Order of fat storage?

Options
Someone said in a thread 'most often the belly is primary storage...so it comes off last.'
I have excess fat on my arms so I was wondering,
Is there a list of how fat is stored on the body? Ie belly first, next bum, next arms etc.

Replies

• ladynocturne
    ladynocturne Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    It completely depends on the individual, there is no specific answer for all people.

I'm a pear shape and store next to nothing in my stomach area, thus I lost most of what little I had in my stomach first.

Basically, just monitor how your body loses weight during your weight loss.
  • stt43
    stt43 Posts: 487
    Options
    It depends on individual body shape, but generally it starts around your centre and moves outwards. If it didn't, the centre of your body would be light, and your arms and legs would be heavy, making movement more problematic.
  • VelveteenArabian
    VelveteenArabian Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    For me, I've noticed that I get thicker in areas in a certain order and then I lose it in the opposite order in which I put it on. So my hips will get smaller before my thighs for example but my thighs will get bigger before my hips. I tend to put on weight: belly, thighs, hips, arms and I lose it in the opposite order.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    It depends on the individual. A lot of women store most of their excess fat in the hips/thighs/bum area. A lot of men and some women store most of it in the abdomen/belly. These are often the last places to get lean and are thought of as "trouble spots". Everyone's different though. I was apple shaped when I was overweight, and the abdomen and back are where the last of my fat is lingering, although there's also some on my upper arms and thighs.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Someone said in a thread 'most often the belly is primary storage...so it comes off last.'
    Is there a list of how fat is stored on the body? Ie belly first, next bum, next arms etc.

You won't know where you lose last until you're losing it.

Individual results will always vary.

Unless you can remember where you put it on first.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    It's genetic.

I gain mostly in my love handles, and have never had a belly at all. My stomach is always very flat, but pants will be tights and love handles will spill over.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    just keep swimmin
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    "Krrrrrrrrrrsht, I'd like one order of fat storage and two orders of small fries and a chocolate milk shake. Thanks." *drivesawayfromwindow*
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options

You won't know where you lose last until you're losing it.

Individual results will always vary.

Unless you can remember where you put it on first.

My belly came off first (which is great news for my T&A loving hubby). First in a hyooge chunk when I gave birth, then another moderate chunk when I had my tummy tuck/lipo/hernia surgery, then finally in a gradual whoosh when I started my weight loss journey which in my case actually has been a weight loss gurney as well. Who knew?