688008_thumb_large.jpg
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Three magic words I have learned to use: "no, thank you".

Ditto.

If they continue to press the issue, it usually goes something like this:

Them: Are you sure? It's really good and isn't that fattening.
    Me: I'm sure, but thanks.
    Them: Why?
    Me: I don't think it'll fit in my calories today
    Them: Come on, you're wasting away
    Me: Nah, I'm almost at my goal and am eating pretty well
    Them: Okay, but you're missing out
    Me: *shrug*

After several conversations similar to the above, people have usually just stopped bugging me at "no thank you!"

ETA: The Girl Scout picture above made me chuckle.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    So, here I am, inside a Starbucks. Just flipped open the laptop to enter food/exercise details, and made a conscious choice to NOT HAVE a Venti Mocha with Whipped Cream. So far, so good. However, withing ten minutes the kindly staff are doing the rounds, handing out free samples of some divine creation.

FIFY.

And BTW, WTF are you doing in a Starbucks anyways if you don't want the good good sweet and nasty gushy stuff?

For the free wi-fi
  • dirty_dirty_eater
    dirty_dirty_eater Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    If you can't resist temptation, the only thing left to do is to avoid it.

Stay out of Starbucks if you haven't got the stones to say no.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Well, one will NOT kill you. But it seems you are worried that taking the free sample will make your willpower crumble, so I understand not wanting to risk it.

However, you are in a business, using their facilities for free. They offer those free facilities with the understanding that you will buy something. I find it rather rude that you would go there to use them and not patronize their business, even if it is just a small coffee.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options

FIFY.

For the free wi-fi

Sometimes "free" isn't really free after all, eh? Live and learn.