FIT BIT

Options
i have been trying very hard to find the answer and i cant find one
does FITBIT track the calories that you burn just sitting around or only exercise because I'm in a wheelchair so i don't do much exercise mainly typing and fidgeting i heard somewhere that fidgeting helps burn a lot of calories
i do an arm bike a few times a week but i just want to know what i burn a day with regular movements SO after all that rambling i want to know

Will FIT BIT tell me what calories i am burning when i am not working out and i am just relaxing with minimal movements

Replies

• mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    Fitbit does track all of your calories, whether they are exercise or not.
  • toomanydogs99
    toomanydogs99 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Did you try to email the Fitbit customer service? They are very responsive in getting back with an answer.
  • jrbb03092
    jrbb03092 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Based on the information you give it - height, age, gender and weight - Fitbit will calculate your BMR (basal metabolic rate) which is what you burn just staying alive and then on top of that it will give you the calories for any activity it registers (more effective with step-based exercise) and anything you enter (you would do an "activity log" for your arm bike workout).
  • pgordemer
    pgordemer Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    When you set up your Fitbit (and link it to here), It knows you current weight and height information, so it can do basic BMR calculations. When I pick my up in the morning, it will say ZERO steps, but will already have shown about 520 calories burned since that is the calorie burn to just exist.

Keep in mInd the MFP also know about that. Just make sure you set your Lifestyle (sedentary/lightly active, etc) to be the same on fitbit site and MFP, and they will talk to each other correctly.
  • Bukawww
    Bukawww Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    This is why I like the BodyMedia...it uses your heart rate, body heat/moisture, movement, and the same basic calculators. It is probably not as comfortable to wear though. Its worth it to me to have an accurate reading of my daily burn. I plan to get a FitBit for maintenance where staying in a 'ballpark' will be fine.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    FitBit is basically a really fancy pedometer. Since you're not walking I don't think it would work very well for your needs.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    FitBit is basically a really fancy pedometer. Since you're not walking I don't think it would work very well for your needs.

I was thinking that as well. It's not really going to do much if you are not walking. You may be better off with a Body media instead. Fitbit, even at sedentary wont give you anything back here. It's not designed to count the arm bike at all, in fact you will be lucky if the flex or force pick that up correct at all.