SQUAT CHALLENGE: Does it work for the really overweight?

If you are, you know, fat, will doing the squat challenge even work on you? I heard that you had to lose the fat, then focus on the squats and such. What's the deal? I want to try it but am afraid I won't see results.

Replies

• From what I understand... you can build muscle but you wont see as good of results as someone with less body fat % since you can't see it. For instance they always say "a six pack is made in the kitchen not the gym". Meaning it's mainly nutrition and some exercise. If you have large layers of fat over a bunch of muscle, its not gonna be a noticeable.

Tha'ts just from what I've taken from personal experience and some research.
  • You may not see the results right away but if you are focused mostly on fat loss I think you'll be surprised what tone you find under the fat when it comes off. That's how it worked for me.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    work on your diet....

you're diet will show you the results of the work.

The work doesn't show results- it gives you results- but you'll only see results because you'll feel better- be better. The diet shows the work though.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Don't wait till you've lost weight. Conserve the muscle mass you have now so you don't have to go through the impossible task of regaining it. And I'm not sure what the squat challenge is, but squats are never a bad thing when done properly.
  • PtheronJr
    PtheronJr Posts: 108 Member
    If you are, you know, fat, will doing the squat challenge even work on you? I heard that you had to lose the fat, then focus on the squats and such. What's the deal? I want to try it but am afraid I won't see results.

It'll help you conserve lean mass, help build your strength (which you CAN have tangible improvements with), despite being overweight. There are benefits even if you can't obviously see them on your body. I'd just say incorporate squats in general, keep the weight low while your weight is still high so as not to strain yourself and work it up.
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    You can do both. Lose weight (focusing on your diet) AND do squats, or deadlift or whatever...

If you are significantly overweight you might have to adjust your squat form to reach depth, your belly might make it uncomfortable, so widen your stance and angle your feet out to give your belly more space.
  • The heavier you are, the more energy you will be using. You will get better results from your efforts than a comparably fit person or very light person, for whom its easy to do.
    Take it slowly to do the movements correctly, and take a lot more time to do them overall , a few minutes a time throughout the day.
    I am presuming by your question, that you are unfamiliar with exercise
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Here's a thread I made earlier about squatting with extra padding...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/924179-fat-girl-squatting?hl=Fat+girl+squatting
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    squat challenge is doing a lot of bw squats. Initially this may be hard for you so it could help with LBM retention. If you can do more than about 15 at a time then you will be testing your muscular endurance and using your cardio system (ie. burning more calories)

So yes, it would be beneficial for you to help create a calorie deficit.

Obese beginners to resistance training are one of the few cases where it is possible to gain LBM and lose fat at the same time so take advantage of that.
  • sunman00
    sunman00 Posts: 872 Member
    it's been said a thousand times on here; you lose weight in the kitchen, you gain body definition in the gym, you have to stick to a caloric deficit to lose weight, simples

but the reason I'm replying to you is that if you are obese you have to take it easy on your joints, it's easy to get injured; I'd suggest starting walking, there's loads of articles around on it, start 20-30 minutes & look to build it up;

a little more exercise, a little less intake = the holy grail to weight loss

good luck :flowerforyou:
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    it's been said a thousand times on here; you lose weight in the kitchen, you gain body definition in the gym, you have to stick to a caloric deficit to lose weight, simples

but the reason I'm replying to you is that if you are obese you have to take it easy on your joints, it's easy to get injured; I'd suggest starting walking, there's loads of articles around on it, start 20-30 minutes & look to build it up;

a little more exercise, a little less intake = the holy grail to weight loss

good luck :flowerforyou:
    I'm just going to repeat the link to my friend's thread up there, you know, for emphasis. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/924179-fat-girl-squatting?hl=Fat+girl+squatting
  • Thanks guys! You guys are so very helpful! ????????
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Here's a thread I made earlier about squatting with extra padding...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/924179-fat-girl-squatting?hl=Fat+girl+squatting

Just here to add some cheering. This^^