how to record a gym session cardio/strength

Afternoon. I have recently bought myself a FT7 heart rate monitor that I am wearing to the gym up to 4 times a week. I have a programme at the gym where I am doing a total of about 90 minutes a time. During this time I am doing some cardio and then a mix of exercises comprising of legs, core, arms etc. Most are 3 sets of 15 reps with varying weight limits. I am increasing these as I go. Today I was there for the 90 minutes and was pretty happy that my monitor said that I had burnt 655 calories. Now I am reading that they do not accurately record strength or weight exercises.
Do I only use this for cardio? I have been recording everything under cardio
Thanks for your help

Replies

• janer4jc
    janer4jc Posts: 238 Member
    I've been lifting regularly for the last month and recording as cardio as well. I don't know how accurate the calories used are, but I do know that I've lost a couple of pounds.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Your HRM is set up to be accurate for steady state cardio where your HR is significantly elevated throughout the whole time. It will give over inflated numbers for any kind of strength training. Either only activate it during your cardio sessions or take 50% of the reading for the whole thing.