weight training question (hope in right place)

Options
What's the difference in lifting free weights, as oppse to using the weight machines in the gym, or vice versa?

It just seems to me that free weights make sense - and there's about a billion different machines on the gym floor that look like they sort of 'all do the same thing'. I understand picking up a free weight and doing it one way to work your pecks, moving it another way to work your back, another way to work your arms, etc.

Just curious - not sure where to start. I go to LA Fitness - and the free weight area looks intimidating, but so does the weight machine area because I have no idea where to start. Doesn't look very 'in order'.

Thanks! :)

Replies

• stt43
    stt43 Posts: 487
    Options
    Free weights move in any direction, machines only move in one.
    For example, if you are using a chest pressing machine, all your muscles need to worry about are pushing forward. If you were to do the same with free weights (i.e. bench press) you have to worry about stabilising that weight.
    Therefore, with machines you can lift a lot heavier, but with free weights you're using more muscles as well as strengthening tendons etc.
  • clodia2
    Options
    IMHO, free weights are better because you have to focus more on your form and core. With machines, I find your form can suffer. There are a ton of options for free weights, and you can incorporate them into your cardio. Also, don't discount body weight exercises, like pushups and pullups.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Free weights include more of your stabilising muscles because you have to stabilise the weight, and not just move it in one direction through the use of a machine. This will mean that when you get stronger at lifting free weights in translates into real life more efficiently than machines because you've worked several muscles. It also means you get more of a workout :happy:

There will also be less chance of muscle imbalances because of the reasons above.

You will also have less chance of injury. Sometimes the direction the machine moves in, isn't always the most natural way for the person. You'll be forcing yourself to push/pull in that way when it may be better suited to do otherwise. This may be especially true if you very tall or short.
  • vorgas
    vorgas Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Go with free weights. Machines are really for rehab, sculpting a particular muscle, or working on a certain weakness.

If you're intimidated, get a session with a personal trainer at the gym to show you the ropes. You'll gain confidence as well as getting good tips on proper form.

If a trainer is right out, take a look at something like Stronglifts 5x5, New Rules Of Lifting For Women, or Starting Strength. Walk into the free weights with a plan and an understanding of the lifts you're doing. Understand that you belong there, same as anybody else interested in seriously improving their health.
  • guroprincess
    Options
    I go to a gym that doesn't have free weights (I know!) so I've been using the circuit. It works for me for now.

Free weights definitely let you have more control over your routine and such.
  • TheDarlingOne
    TheDarlingOne Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    all great replies thanks everyone!
  • odirish
    odirish Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    If you are a beginner I would recommend machines for maybe 2 weeks just to get your form down correctly. If you lift free weights and your form is off, you could injure yourself and maybe not work the muscle correctly. I would start with machines and do a circuit. Your form will not suffer on a machine unless your are slouching or do not have seat position adjusted to correct position. I've been lifting for 15 years , I currently lift 3 days a week alternating between machines and free weights to mix it up. I agree that if you join a gym, make sure you get a trainer to show you proper way to lift. You will usually get a few free sessions when joining. Just my opinion. Have fun with it :)

Mary Ann
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    Go with free weights. Machines are really for rehab, sculpting a particular muscle, or working on a certain weakness.

If you're intimidated, get a session with a personal trainer at the gym to show you the ropes. You'll gain confidence as well as getting good tips on proper form.

THIS^^^
    I bought 8 sessions ( 2x a week for 2 months) to work with a trainer to kind of formulate a workout...and loved it so much I worked with him for another six months!!

he had me doing all kinds of stuff with free weights. I had a lady come up to me on a day I was doing weights by myself and tell me that my trainer worked me HARD, like a MAN, but that I looked good :) Some of the muscled guys in the weight area have noticed my dedication and made positive comments ( one guy said he hadn't seen an overhand grip front squat in AGES).

you might want to see if the gym offers a free orientation to help members learn the equipment. Not only will the YMCA do an individual orientation upon request, they also have a series of free classes called "fitstart" where a trainer takes a small group around and shows them how to use the machines. Even though I am not a newbie ( been a member for almost 2 years now) I recently took the fitstart class that my trainer taught and learned things that were not covered a year ago when I took it from another trainer! You can also go up to a staff member and ask them to show you the machines that work a certain muscle group. recently I actually assisted staff at my gym b/c the only guy available had a sprained back and was not able to demonstrate the machine someone needed help with!!