I keep going way over on protein, what do I do?

Options
Everyday when I finish logging my food I am always like 30 over on proteins and less on everything else. What will be the effect of that? :tongue:

Replies

• ehorner1976
    ehorner1976 Posts: 147
    Options
    Everyday when I finish logging my food I am always like 30 over on proteins and less on everything else. What will be the effect of that? :tongue:
  • MrsTomy
    MrsTomy Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    building muscle! If you workout you may need the extra protein! if you are going to go over on anything protein is the best.
  • jackarin
    jackarin Posts: 18
    Options
    it is funny cause i was wondering about that very same thing!
  • ehorner1976
    Options
    Thanks, I have been walking not really "working out". But a huge improvement over sitting on my butt all day. Thanks Ali!!!!!
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    30 over what? how much protein are you alotted a day? That sounds like a lot to go over. It's not a problem for a day or 3 but if that is consistant, you need to cut down your protein intake, it can have side effects in the long run. Not saying you have to stay at what MFP gives you, but you shouldn't really go over it by more then 5 or 10% consistantly.
  • beep
    beep Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    You can probably adjust your profile to reflect a higher protein intake without it looking like a penalty. B
  • Helawat
    Helawat Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    If you go over too much in protein, your body stores it as fat. Here's what happens when you eat protein:

* It is broken down into building blocks known as peptides.
    * Then, it is further broken down and it becomes amino acids.
    * The amino acids are absorbed through the small intestine's lining and enter the blood stream.
    * From here, some of the amino acids build the body's protein stores.
    * Excess amino acids are excreted, and any protein that it built in excess is stored as body fat.

This is such a simple concept, but many people still believe that consuming lots and lots of protein will put muscle on their bones. Don't be fooled by this notion! Even excess protein turns to fat.

Source:
    http://www.inch-aweigh.com/foodtofat.html
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    Isn't it also really hard on your kidneys? Cut back on the protein unless your doctor tells you that you need that much.
  • ehorner1976
    Options
    30 over what? how much protein are you alotted a day? That sounds like a lot to go over. It's not a problem for a day or 3 but if that is consistant, you need to cut down your protein intake, it can have side effects in the long run. Not saying you have to stay at what MFP gives you, but you shouldn't really go over it by more then 5 or 10% consistantly.

I was allotted 52 today and I went over only 17. I eat a lot of chicken pretty much every meal. 52 protein just doesn't seem like that much. I have 24 almonds about everyday that alone has 6g. I really don't know how I would cut it back and still get enough calories for the day.
  • Healthier_Me
    Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Protein overload
    Consuming protein beyond amounts the body requires (e.g., 46 to 56 grams per day for most adults) provides no additional health benefits. Any excess protein in the diet is removed from the body through urine and stool or is converted into fat. Eating more protein will not increase muscle development.

Excessive amounts of protein have been associated with a number of health problems, including:

Heart disease. Homocysteine is produced during the processing of the amino acid methionine. Homocysteine may play a role in the development of atherosclerosis, the narrowing of blood vessels that is a major risk factor for heart disease, heart attack, and stroke. Furthermore, many protein sources are also high in fats, especially saturated fats. This can also increase the risk of developing atherosclerosis.

Osteoporosis. The body’s breakdown of proteins may release potentially harmful byproducts, and the body uses calcium and other substances to neutralize these byproducts. However, calcium used for this purpose is no longer available to increase bone density. In addition, if there is not enough calcium in the diet, the mineral may be pulled directly from the bone during protein digestion. This weakens the bone and increases the risk of osteoporosis.

Protein may need to be restricted in patients with certain medical conditions, such as liver or kidney disease. Processing large amounts of proteins and amino acids can become stressful for a diseased liver or kidneys. If these organs do not efficiently process these substances, a byproduct called urea may build up in the kidneys, blood or elsewhere. This can lead to kidney stones, uremic poisoning and possibly gout. Because of this, patients with liver or kidney disease often need to limit their intake of protein. A physician and dietitian can suggest ways to get adequate protein without stressing an impaired liver or kidneys.

Some popular diets recommend consumption of high amounts of protein and low amounts of carbohydrates. Studies have shown that these diets may provide greater immediate weight loss than diets low in fat and high in carbohydrates, but the results even out over time. Highly restrictive diets like these may be difficult for many people to maintain, resulting in a rebound of weight after the diet has been deserted. In addition to the health concerns regarding high protein intake, there are also concerns regarding a low intake of carbohydrates, especially since many important nutrients come from carbohydrate-rich foods. For more information, see Carbohydrate Limiting Diets.

http://www.healthylivingonline.com/library/articlesNew/proteins5.cfm

~Joanna:flowerforyou: