advice for small gain goal

Options
Hi everyone

I have inadvertently dropped below goal weight and am very sure this is solely attributable to having given up chocolate and come off the contraceptive. For the record I am now about 102 pounds at a bit over 5' 4" and although I am small build I probably need to gain about 4 pounds or so. Ideally this would be muscle as I do need to gain some muscle mass and who enjoys gaining fat lol

I have been doing between a 16:8 and 19:5 intermittent fasting depending on schedule for about a year and am committed to the IF lifestyle for certain!!

I should add that due to medications I am on my net maintenance calories are 1000 (sad but true)

So I am looking for the healthiest way to gain mostly muscle with minimal fat gain. I already try to eat good amounts of protein and current training is about 8 or 9km of swimming each week some hill walking and am starting to get into strength training.

Replies

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Even if you really do believe that your maintenance calories are only 1000, you would have to eat above that in order to gain any weight. I would try to increase the calories by at least 250 for a few weeks and see what happens. Make sure you get enough protein and try to do some strength training for muscle building. Also, make sure you eat back any exercise calories you burn.
  • skywa
    skywa Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    if your only netting 1000 cals, isn't it pretty apparent why you arent gaining any weight?
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options
    if your only netting 1000 cals, isn't it pretty apparent why you arent gaining any weight?

As per my post that net for maintenance is due to being on specific medication and that has been worked out under a nutritionist etc. The issue for me is upping it to temporarily gain but want this to be predominantly muscle not fat.
  • webbeyes
    webbeyes Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Swimming, walking, etc are primarily cardio-based exercises, so you'll need to start blending in some strength training if you want to add muscle.

I'm on a gain program that includes a bit of an increased calorie count, and 5 days per week of strength/cardio mix. So far, I'm up 8lbs with no fat gain. Not noticeable to most people of course, not even my significant other!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    eat about 10% above your TDEE and lift heavy stuff. you dont need the cardio, it just means you'll have to eat more.
  • astrovivi
    astrovivi Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Don't believe that you can gain LBM without a little fat creeping on along the way.

Increase your kcals by 10-15%, track over a few weeks and see how you go.
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,871 Member
    Options
    You are very young. IMHO you need to eat things like French toast and bacon. Chef salads with full fat dressing. Protein with fat. You are too thin for your age. A twelve year old girl is about your weight and height. Eat and drink up! :drinker:
  • astrovivi
    astrovivi Posts: 183 Member
    Options

As per my post that net for maintenance is due to being on specific medication and that has been worked out under a nutritionist etc. The issue for me is upping it to temporarily gain but want this to be predominantly muscle not fat.

Given your condition and medication, I would still be skeptical of the maintenance kcals provided by your nutritionist. The best way to figure out your maintenance is to track your own progress.
    methods for working it out give numbers that don't account for individual variances (and that includes how you respond to your medication).

Be brave and don't put your health at further risk.