Lost weight after a binge last night??

Options
I ate a whole slice of very tasty Russian cake last night (and totally beat myself up about it), and now in the morning I am a good 2 pounds lighter. What happened? Of it helps, I exercised on the treadmill yesterday for 30 minutes, and I did a couple stretches. I'm just curious as to why I LOST weight even though I binged.

Replies

• Sarahnade42x
    Sarahnade42x Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I'm going to creep on this thread for awhile because the same thing happens to me frequently and I'm not sure why. I tend to think it's because I have such a low cal intake that the binge boosts my metabolism a bit, but I'm not 100% satisfied with that answer. Looking forward to everyone's thoughts.
  • hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    Options
    I've experienced this too for a while.
    Not to discourage you, but when I approached others about this they told me weight usually takes around two days to show up on the scale. Usually I always ate less the days after though, so it never went up too much, and so I'm not sure how true that is, but I'm assuming there's some truth to it. The body can be weird and complicated though haha, so try not to beat yourself up but try not to make it a regular thing either, just in case :p
  • guroprincess
    Options
    Weight does not immediately zap onto your body after you eat over your allotted calories. I wouldn't say make it into a habit, but having a little extra every now and again isn't going to completely throw you off the rails to weight loss.

This is the reason I try to look at calories at a weekly level rather than a daily level. If I've been under my goal every day 100 or 200 calories, then eating a little extra on the last day isn't going to cause weight gain.
  • FeelingLessChubby
    FeelingLessChubby Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    When I hear the word "binge", I think of something people do regularly and repeatedly - not a one-off really... so to me, what you did looks like - you had an extra large meal as a one-off.

I'm the same way, and I think that a healthy body is perfectly equipped to handle an occasional dose of extra calories. I don't gain, and often drop weight, after eating something that is well beyond my usual habits.

Sarahnade said she's not entirely happy with the metabolism reason, but that may just be the reason - sometimes a simple explanation is just right.

Obviously, next time it happens, there's no reason to beat yourself up about it :) just don't turn it into a regular thing and you'll be just fine. And I agree with guroprincess about the weekly calories count as well - it's a good way of looking at it as an overall picture.
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    Look up "whoosh". Eating a single high-fat, high-carb item can often result in a loss. Sometimes when the scale hasn't moved for me in a couple of weeks even though my macros are good, I'll eat some ice cream and drop a couple of pounds overnight.