Power Blocks and other Adjustable Dumbells

Options
Does anyone have any experience with adjustable dumbells? Love 'em or hate 'em?

I have a full set of 5's to 60's, and they take up alot of room. I was thinking about downsizing to the powerblocks or something like that to save space and clutter.

Any comments? Your input appreciated.

Replies

• jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    I have powerblocks and they save a lot of space. Wouldn't say I love them, but they do exactly what they're intended to do.
  • callie006
    callie006 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I like the ones I have a lot. They are on long-term loan, and I dread having to give them back. If space weren't an issue, I'd prefer a full set of different weights, but these offer a lot of flexibility with little needed storage. The grips on some lifts can be awkward though, and I can see where someone who had bigger hands might find them annoying.

Edited to add that I have classic Powerblocks.
  • mikemc620
    mikemc620 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I have a set of power block classics that I bought a few years ago. They are working great for me. I have lifted with one of my buddies that has the bowflex ones and while it is nice that they are shaped more like a traditional dumbbell, they are an absolute pain in the @$$ to change the weights. I think that the power blocks got it right and they are so simple to change (as long as they are placed on a good solid surface). My only complaint is that I need more weight and you aren't able to add onto the classic. I think that some of the newer ones out make that more possible.

TL/DR
    I absolutely love powerblock and hate the bowflex, just need more than the 50 lbs that I have.
  • Bodyfreak135
    Options
    I have a set I do curls and such at home with they are called life smart Dumbbells they go up to 55lbs each and I love them I got them from academy sports and outdoors online for sale at $150 plus tax total cost $168. They are normally $200
  • SoilFoodWeb
    SoilFoodWeb Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    My vote goes to Iron Master, prefer the handles to Power Blocks

http://www.ironmaster.com/Quick-Lock-Dumbbells/#.Un57oCezItU
  • tmuellenberg
    tmuellenberg Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I've had bowflex selecttech's and powerblocks and I would go powerblocks hands down. Bowflex has plastic parts that could break and render them unusable, whereas powerblocks are much more sturdy. I would prefer individual dumbbells like you have over either, but if you really want to downsize I'd go powerblocks.