has anyone continued to lose weight while eating white rice?

Options

Replies

• wiscck
    wiscck Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Yes. I lived in Asia for too long to cut out rice. Jasmine rice is a staple of my diet.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    NO
  • chelseascounter
    chelseascounter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Yesss. I eat both.
  • Bobbie8786
    Bobbie8786 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Yes, white rice, white noodles, potatoes. It's all about calories. Oh yeah, and beer, tequila, wine.
  • keithmustloseweight
    Options
    r u srs.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    I ate white rice with my fish tonight. I ate it in jambalaya earlier this week and I eat cream of rice cereal from time to time. (Oh and all of my bread is rice based, but not necessarily white. I have celiac.) As of Wednesday I had lost 23.5 pounds...that's the very long way to say yes to your question. I buy both brown and white and don't care much which I am eating.
    There are some concerns in the celiac community about the amount of arsenic in some rice, but I personally think the FDA does a pretty good job at monitoring those things so I don't worry much about it. If you do worry about it, California rice is supposed to have less than Louisiana rice.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    I eat white rice all the time.

As far as brown rice being "better" I will just quote Alan Aragon.
    White rice actually has an equal or better nutritional yield & also has a better nitrogen-retentive effect than brown rice. This is because the fiber & phytate content of brown rice act as antinutrients, reducing the bioavailability of the micronutrients it contains. Since no one is reading the fricking link, I'll just lay things out here:

Comparison of the nutritional value between brown rice and white rice

Callegaro Mda D, Tirapegui J. Arq Gastroenterol. 1996 Oct-Dec;33(4):225-31.

Cereals are considered an important source of nutrients both in human and animal nourishment. In this paper nutritional value of brown rice is compared to that of white rice in relation to nutrients. Results show that despite higher nutrients contents of brown rice compared to white rice, experimental data does not provide evidence that the brown rice diet is better than the diet based on white rice. Possible antinutritional factors present in brown rice have adverse effects on bioavailability of this cereal nutrients.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9302338

Effects of brown rice on apparent digestibility and balance of nutrients in young men on low protein diets

J Nutr Sci Vitaminol (Tokyo). 1987 Jun;33(3):207-18. .Miyoshi H, Okuda T, Okuda K, Koishi H.

The effect of brown rice with low protein intake was studied in five healthy young men. Feces were weighed, the digestibility of nutrients was determined, and blood tests were made. Each subject followed a diet consisting mainly of polished rice for 14 days and one consisting mainly of brown rice for 8 days. Both diets contained 0.5 g protein per kg of body weight. The brown rice diet had 3 times as much dietary fiber as the polished rice diet. On the brown rice diet, fecal weight increased, and apparent digestibility of energy, protein, and fat decreased, as did the absorption rates of Na, K, and P. The nitrogen balance was negative on both diets, but more negative on the brown rice diet. The phosphorus balance on the brown rice diet was significantly negative, but other minerals were not affected by the diet. The levels of cholesterol and minerals in the plasma were not significantly different on the polished rice diet and the brown rice diet. Comparing these results with data on standard protein intake (Miyoshi, H. et al (1986) J. Nutr. Sci. Vitaminol., 32, 581-589.), we concluded that brown rice reduced protein digestibility and nitrogen balance.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2822877
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    you can literally eat whatever you want and lose weight, just pay attention to portion size and the amount of calorie you're eating in a day. Obviously you get to eat a lot more of some foods than others for the same calorie amount, but there's no reason to quit eating white rice if that's what you prefer.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    I personally prefer brown rice but as long as you count it into your calories it should be ok. But as others have said, the unprocessed brown rice will have more nutrients.

That is true, but the amount of nutrient increase in brown rice is so minimal, that no one needs to feel guilty over eating white rice, especially since the calories are the same.
  • TArnold2012
    TArnold2012 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    Yes, but only 120 lbs so far :blushing:
  • angex3333
    angex3333 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Yes definitely!! I love Jasmine rice but I do ensure my portion size is weighed. I also have sushi. I love rice!!!
  • rileyhunter169
    Options
    There's absolutely no reason why you can't lose weight while eating white rice. It mostly gets a bad rap due to the "low carb talibans" claiming insulin will magically impede fat loss despite being in caloric deficit. This is actually partially true as insulin does down regulate some of the catabolic processes in your body; however this won't make any difference as it's just a way to get carbs and amino acids into your cell and once that's over, your back to burning carbs. Basically, insulin and energy balance is complicated enough to have a semester class on it, but in short, it makes calories in vs. calories out viable, that's all you need to know, in fact you can entirely forget the word. However the three thing that has been observed in the majority of the literature...
    1) Carbohydrate consumption as a percentage of calories doesn't make a noticeable effect on total daily expenditure.
    2) G.I of one food will not make a huge difference in contexts of a mixed meal. It's almost irrelevant.
    3) They have tested high sugar intakes in fat loss; it does not appear to make a difference in fat loss or even cardiovascular risk.

Though... Hehe... The thing I do warn is that white rice contains almost zero nutrients besides carbs, so if you have room in your calories after vegetables, fruit, protein, fat; go right ahead, though you probably won't have much room if your on less than 2000 calories; but a cup a day is probably fine.

Read more:
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/insulin-levels-and-fat-loss-qa.html
  • jigglyone
    jigglyone Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone
  • LauraBalyk
    LauraBalyk Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Yup ! I have lost 32 pounds so far and I still eat white bread, pasta and rice, the key is moderation :)
  • Bromard6
    Bromard6 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    you can literally eat whatever you want and lose weight, just pay attention to portion size and the amount of calorie you're eating in a day. Obviously you get to eat a lot more of some foods than others for the same calorie amount, but there's no reason to quit eating white rice if that's what you prefer.

Yoda couldn't have said it better. "Eat white rice you can, mmmm."
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    Whilst carbs, sugar and fat do have the monopoly on the 'evil food of the week' title I am strongly campaigning that celery get a turn :happy:

:drinker:

Need a slow clap smiley to put here.

I grew up on brown rice and usually prefer it, as far as flavor (I'm weird, I know). But I love my sushi with the white rice and all. As long as you log it accurately, it's not going to matter.
  • irisheyez718
    irisheyez718 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I don't eat white rice everyday, but if I wanted to, I could. Yes.
  • Nouurann
    Nouurann Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    calories in, calories out. white, brown, purple, rainbow doesn't matter
  • chirosche
    chirosche Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    so my fav type of rice is white, i tried brown and almost gagged. i dont have more than a cup of white rice but ppl say its not good. any advice?

I once was on a diet that any kind of rice was allowed. White rice, brown, jasmine, basmati. Also, you could eat potatoes. But you couldn't eat any gluten, dairy, sugar and kept fat to a minimum. I would eat about 1-1/2 cup of rice a day, more on days I worked out. The weight came off very easily. You could eat a lot of food except those that are restricted of course, but I just don't want to do diets that give me cotton mouth anymore. So I do low carb/high fat and love it. I can enjoy my food and I don't really miss rice and potatoes all that much.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    I rarely eat rice (personal choice), but when I do, it's almost always white. Calories in vs. calories out, my friend.