Jumping hunger

Options
Hello,
There was such a big happiness when this September I was eating 800 calories, though most of them were eaten forcibly, because I was surprised that this low appetite has happened so suddenly and I was scared a little. But after three weeks one day I came back home and I ate just everything and there was still some craving to eat something and so my weight was building up, mood was dropping down. I was thinking "Hey, maybe it's winter, so my body needs fat to keep warm?", but the only thing that I can't understand - how this happened that at first I almost stopped eating at all and now I eat more than 1800 calories/ day everyday, though there was no forced starvation? The most important thing - How can I control this, because I am 5"7' and weight 132lbs? Thanks for responses!

Replies

• FrankiesSaysRelax
    FrankiesSaysRelax Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I'm confused. Whether you're eating 800 calories or 0 calories, you are not properly feeding your body. OF COURSE you would binge, you were hungry! It is completely normal to have an appetite, and 1800 calories is probably a great goal to maintain on. However, I think it's clear you have some issues with food and perhaps seeking professional help is in your best interest.
  • diamier
    diamier Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Though I do pole dance twice a week, my day usually passes by doing sendentary work - sitting at school, walking home and then sitting and doing homework, using computer etc. and as I know, 2000 calories for a human is good when he's active. I know what doctors are saying, but personally, I felt really great when I was weighting 57kg/ 126lbs and just wanted to maintain that weight, but now my real problem is overeating. Though I eat 3 times a day + snacks, when I come home I just feel like I really NEED that food in my mouth, though I am not hungry and then I eat 500-800 calories at one meal... That's the main problem, not my earlier loss of appetite.
  • yvonneseage
    yvonneseage Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Hi. Well if your eating that low, you are starving your body and it's understandable it's kicking back a bit
    132lb is a BMI of 20.68. That is a completely normal healthy weight to be

The 108 goal you mentioned in your profile is a BMI of 16.92 and on http://www.nhs.uk/Tools/Pages/Healthyweightcalculator.aspx is so far underweight that it's off the chart. This is not a healthy place to be

While your trying to starve yourself into an unhealthy place, I don't think you will be able to find a way of starving yourself without hunger eventually catching up with you. Maybe you need to re-evaluate your goals
  • FrankiesSaysRelax
    Options
    Though I do pole dance twice a week, my day usually passes by doing sendentary work - sitting at school, walking home and then sitting and doing homework, using computer etc. and as I know, 2000 calories for a human is good when he's active. I know what doctors are saying, but personally, I felt really great when I was weighting 57kg/ 126lbs and just wanted to maintain that weight, but now my real problem is overeating. Though I eat 3 times a day + snacks, when I come home I just feel like I really NEED that food in my mouth, though I am not hungry and then I eat 500-800 calories at one meal... That's the main problem, not my earlier loss of appetite.

Well, first of all, you don't consistently log your calories. I'm not sure you even know how much you're consuming since you aren't putting it in here every day. Second, there is nothing wrong with eating 500-800 calories at a single meal, I do it all the time and have lost all my weight and maintained for years. Have you calculated your TDEE? You're pretty close to my body type and I I lost on around 1600-1700 calories per day. The key is to eat at your calories consistently. Whether you eat all your calories at one meal or space it out over the day is totally up to you.

What is the quality of your food? I have a hard time staying full and so I have to eat things high in protein and fiber. Are you eating because you're bored? Do homework, take up a hobby or find a good book. You can definitely get down to the 126 lbs, but doing it by not eating isn't the way to do it. Perhaps plan out your day a little differently in terms of food. I eat a light breakfast/lunch because I know I like to have a big dinner. Play around with calorie proportions so you have more to eat at night when you get home and can allow yourself to have the 500-800 calories. I usually eat about 400 calorie breakfast and lunch and then around 1000 calories for after work.
  • diamier
    Options
    Hi. Well if your eating that low, you are starving your body and it's understandable it's kicking back a bit
    132lb is a BMI of 20.68. That is a completely normal healthy weight to be

The 108 goal you mentioned in your profile is a BMI of 16.92..

Hey, sure, I weight that much, because of muscles too, and my goal is to weight 57kg/ 126lbs, as I said earlier. My main point is that my weight is going up in a fat form, though I really don't want it to go up any further and my one meal calorie intake really stresses me, as I feel sleepy and stuffed afterwards. So how should I control this 'Stuffing-food-into-my-body' thing? :)
  • diamier
    Options
    Wow, thank your for your response, FrankiesSaysR! I don't even know what does that TDEE mean, but you really cheered me up and I'm really thinking about looking at it differently. Thank you! :*:) My food today was really bad quality - boiled potatoes, buns and all that stuff... I really should think about eating more protein foods as I've noticed I can go longer without feeling hungry when I eat them. I really appreciate your help, good luck!
  • CrystalFlury
    CrystalFlury Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Diamier,
    I know where you're coming from with the eating/weight thing. I don't know about you, but I'm a big sweets person and that's where my overeating comes in. I noticed when I was first losing I was eating too little, I was scared of losing the progress I'd made at the VERY beginning when I lost 5-10 lbs. I consistently ate below net (and I exercised a lot). I felt like I dug myself a hole when I got to the 140s, high 130s (starting was 180s). I started to get the hunger monster feeling after having lived off 1000-1200 calories. I noticed I was binging on bad foods (mostly sweets) and eating huge meals in the evening. I've been in limbo for the past few months stuck in the mid 130s because of my inconsistencies with food. It wasn't until this last week that I think I realized I CAN get back on track with eating to be fueled (properly) instead of eating out of boredom AND eating MORE. My lunches are now in the 400s, close to 500s, but full of good foods. My weight has finally gone down again and I'm feeling better. I guess my body was craving the good stuff this whole time. Numbers made me nervous at first (cal-wise) but if you're eating the right foods it will do more good to you in the long run than bad.
  • FrankiesSaysRelax
    Options
    Wow, thank your for your response, FrankiesSaysR! I don't even know what does that TDEE mean, but you really cheered me up and I'm really thinking about looking at it differently. Thank you! :*:) My food today was really bad quality - boiled potatoes, buns and all that stuff... I really should think about eating more protein foods as I've noticed I can go longer without feeling hungry when I eat them. I really appreciate your help, good luck!

:)http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

That's the link to calculate your TDEE. You'll want to do the TDEE - 20% since you're trying to lose weight (that number will be calculated for you).
  • yvonneseage
    yvonneseage Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I agree with eating more protein. It really helps me keep in check
    500 calories a meal 3 times a day would be lovely. that's 1500 calories a day which is lovely and healthy
    I know the fight against body fat percentage is hard. It's something I struggle with every day.