Cheap Blenders?

Options
My beloved blender mixed it's last smoothie today. I'm so sad that I think I might have a funeral for it. However, I also need to quickly replace it. In January I plan on investing in a nice blender, but I can't spend more than $50 on one right now (and I know $50 isn't going to buy me a nice blender, I'm budgeting $200 - $300 for one). Anyone have any short term success with a crappy $40 blender? If so, what brand do you have? I just need it to get me through the next two months blending smoothies and making sauces.

Replies

• MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    lol...well, I got mine from Dave and Busters :laugh:

It's a Hamilton Beach and I've probably had it for about 10 years, still works perfectly. From what I can see on the website, it's probably around $40
  • iggyboo93
    iggyboo93 Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Osterizer. I've got 2 of them - they were given to me by my parents and are probably older than me (40s). They still work great. Just priced them online - they aren't more than $40.
  • kodiakke
    kodiakke Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Don't forget to look on Craigslist as well. I've seen kitchen tools that people purchase and then don't use, so you may be able to pick up something there.

Cheers!
  • YesIAm17
    YesIAm17 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I have and love the Living Solutions Personal Blender. Costs about $20 at Walgreens.
  • zenalasca
    zenalasca Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Blender bottles may look cheap but they don't blend anything (despite the advertizing that they can).
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    I got the little Hamilton Beach one for $12 on Amazon and it lasted me about a year and a half. So if you're looking for something to tide you over until you can really invest in a great blender, that might be an option. Especially if it's for smoothies. It didn't blend perfectly on anything harder than fruit, but it made great smoothies, I could just travel with the cup, and it didn't take up too much room. I would just make a smoothie in the morning, drink, rinse, and repeat. I liked having less dishes too.
  • ujjz
    ujjz Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Osterizer. I've got 2 of them - they were given to me by my parents and are probably older than me (40s). They still work great. Just priced them online - they aren't more than $40.
    Exactly what I use, and it's also the 'family blender'. It's 70's beige, but still works great.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I got the little Hamilton Beach one for $12 on Amazon and it lasted me about a year and a half. So if you're looking for something to tide you over until you can really invest in a great blender, that might be an option. Especially if it's for smoothies. It didn't blend perfectly on anything harder than fruit, but it made great smoothies, I could just travel with the cup, and it didn't take up too much room. I would just make a smoothie in the morning, drink, rinse, and repeat. I liked having less dishes too.

It's the one I have and I want another one... there's always a puree of not properly blended stuff at the bottom. Bleh.

I'm still looking as well, I posted something about this last week but most suggestions were $100 or more, which is too much for me to spend on something I don't use that much.
  • ziggypop93
    ziggypop93 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Oh the Osterizer! My mom had one of those growing up. I bet I could find one at Goodwill pretty cheap too. Looks like I'm hitting the thrift shops today!