Betting as means of motivation

Options
Do you ever use betting to motivate yourself?
I heard about some nice bets at workplaces regarding weight loss. I have proposed that to few of my coworkers to bet certain amount (approx 10-20% of montly wage) and at the end of 6 months winner takes it all. But they refused :(

However I am betting with my friend on monthly basis. Last month I met my goal and now she has to cook me 3 lunches. If I win this month, she has to iron 20kg of clothes (3 full washing machine loads). :)
If I lose then I will have to iron and I REALLY hate ironing. So there is extra motivation and fun for me.

Replies

• obaker
    obaker Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I didn't like this at first, but that was when I still pretty unsure of myself and how motivated I can be.

I got very close to my goal and hit a bit of a plateau...then I put about 5kg back on...:embarassed:

One of my coworkers decided he needed to lose some weight and started an office competition to motivate himself. There are about 10 of us involved and whoever has lost the greatest % weight by the final weigh-in will receive an ounce of silver from all the other participants. It's been a great motivational tool for me, mainly because I'm pretty stingy with my money but also because I don't like losing. I think I've almost lost every one of those 5kg again :happy: