Oh, that ended poorly.

Options
Yesterday I got home to an empty house, pinged my wife's iPhone to see she was still 2 hours away visiting friends and thought "Hot Damn, time for a run!"
I strapped on the shoes, booted up Endomondo, stuffed the iPhone in my pocket and I was GONE! Out the door for a nice 6-7 mile run...

6 miles became 7...
7 became 8...I was feeling fantastic.
8 became 9... and I started to fade.
9 became 10.... and I hit the wall.

....1.5 miles from home.

I finally staggered back in the door 1 hour and 25 minutes and 11.5 miles later feeling.... let's say... Not awesome.

It only took me a few seconds to realize why...I left out the door 3 hours after lunch, and with a total calorie intake of about 750 for the day.

According to my HRM, I burned 1600 calories.

I managed to get a banana and nutella sandwich down, plus some milk and laid on the couch for almost an hour.

The whole rest of the evening I was a bottomless pit. Leftover pizza, chicken/bacon/cheddar pita,beef stew, chocolate creme pie, popcorn......I managed to eat about 1500 calories before I was so full I was sick, but still left 1150 calories on the table.

I have never in my life planned my energy needs that poorly. Valuable lesson learned from that little deal yesterday.

Just thought I'd share. I think I might start carrying a gel or some candy (a few starbursts?) in my flip-belt in case I get stupid again someday.

Replies

• Cairine63
    Cairine63 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I know the moral of the story is not to run on empty, but when you got that good run feelin' going on it is hard to turn right towards home when going left will allow the awesomeness of the run to last longer... until of course you hit the wall!!!
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I got home to an empty house, pinged my wife's iPhone to see she was still 2 hours away visiting friends and thought "Hot Damn, time for a run!"
    I strapped on the shoes, booted up Endomondo, stuffed the iPhone in my pocket and I was GONE! Out the door for a nice 6-7 mile run...

6 miles became 7...

....1.5 miles from home.

I finally staggered back in the door 1 hour and 25 minutes and 11.5 miles later feeling.... let's say... Not awesome.

It only took me a few seconds to realize why...I left out the door 3 hours after lunch, and with a total calorie intake of about 750 for the day.

I managed to get a banana and nutella sandwich down, plus some milk and laid on the couch for almost an hour.

The whole rest of the evening I was a bottomless pit. Leftover pizza, chicken/bacon/cheddar pita,beef stew, chocolate creme pie, popcorn......I managed to eat about 1500 calories before I was so full I was sick, but still left 1150 calories on the table.

I have never in my life planned my energy needs that poorly. Valuable lesson learned from that little deal yesterday.

Just thought I'd share. I think I might start carrying a gel or some candy (a few starbursts?) in my flip-belt in case I get stupid again someday.

There has to have been a Taco Bell or donut shop less than 1.5 miles from where you hit the wall, right? Why didn't you go there?? ;)

Good story though. Good idea carrying some Gu or something to help you out should that happen again.
  • bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I have an emergency $10 in my running clothes at all times. It has been used for multiple things (including a taxi). I also have a pack of gu chomps in there. I think they may be out of date by now, but if i was feeling crappy enough i'd just pull off the fuzz and eat them! It's good to have a back up plan.
  • RunBrew
    RunBrew Posts: 220 Member
    Options

There has to have been a Taco Bell or donut shop less than 1.5 miles from where you hit the wall, right? Why didn't you go there?? ;)

No quiero Taco Bell.
    Also, no dinero. :laugh:

Also also, I live in a rural part of Colorado and ran within line of sight of zero places that serve food.
    I do have the Starbuck's passport card on my iPhone, but found the only 11 miles in America without one on a corner.
  • SamMorBelsmom
    SamMorBelsmom Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I didn't run nearly as far as you did but I went off my normal route, and it was so pretty, just at that time in the morning where the light reflects off the dew. I just kept going, and completely forgot about the return run. Needless to say, by the time I remembered to turn around and start home, I was 2 miles away and hit my wall a half mile later. Long *kitten* trot home...
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,015 Member
    Options
    And the lesson has been learned.

orangenewblack.gif
  • NRSPAM
    NRSPAM Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    ^^^Lol....lesson learned. ;)
  • EmilyEmpowered
    EmilyEmpowered Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I did something similair and ended up lost! So not only was I exhausted, I was 3 miles from home and LOST! LOL I had to call a friend to try to find me, which resulted in my walking around trying to give her a landmark.... It was just such a beautiful neighborhood, full of gorgeous old, big homes and I was lost in a dream where I could afford one :laugh:

ETA: this was when I first moved to my current neighborhood, I can now run around and daydream and still find my way home... Plus mapmyrun helps, too! LOL
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Also also, I live in a rural part of Colorado and ran within line of sight of zero places that serve food.
    I do have the Starbuck's passport card on my iPhone, but found the only 11 miles in America without one on a corner.

Well. There's your problem right there.
  • sloane70
    sloane70 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    While I am not a runner (damn physical issues) I swear this is exactly why I keep a protein bar in my gym bag. I get on the recumbent bike and around 30 minutes in, suddenly I feel like OMG I CAN BIKE ALL DAY LONG AND I WILL!! and then, once I'm done, I have about 20 minutes before my body goes kablooey. I also usually just do a protein shake before I hit the gym in the AM so it's necessary for me to back it up with more.
  • jturnerx
    jturnerx Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I remember crashing and burning badly on a planned 14 mile run. I'd done longer runs before so the distance wasn't anything new to me. A couple of miles from my house I started feeling a little weird but pressed on. Then a mile away that was it. I couldn't run anymore. I didn't feel bad and I didn't even feel especially tired but when I'd try to run there was just nothing there. I couldn't sustain more than a few feeble steps. My muscles just weren't firing. That was the one and only time that's happened to me. I always make sure to carry either some money or nutrition now. That would not have been fun to experience a long way from home.
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    This is why I carry snacks. And my bank card. And my train pass when I go out for a run. And any run I do over 10 miles ends at the Twin Donut. I try to do fasted runs in the morning, but for afternoon or evening runs I make sure I can eat all the food if need be.
  • aimforhealthy
    aimforhealthy Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    This is seriously my worst fear running :laugh: What I do to avoid anything like that happening is that I decide to run a specific amount of time, say, 40 minutes, with the understanding that I'll be warming up and cooling down 5 minutes apiece. So I set my timer for 25 minutes and when it goes off... it's time to turn around and go back! I get home just as time's up.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    2 hours with the house all to myself? Hmmm?
  • QuincyChick
    QuincyChick Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    And the lesson has been learned.

orangenewblack.gif

Best .gif ever!

I always carry $10 with me whenI go out on a long run, just in case.
  • janer4jc
    janer4jc Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    When I bike I always take a banana and half of a peanut butter sandwich. GU is a good light weight option for running. There are no stores where I ride so I've got to be prepared.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    This sucks. I want to be able to stuff myself silly and still leave 1150 calories on the table. Minus the 11.5 mile run, of course
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options

6 miles became 7...

....1.5 miles from home.

So are you saying you need to consume the amount of calories prior to the run? I haven't ever done that, I typically run in the morning after breakfast (250-300 cals). I have done multiple 10+ mile runs. On a race day I only eat a small breakfast. I guess I've ft my energy has been fine most days. Yes I get tired after a long run but it's hard work.
  • RunBrew
    RunBrew Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    So are you saying you need to consume the amount of calories prior to the run? I haven't ever done that, I typically run in the morning after breakfast (250-300 cals). I have done multiple 10+ mile runs. On a race day I only eat a small breakfast. I guess I've ft my energy has been fine most days. Yes I get tired after a long run but it's hard work.

Not specifically. Trying to pre-eat 1500 calories would make for a very unpleasant run, indeed.

I'm really poking fun at myself for eating a 300-odd calorie Breakfast, a 350-ish calorie lunch, and about the time I should be eating a little snack, I instead got overly excited at the prospect of a long guilt-free run on a perfect fall afternoon and burned 1500 calories, going 750 in the hole from my entire daily (non-exercise) goal of 1950.

The whole thing could have been avoided with a small snack 30-45 mins before I ran, or a small snack about one hour into my run.....or of course, simply limiting my run to 45-50 minutes.

It wasn't the calories, it was that I hadn't eaten for 3 hours prior to starting, and I was running at pretty close to my HM race-pace of 7:30/mile.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Oops. :ohwell:

I wouldn't have gotten as far as you did! If I haven't had a little something about 30 minutes to an hour before a run (a snack, not a full meal cuz that would be just as bad) I run out of gas quickly.