Burning muscles after training?

Options
I've started using the weight machines this week so still very new to it all.

For example today I warmed up with 20 mins cardio then trained my legs on various machines.
I didn't feel any pain whatsoever just noticed that now 5 hours later my quads are still warm to the touch.
A new feeling for me, was wondering if it's normal and what it is?

Replies

• moto211
    Options
    The warmth is from increased blood flow for a couple reasons:

1. When you exert a muscle, blood flow is increased to it.
    2. When you strength train, your are essentially doing controlled damage to the muscle(s) that you are working. Micro tears of sorts. Your body increases blood flood to the damaged muscle to aid in recovery by carrying additional nutrients and enzymes to the damaged tissue. When it heals it will be stronger and possibly bigger (depending on the technique and intensity of your strength training).

It feels weird at first, but it will fade with time. Just remember to get enough water and protein afterwards. If you find that the hotness and soreness last longer than you would like you can try supplementing with glutamine. It can aid in muscle recovery. No need to buy expensive name brand stuff that is loaded with other mystery stuff, the straight glutamine that can be found at GNC (and maybe normal drug stores) is fine. I use it because I lift every other day and I found that I still had a little more than lingering soreness on the second day out from my previous lift day. Light soreness is OK to lift on and a light lift may actually help. Anything more extreme that is painful to touch or limits movement should be given rest until it lightens up.

There will come a point when it will be much harder to get that feeling and you will miss how easy it used to be to feel hot and sore.
  • Yeah it's normal. Just an increase in blood and tissue repair. As long as you're eating healthy you don't need anything for recovery. The only supplement that that actually works is creatine.
  • ChrisLindsay9
    ChrisLindsay9 Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I've started using the weight machines this week so still very new to it all.

For example today I warmed up with 20 mins cardio then trained my legs on various machines.
    I didn't feel any pain whatsoever just noticed that now 5 hours later my quads are still warm to the touch.
    A new feeling for me, was wondering if it's normal and what it is?
    Great work! The best way to enhance recovery is hydration, food (including protein), and sleep. Hope you get a good amount of all, and have continued success with continuing your strength training. :)
  • moto211
    Options
    Yeah it's normal. Just an increase in blood and tissue repair. As long as you're eating healthy you don't need anything for recovery. The only supplement that that actually works is creatine.

I don't want to derail this thread into a "who takes what supplement" thread. The only reason I mentioned a supplement at all was because I have had a good experience with it in helping to avoid excessive soreness so I can maintain my lift schedule. But, I am curious how you can make such a definitive statement that "the only supplement that actually works is creatine". That may be the only supplement that works for you but plenty of people have had good results with others (and even more have good results without supplements at all). It all comes down to what works for each individual. I was just sharing what works for me. It's always best to have a go unsupplemented first and do the proper hydration, nutrition, and sleep thing.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    Totally normal :smile: A hot bath in Epsom salts works wonders!