Sore lower back after deadlifts

Options
My lower back is really sore after deadlifting yesterday. Not sure what to do. I'm in the middle of stage 1 of the NROLFW programme. I'm really enjoying it and don't want to stop but don't want to have a back injury either!!
Maybe I'm doing it wrong. This happen to anyone else?

Replies

• infamousdrew76
    infamousdrew76 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Are you sore?...or are you injured?

Answer that, then let you're body be the judge!
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    There is a difference between muscle soreness (DOMS) and pain caused by injury.

If it is just muscle soreness then you'll be fine in a couple of days - it's just a response to muscles being used which are not used to the exercise. Hot baths or stretching/yoga are helpful to some people.

If you've caused an injury, usually by poor form when performing then lifts, then it could be more serious and should be checked out by a doctor/physio and your form corrected to prevent further damage.

Edited for typo.
  • cingle87
    cingle87 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Agreed with all of the above, if your lower back is sore its is muscle soreness from starting a new routine, even though Ive been lifting for 6 months If i take a week off from working a particular area then even I get sore its normal and usually goes within a day or two.

If its more of an injury sore then get it looked at, many people on this forum have been through lower back problems and its just not worth the risk to keep working with a injured back.
  • smc864
    smc864 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I did deadlifts earlier this week for the first time in about 5 years. My lower back, mid back and traps were all sore, which alarmed me at first. I thought for sure I injured myself. Today the soreness is gone and I feel much better. I would lay off the weights for a couple days and see if it starts to feel better in a day or so. If not I would definitely see a doctor.

On a side note, if you are new to weight lifting I would recommend asking someone (that looks like they know what they are doing) to check your form the next time you deadlift. It is quite easy to injure your lower back while doing it.
  • janer4jc
    janer4jc Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    If it's a new activity, my thought would be muscle soreness. A few weeks ago I swam for a longer than usual amount of time and used hand paddles. The next day I could hardly move my neck. It took a few days for the shoulder muscles to loosen up. I haven't used the paddles since.
  • april1445
    Options
    Make sure you hold the weights close to your legs. If you hold them too far out in front of you, you will feel it in your back when you should feel it in your butt and hamstrings.
  • 89nunu
    89nunu Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Make sure you hold the weights close to your legs. If you hold them too far out in front of you, you will feel it in your back when you should feel it in your butt and hamstrings.

This^
    When I started nrol4w and didn't really know what I was doing I had the same problem. Corrected my form and the pain was gone! Also, foam rollers are amazing to get your back on track after deadlifts!
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    how long after deadlifting did the pain start?
  • CallMeBacon
    CallMeBacon Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Your back shouldn't be sore after deads.. I would ask a trainer to check your form, this is a lift where you can really easily hurt yourself if your form is not good.

You can also tape yourself and post to the eat, train, progress group here on MFP for form critique.

Couple videos to suggest:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Syt7A23YnpA
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MX8jgCFXYTU
  • mdivamuffin
    mdivamuffin Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Thanks a mil for the advice and links to videos everyone.
    I'm really not sure if it's an injury or DOMS. It's so whenever I move but fine when I'm sitting, lying in bed, etc. My thighs and legs are also really sore but the soreness feels different somehow.
    I think I'll take a rest from lifting til Wed then do workout a which involves a squat not a deadlift. Then on Friday try the deadlift again if my back feels better and get someone to check my form or video tape it. I am new to it so I could be doing it wrong, and I don;t want to keep on doing it wrong.
    Thanks again :smile:
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    Having completed NROLFW myself, I know the book doesn't tell you enough about proper form. Please look up "Mark Rippetoe deadlift form" videos on youtube. This will help you immensely.
  • mdivamuffin
    Options
    Thanks Cait. Will have a look.
    Another thing maybe is that I'm not warming up properly! I was warming up by doing 10 mins on elliptical but maybe I need to do some warm up sets. especially for deadlifts and squats.
  • MisterDerpington
    MisterDerpington Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Do you expect it not to be sore from a lift that works it directly?
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    While doing NROLFW, one of the mistakes I was making because I didn't know better was rounding my back. When you lift, make sure to stick out your chest and keep your back as straight and flat as you can. Also, foot placement is important. The bar should start at the middle of your foot and move up in a straight line and never deviate from that straight line. It helps to keep it in that straight up and down line to keep the bar close to your legs as it and your body raises, I even drag it against my legs as I lift it.

If you can, please read "Starting Strength" by Mark Rippetoe. It explains so much about form. But looking up the youtube videos will give you a good start.
  • tawanda6329
    tawanda6329 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    When I used the Smith Machine to do deadlifts, I injured my back. I haven't had any problems since I stopped using it.
  • mdivamuffin
    Options
    I don't even know what a smith machine is so that's definitely not my problem :smile:
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I use the smith machine for inverted rows :p

I am on stage 2 week 2 and I hurt my lower back deadliftng because my body was exhausted (I over do exercise some days) and I let my back round for 1 second and boom sharp back pain. No fun when you are holding a 90 lb fixed barbell that you have to rerack. I am just coming off my week rest from this injury but am terrified of deadlifting now
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Options

^ This, activate your glutes when deadlifting to prevent lower back injuries!