Question about MFP's protein guidline

Options
I'm 46, 195lb and MFP is telling me to eat about 75g of protein per day. According to most things I read, they recommend 1g/lb of LBM. Just wondering why MFP would be coming in so low? I calculated my LBM based on a 23% body fat and that comes to 150g of Protein. Pretty much double of what MFP has as my target.

Another question, I set my activity to light, but I read where a lot of people are encouraging to set the activity to nothing and not take exercise into consideration for TDEE. I'm concerned I am not getting enough calories, but I'm not going hungry for the most part and haven't been getting dizzy; strength is still good in the gym. If I'm meeting my macro's, should I be concerned about my calories?

Replies

• 89nunu
    89nunu Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    mfp's protein targt is very low. It's more targeted to people that don't do strength training. You can manually change your ratios though.

If you go the mfp way you add your exercise and eat exercise calories back. If you do the tdee way, you go to a tdee calculator, like: scoobysworkshop.com and find out your tdee. Part of this process is putting in your activity level including exercise time. Once you got your tdee number you manually put it into mfp (up to -20% if you are cutting) this number then already includes your workouts and you do not eat back any calories from workouts

Only use the tdee method if you have a routine that doesn't change all the time.
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    I'm 32/M, ~180lbs and work out pretty frequently, and my protein is set to under 120g. And yeah, it's nice to set your activity to sedentary that way you know when you "earn" more food from exercise. I think 1g/lb of lbm is a bit high. If you're sedentary, it's .5-.6g, moderately active should be .8 or so IMO.

If you wanna eat more protein and feel like it's helping you with your energy and you're losing weight, then so be it. :)