Opinion on my fitness plan.

Options
Hi I'm new here so I'm not sure if this is in the right section or not but here goes..
I'm an 18 year old guy and I've been large for as long as I remember. I think I've definitely slimmed down over the past few years but I still weigh 230 pounds, I'm 5ft 9 inches tall and were size 38 inch pants. I'm finally going to do something about it.
I've started using MFP everyday counting my calories and limiting myself to 2000 calories a day, I normally have one or two whey protein shakes a day (with water/milk) and I've started exercising every Tuesday,Friday, and Sunday.
I have it on a cycle so Tuesday I will do 25 mins cycling at a moderate resistance and speed, then 50 squats/arm curls ( both with kettle bell) and 50 push-ups. Then on a Friday I would do 25 minutes cycling at a moderate resistance and speed, then I will do a 20 minute kettle bell workout with a range of activities like 20 squats. 20 'fist pumps wIth the kettle bell etc.
I'm just wondering do you think this sounds like a good plan for weight loss? I'm not looking to drop a crazy amount all at once, maybe 1-3 pounds a week.

Does this sound okay? Any advice/suggestions?
Many thanks! :)

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Your calorie budget sounds reasonable and you've started a nice routine. Weight loss is 90% diet so watch your food and use your exercise to be fit.
  • kieran9810
    kieran9810 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • GradatimFerociter
    GradatimFerociter Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I find doing curls with my KB so awkward - how heavy is yours?

But yes any exercise will help. What you should do is monitor your progress doing this for a few weeks and then adjust what you are doing to reflect the results. You are missing a trick by not doing snatches though, snatches are fun.

You also want to aim for some sort of progression be that weight, exercise type or simply doing more reps :)
  • kieran9810
    kieran9810 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Yes I'm currently using 5kg, I have a 10kg for when I feel ready to move up to a heavier weight, but at the minute I'm more focused on getting in the routine of exercise and healthy eating. I will incorporate snatches into my routine too. My main goal right now is to stay focused on my plan and then increase exercise as I start to feel it becoming easier.
    Thanks for the advice!