QUESTION

So I weighed myself when I got home today....bad time to, I know. I am 4lbs heavier than this morning. I know it's not possible. Question is, I didn't eat the best today either, I am very hungry right now!!!! I'm afraid to eat! I know it's all in my head, but what is happening? I've been struggling for several months and have lost no weight, and have gained!

Replies

• _KitKat_
    _KitKat_ Posts: 1,066 Member
    The fluctuation in one day, i wouldn't worry about, it could be water weight. I weigh daily (normally) and it moves up and down depending on time of day and what not. The lack of weight loss over a few months, I am not knowledgeable enough to advise, sorry.
  • Brandolin11
    Brandolin11 Posts: 492 Member
    The only way we can help you is by turning the question around to you. :)

In other words, "What is happening, djwife03?"

I gently issue the challenge to you, that you know *exactly* why you're not losing and are gaining (wink). You are just not admitting it to yourself.

Let us be your sounding board now - admit it to yourself and to us.

What is happening?
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,487 Member
    Of course you weigh more in the afternoon than in the morning. You have undigested food in your system. water, poop, etc... Eat dinner and quit weighing more than once a day.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    This is exactly why people say to only weigh first thing in the morning. You're carrying extra food, water, and waste right now. It's like getting onto the scale with a big plate of food in your hands. Ignore it!
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    You didn't gain 4 lbs of fat in one day. This is a normal fluctuation. I would urge you to only weigh yourself once a week, first thing in the morning. Try to focus on improving your health and strength, rather than a number on the scale.
  • Brandolin11
    Brandolin11 Posts: 492 Member
    I think she's probably got the picture now that the 4 lbs is nothing to worry about.

Let's dig deeper! djwife.... why aren't you losing weight? Let's figure it out. It's not a mystery - there is ALWAYS a reason... We just need you to dig deep and be honest with yourself and tell us what's going on.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Just eat your calorie goal for the day (or a little less if you just aren't hungry on any day). That's basically it, lol. ;)
  • Please understand I am saying this in kindness and with support for you to reach your goals! I've looked through your diary. I recommend weighing absolutely everything on a digital scale in grams (not ounces.) Forget measuring with measuring cups. I assure you, I could pack food in those but log it as the size it is. I use a scale so I don't cheat myself. Eating fewer calories than your body needs=weight loss. The 4 pounds is more than likely because what you ate today was high in sodium. I weigh daily and expect to see it go up. It gives me motivation to keep going! I also suggest lifting and intermitent fasting if you have no health reasons, not excuses, not to. Just remember, you can do it!
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    I think she's probably got the picture now that the 4 lbs is nothing to worry about.

Let's dig deeper! djwife.... why aren't you losing weight? Let's figure it out. It's not a mystery - there is ALWAYS a reason... We just need you to dig deep and be honest with yourself and tell us what's going on.

You are slightly terrifying.
  • janer4jc
    janer4jc Posts: 238 Member
    The only way we can help you is by turning the question around to you. :)

In other words, "What is happening, djwife03?"

I gently issue the challenge to you, that you know *exactly* why you're not losing and are gaining (wink). You are just not admitting it to yourself.

Let us be your sounding board now - admit it to yourself and to us.

What is happening?

Very insightful. Thanks.

And there is a lot of wisdom here. Our weight fluctuates throughout the day. Be consistent in when you weigh yourself and concern yourself more with your overall health than with one number in particular.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Are you weighing your food on a digital food scale? this is very important.

Most of the time people are underestimating what they eat, OR overestimating their calorie burns from exercise.

and quit weighing yourself too much, like others said:flowerforyou:
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Are you weighing your food on a digital food scale? this is very important.

Most of the time people are underestimating what they eat, OR overestimating their calorie burns from exercise.

This is true. You also have to be very diligent about logging everything.
  • djwife03
    djwife03 Posts: 333 Member
    Well geez! I AM being honest! I mean I said I didn't eat smart today! I haven't been doing the best at that, but I DO exercise at least 4 days a week. I wouldn't be here if I wasn't being honest! I mean if I was lying that wouldn't help me now would it?!! As I said, I've been struggling for several months! Eating healthy, lots of fruit, veggies. I drank a ton of water today. There are several people on these threads that are making the effort and don't understand what is going on or what else they should try. I am no different.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Oh, I just meant about what to do about eating tonight :)

Let's see, what are your stats? And is the exercise new? How much weight have you gained over what time period?

And one more, sorry! Do you take your measurements? How are they doing?
  • ShapenerFiterrati
    ShapenerFiterrati Posts: 111 Member
    Alright here:

1. When you weigh, you must have emptied your bladder, NOT eaten (first thing in morning is best), and naked. Also, don't weigh after exercising. You'd be surprised that these little things can add a few pounds to your scale.

2. Sometimes, (if ur working out), the weight may stay the same. That doesn't always mean ur fat is still there (although it could be), it may be that muscle is taking place. So, while your body may become more toned, your weight will stay the same. That's why calculating %fat and taking measurements is important :)

Good luck dear <3
  • ShapenerFiterrati

Also, this ^^^^ You may be under your cals but not with the right food. So try to see what you're eating, how much you exercise, and balance it all out. Hopefully you'll fix ur issue- good luck!!
  • _KitKat_
    _KitKat_ Posts: 1,066 Member
    Well geez! I AM being honest! I mean I said I didn't eat smart today! I haven't been doing the best at that, but I DO exercise at least 4 days a week. I wouldn't be here if I wasn't being honest! I mean if I was lying that wouldn't help me now would it?!! As I said, I've been struggling for several months! Eating healthy, lots of fruit, veggies. I drank a ton of water today. There are several people on these threads that are making the effort and don't understand what is going on or what else they should try. I am no different.

I don't think anyone meant harm. I did look through your diary and you do not seem to log daily so its hard to tell what may be the issue. Plus I was a little amazed that you never go into the red. I applaud you because even some of my strictest (diet) friends go over at times.
  • ShapenerFiterrati

As long as you're honest you can fix anything- and you know that best. I believe you and you believe in ur self too- we all have our downfalls in this journey.
  • TheDarlingOne
    TheDarlingOne Posts: 255 Member
    your initial posting is exactly why I changed to only weighing in 1x a month.
    i have a family member hide the scale til the 1st of each month.
    and each month since - the weigh ins have been successful.
    i was weighting in 2x a day - 1st when i wakeup and 2nd before bed. the p.m. weigh in would be so discouraging and i'd just use it as an excuse to eat bad the next day.

try 1x a month maybe it'll help? :)
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Of course you weigh more in the afternoon than in the morning. You have undigested food in your system. water, poop, etc... Eat dinner and quit weighing more than once a day.

^^^