BMR / Calories Burned / Am I getting this right?

Options
13»

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    loneafflictio:

The biggest problem I'm going to run into is eating enough calories. I feel like I'm constantly stuffing my face at my current calorie count as it already is.

I'd like to see your diary to see what 'stuffing your face' looks like on low calories, I do not stuff myself and I can hardly stick to my allotted 1600 calories, I would be happier if I could eat at 2000 every day but until I reach goal (just a few pounds away) then 1600 it has to be.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    I haven't read thru everything but... How long have you been at this, eating at the 1270 (or thereabouts) range and doing several weekly workouts? If less than a few weeks, it may simply be too soon to judge whether or not you're making progress.

As to your weighins, were they consistent? As in same scale, in the same place, same state of dress, same time of day, etc.? If not - then your before and now are inconsistent and could be part of the problem.

Some say you must eat at/above your BMR. I don't know that there is science to that - but you certainly want to eat enough to fuel your body. Its necessary for long term health & wellbeing. I have not looked at your food diary, but some ways to increase your calorie intake: snack on nuts, use olive oil while cooking, use reduced fat options instead of no-fat options.

You do want to count your calories in as accurately as possible. When eating out, if at a place that does not provide nutritional info: ask questions. Such as 'how many ounces is the salmon'? Whether its 6 or 8 makes a difference, and is not something you can tell by looking at it on your plate. Leaving off butters, creamy sauces, etc. is a good start - as you've mentioned.

Overall, I'm guessing you need to tighten up on your logging & give it more time. As to burn estimates - cardio machines tend to overestimate. Especially if you don't have the option of entering your info. Burning 300 calories in 20 minutes is unlikely but not impossible - but as you've stated if you're eating 1270 that should not matter. One thing though - it certainly sounds like you are NOT sedentary. So changing your setting to lightly active and 1.5 pounds per week would give you a more reasonable goal. From there, choose whether or not you feel the need to eat back your exercise calories since you'll already have a higher base calorie goal.