How Much does 45 Minutes of HIIT on a Treadmill burn?

Options
Hello Everyone,

I have started to do High Intensity Interval Training on the treadmill. I sprint for 30 Seconds then rest for 30 seconds and repeat for 45 minutes. Gosh it takes alot out of me. Now i have looked heaps online about how many calories it actually burns roughly like some kind of calculator but cannot find anything. I am just wondering am I better of doing HIIT 6 days a week for 45 minutes or just jog or walk for an hour on the treadmill. I am not that educated on fitness so sorry if i sound silly or what not. I am looking to lose kilograms per month. I do strength training twice per week and will be starting Pilates 2 times a week soon. My ULTIMATE goal is to lose 50kgs ( 110Pounds ), But i am happy with taking it slowly.

Thanks and God Bless :-)

Replies

• Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    this is a very individual question. Due to size and physiological differences, what I burn is likely massively different from what you burn.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    HITT should not be sustainable for that long. If you can do more than 20 minutes you aren't at a high enough intensity. Not that there is anything wrong with intervals, its just different from HITT. Also, it's not something you want to do 6 days a week, you are risking injury. If you want to do 6 days of cardio, I would split it with something less intense.

As for calories, I always just logged total time at one speed and total time at the other for an estimate. Nothing is going is be exact anyway. Even a heart rate monitor that people will inevitably suggest won't be totally accurate as it is intended to estimate calories during steady state cardio and intervals will affect accuracy.
  • candiceh3
    Options
    HITT should not be sustainable for that long. If you can do more than 20 minutes you aren't at a high enough intensity. Not that there is anything wrong with intervals, its just different from HITT. Also, it's not something you want to do 6 days a week, you are risking injury. If you want to do 6 days of cardio, I would split it with something less intense.

As for calories, I always just logged total time at one speed and total time at the other for an estimate. Nothing is going is be exact anyway. Even a heart rate monitor that people will inevitably suggest won't be totally accurate as it is intended to estimate calories during steady state cardio and intervals will affect accuracy.

THIS

If you can do it for 45 minutes, next time really ramp up the intensity of the sprints and give yourself less rest time, so that you are absolutely shattered after 20 minutes.

Doing intervals is a bit like lifting weights, you can't do them every day because the explosive nature of the action means your muscles need 48 hours rest.
  • Lift2Shift
    Lift2Shift Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hello Mariya,

I agree with each of the previous posts. What you burn is relative to the rest and working speeds and durations as well as your body composition. Forty-five minutes is too long to get real benefit out of HIIT if you are working at the correct intensity. Duration isn't the key - train harder, not longer. If you really want to see rapid improvement and heightened BMR gradually increase the length of each interval and coincide the rest period to reflect your required recovery. I.E. if you are currently doing 30/30 rest and work for 45 mins try:

5min warm up
    45s work, 30s rest for 20mins (tops) at the highest intensity you can manage
    5min cool down
    2-3 times per week

Then gradually build up to:
    5min w/u
    60s work, 30s rest over 20mins
    5min c/d
    2-3 times per week

Before you hit
    5min w/u
    90s work, 60s rest over 20mins
    5min c/d
    2-3 times per week

Anything over a minute of effort I'd suggest at least a minute recovery if you're just starting this type of training. Soon you'll be delving into the Tempo training and sustained Fartlek which seems to be what you are trying to do without establishing the base level of fitness required for these techniques.

I hope this has been of some help to you?