Putting family first

Options
HI,
Well, it seems like I have finally come to the conclusion that I have to start putting myself on the same shelf of importance as I do my children and husband. It seems that I have many many excuses for putting their needs above my own. It is really hard, especially right now with them getting ready to go back to school, sports and all the shopping that needs done to get them ready, I don't seem to have time for me. I know, it's just another excuse. I have to at least take an hour for myself. That is why I am writing this. Today, starts the beginning of this. I weighed in and I brought all the things I need to have a good day to work with me. And even though I have to run my daughter to and from cheerleading practice, and go to open house for my son who is entering High School, I can and will take 1/2 hour to take a walk. (maybe at lunch).
Does anyone else feel the way I do?

Replies

• MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    definately..I dont have children but I help my sister care for her three boys 16,15,4........even if you have to add 30minutes in the morn and thirty min in the eve for walking its well worth it..good luck
  • mattle
    mattle Posts: 14
    Options
    It can be hard to carve out time in the day for yourself. It seems that if you don't push back a little, all your time will be spent by and for others. Try and establish that there is going to be a time period each day set aside for your exercise and let your family know. Everyone deserves some time of their own and when you take that time, and become healthier, you will be more productive and happier for them the rest of the day.
  • Fiedems
    Fiedems Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    The good news is it sounds like your kids are old enough to understand and maybe help with the plan. If they don't already do chores, maybe they can do something to help you gain that 30min. If they do, maybe something can be re worked to allow you.

Don't think of this as being selfish and don't let anybody guilt trip you about this. Remember, you are showing your children that family sticks together and supports ALL it's members. If you still feel guilty make a list that shows all you do to support them, maybe seeing all that you DO will allow you to feel as if you deserve this time for you.

If you aren't healthy you are limiting their future time with you.
  • rslevin
    rslevin Posts: 1
    Options
    I experienced the same challenge, I have 4 children (10, 7, 4 and 6 months). My wife runs her own business. For me it was about establishing a routine, which was very difficult given the demands on my time, so something had to give. What worked? I get up at 05:30, Gym for 06:00, back to the house for 07:15, spend 40 minutes helping my wife getting the children ready for school, then leave for work at 08:00. Now the only person that stops me from training is me. I am following this routine for two years now and it works well.