Dear Gym... Why Must You Make Me So Uncomfortable.

Options
I've gone to the gym and weight trained on and off for almost 10 years. 99% of that was with my mom, and a trainer. We always enjoyed the social aspect of it, and it was a really fun thing to do with my madre. Plus, we didn't have to put thought into a routine and couldn't stop after 6 lunges because, well.... lunges suck.

My mom and I have come to a crossroads with our exercise preferences. She leans more towards pilates and yoga... and I am more interested in lifting. I want to branch off and create my own gym routine. BUT, even though I've had a trainer forever.... I'm really uncomfortable in creating my own routine, I've never had to think about it. I have NROLFW and have read 5x5.... but honestly I'm not sure which way to go. And NROLFW is kind of confusing?

And to top it off, I'm kinda out of shape these days. I just moved states, and my new gym is MASSIVE and amazing- but I swear it's full of legit bodybuilders and strippers. And....... then there's my tall self looking like a dork. I know, I know. Who cares. But honestly, it's uncomfortable. The gym has been social forever, I've never done it alone.

Any advise of building a routine/getting over looking like the tall standout dork amongst the sea of beautiful people/ect. Thanks :-)

Replies

• pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    I like Stronglifts, it's simple and to the point.

As for feeling comfortable at the gym, I lift at home so can't help ya there.

Good luck!
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Programming is difficult unless you really know what you are doing, what your goals are and how the structure of your programme aligns with those goals. There are a myriad of well established programmes such as NROLFW, Starting Strength, Beyond Brawn, Stronglifts etc that you could try. When you max out your progression on those consider creating your own.

As for fitting in - that is largely psychological. I have been using weights room and gyms for a long *kitten* time and they are by and large friendly places. Just hold your head high, be polite and act as if you would do in any other social setting. That will make you as good as anyone else in there. Yes, there will be some idiots but they are a tiny minority.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    me no like thinkn either. good luck. ask the strippers at the gym for advice.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    I second stronglifts. It is an amazing program and simple enough that you would completely love it.

As for uncomfortable, no need. The bodybuilders are some of the nicest guys out there. You can spot a *kitten* miles away. Also, the discomfort will go away real soon once you start. Pretty soon you will know the regulars and they will know you and you would feel at ease.

Good luck in your adventures :)
  • ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    Options
    Maybe your new gym offers an introduction program? Like maybe you can sign up for a few sessions with a trainer that can show you around and give you a starting point on a program.
  • SkinnyFatAlbert
    SkinnyFatAlbert Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I swear it's full of legit bodybuilders and strippers

Hint: These people are more interested in staring at themselves. That's why they've invested that much time in to looking that way.
  • kairisika
    kairisika Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I second ShibaEars

If you found the trainer really effective, see if you can get a trainer for one or two sessions. Have the trainer familiarize you with anything you don't recognise at the shiny new gym, and have them put together a program for you.

If you want, sign up for one more session 6 weeks down the road for a progress goal.
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    5x5 is a favorite of mine. I have even tried other programs and always find myself going back to 5x5. As far as the comfort thing just plug in some tunes and start lifting. I personally get in a zone and have tunnel vision once I start working out. Not sure if it is from my pre-workout supp or what but I just get really focused when I start lifting.
  • Adw7677
    Adw7677 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Once you dive in, it's much MUCH easier. Everybody there is hyperfocused on themselves, they aren't paying any attention to you. As someone else said, you can spot the *kitten* a mile away.

If you aren't locked into a contract, see if there's a smaller gym in your area. I use the fitness center at the county Parks and Recreation building. I didn't even know that was an option until a few years ago. I had an urge to go check out "that cool-looking building" and found a tiny gym inside! It's full of fat people like me, older people, normal people, and just the occasional *kitten*. I used a note app on my phone to take down the names of the machines and then researched them on YouTube.

Now I'm so focused on what I'm doing, I don't even think about whether anybody else is paying attention to me.

Good luck! And most of all, be consistent and have fun!
  • Adw7677
    Adw7677 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    it's full of legit bodybuilders and strippers.

You're legit too! Don't sell yourself short.

I went to look at protein powders a few weeks ago and the sales lady was like, "You'll like this line. It comes in pretty pink bottles." Ugh!
  • SarahMakePretty
    SarahMakePretty Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I really appreciate the responses. I think I will look into 5x5 again. And maybe try early AM when no one is there.... lol.